walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

ring of steal

ring of steal

Postby wilkie » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:58 am

A group of us are walking the ring of steal on Saturday, some are wanting to do it anti clockwise, my question is which way is better clockwise or anti clockwise :?
wilkie
Munro compleatist

Munros:41   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Re: ring of steal

Postby IamAJMiller » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:47 am

I've only done it clockwise but it was a fantastic route, cracking walking with views to die for. If there are any negatives it might be that the Devils ridge is looming in front of you for hours and hours before you reach it so for anyone worried about it, it might get in their head a wee bit (there's no need, by the way, it's a very straightforward section if you take your time). The other downside is the horrendous trudge off Sgurr a Mhaim which just seems to go on forever, destroying your knees! That said I imagine the decent off An Gearanach would be bad when doing it anitclockwise.
IamAJMiller
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   Corbetts:34
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:18   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:78   

Postby garyoppolis » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:13 pm

If you do it anti-clockwise, you'll have the wire bridge to do after your legs have turned to jelly.
garyoppolis

Munros:136   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:1   

Postby asbotastic » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:50 pm

I did three weeks ago clockwise. As advised by the previous responder the Devil's ridge was straightforward. There is a ridge before it that I found more exposed but managed it no problem - and I don't like heights. Would not be much fun on a windy day though! It is a tiring day for the fit....

Have alook at the link below for some advice on decent, it can be dangerous if you go the wrong way.....ahhhhh...........ahhhh....splat.

http://www.mcofs.org.uk/ring-of-steall.asp

Good walking.
asbotastic
Hill Bagger

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:10   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:1

Postby wilkie » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:19 pm

I think clockwise is the way to go, thanks for the feedback guys :)
wilkie
Munro compleatist

Munros:41   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Gythral » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:36 pm

Clockwise - get the bridge out of the way!

Last time I was there it was a wade a bit further upstream as the bridge was 'unsafe''...
And the previous visit had a smirk at the 2 "lads" trying to cross way to close to nevis gorge because of the bridge issue :)
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion