walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Wild animals

Re: Wild animals

Postby Sgurr » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:22 pm

Try googling Kate Stone stag attack. Mind you, my predictive texting said stag bored woman when I tried to write stag gored woman,......the former is far mire likely.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:44 pm

Watch out for these, scary enough to make me run the other way :shock:
IMG_1752.JPG
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Old Stag » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:46 pm

There are poisonous snakes called adders here, a type of viper. They are shy and haven't killed anyone for decades but you need to know they are there.
I have had a really bad night camping during stag rutting season. Do not underestimate them. Other than that, just be aware and prepared for getting ticks. Some of them carry Lymes disease.
Old Stag

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:56 am

Old Stag wrote:There are poisonous snakes called adders here, a type of viper. They are shy and haven't killed anyone for decades but you need to know they are there.
I have had a really bad night camping during stag rutting season. Do not underestimate them. Other than that, just be aware and prepared for getting ticks. Some of them carry Lymes disease.

That's a point : here is an adder. They'll probably be hibernating by October but you never know. I've heard of them being out sunbathing between snow patches in April.
Glen Lui Adder August 08 #1.JPG
Adder, Glen Lui , Braes O' Mar.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Sgurr » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:02 am

I forgot about reindeer. They can be bad too
http://caledonianmercury.com/2010/11/23 ... ole/001335

But only on rare occasions....apparently this one was eating heather which may not have agreed with it, as they usually go for moss.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby rgallie » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:48 pm

I do wonder now the stags are rutting do they pose much risk to walkers?

A solo walk at dawn with the sound of barking in nearby trees sure gets the mind wandering :lol:
rgallie
Munro compleatist

Munros:69   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby CharlesT » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:01 pm

rgallie wrote:I do wonder now the stags are rutting do they pose much risk to walkers?

A solo walk at dawn with the sound of barking in nearby trees sure gets the mind wandering :lol:

I had a wild camp near Loch a'Bhraoin in late October one year and was surrounded by roaring stags, some so close I felt my tent was at risk. Worst night's sleep or lack of I've ever hsd. :shock: i could of happily shot the lot of 'em. :lol:

On a more serious note, Red Deer stags can be bloody dangerous. A farm hand was killed by one on a deer farm near where I used to live in Hampshire. I've also had one stand his ground to me forcing a judicious detour.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:56 pm

CharlesT wrote:
rgallie wrote:I do wonder now the stags are rutting do they pose much risk to walkers?

On a more serious note, Red Deer stags can be bloody dangerous. A farm hand was killed by one on a deer farm near where I used to live in Hampshire. I've also had one stand his ground to me forcing a judicious detour.

Agreed - they can be dangerous any time of year but especially in the rut. A woman was once killed at a deer farm when her child went through the fence and was attacked by a stag - the woman went in to save the child but was killed by the stag, the child survived. A gamekeepr was also gored in the leg and nearly bled to death as it hit an artery. I've been harrassed by them, don't think they wont go for you; they are wild animals.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby esipats » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:59 pm

Thanks for all warnings and all usefull information. Yesterday I climbed to Arthur's seat. Only wild animals what I was met there was youngsters from Germany. Today walk from Edinburgh to South Queensferry - just nice birds and funny squirrels. :D
esipats
Mountaineer

Sub 2000:1   

Postby CharlesT » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:15 am

esipats wrote:just nice birds... :D

It's no longer considered politically correct to refer to the fine Edinburgh gentlewomen like that you know. :shock: :lol:
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Boris_the_Bold » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:25 pm

But calling them 'funny squirrels' is OK?
Boris_the_Bold
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:38
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:8   Islands:32

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion