walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

4,000er Challenge starts 19th June

4,000er Challenge starts 19th June

Postby bio-man » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:14 pm

Well, eventually the 'Challenge starts tomorrow 1300 hour from the Ski Centre at Cairngorm. The weather's picked up and from http://www.mwis.org.uk things are looking better than was expected. There are 4 of us going tomorrow and all from the Walk HIghlands site!!! Is that a record :D

Myth.....John Burgess....Maddjock and myself

First up is Cairn Gorm and over to Ben MacDui. A descent into the Lairaig Ghru and an overnight at or in Corrour Bothy.

Day 2 is the long one!! Bod an Deamhain, Cairn Toul, Sgor an Lochan Uaine, finishing off with a wee meander over to Braeriach :)

It's going to be a great couple of days, but for all of you, bear in mind, these are 4 guys who have met through this site and believe in the purpose of what's actually behind it all. Raising funds for Mountain Rescue!!

So how about a concerted effort from this excellent site and get behind teams that might, one day, save one of our lives...they saved mine :D .

http://www.mtunney.wordpress.com Many small and large companies have donated fabulous raffle prizes. That was the easy part.....the hardest seems to be selling tickets!!! The prize list is on the blog and it's growing!! Latest is a fantastic package from the Green Welly in TYndrum!!

Or just donate via the blog.......or just email me

Slainte

Michael
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

Re: 4,000er Challenge starts 19th June

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:16 pm

Really good luck to you all for the first leg... and let us know how you get on. Have finally just made our donation through Charity Choice, and will be thinking of you tomorrow (I'm helping to carry a new door to a bothy :shock: ) - hope the weather is better than this moment! Then see you soon...

PS - The donate button on Michael's website is missing at the moment as the Oban MRT website is undergoing maintenance. To donate to Michael's appeal for Oban Mountain Rescue Team, you can click here to make your donation. Remember to leave a message on Michael's blog.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby bio-man » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:01 pm

Thanks for that and the donation!!! :D

See you on the 2nd stage!!!
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Postby maddjock » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:48 am

sorry, kept missing your calls yesterday Michael, just finished work, got a few things to do, but I'll be there for 1pm...
looking forward to it... :D
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Postby maddjock » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:44 am

A few pics from day 1...
getting ready
IMG_2429.jpg

a nice gentle walk to begin
IMG_2430.jpg

weather takes a turn as we reach the summit, a little bit of shelter at the weather station
IMG_2435.jpg

IMG_2437.jpg

and a group pose
IMG_2438.jpg

unfortunately I left the brave 3 as they continued on their way, I had other things to attend to last night and today. I hope the weather improved for them.
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Postby Alan S » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:12 am

a couple of good shots there maddjock
its a pity you hard to turn back
best of luck to you all for the rest of the trip
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby John Burgess » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:26 am

Nice photos Maddjock - especially considering the conditions!
The poor weather actually lasted until we were heading across for Lochan Buidhe then it started to clear.

4000's Cairngorms 004.jpg

Myth had always had clear views from Macdui. Me, I think It's one of my jinxed mountains. In 9 previous visits I've seen the view twice. Fortunately Myth's good luck prevailed giving us a view of the challenge to come :D

4000's Cairngorms 010.jpg
The view from Macdui

Corrour was a welcome shelter on a damp night but, by morning, the weather was starting to clear.

4000's Cairngorms 014.jpg

4000's Cairngorms 023.jpg
On the way up Cairn Toul

4000's Cairngorms 031.jpg
Michael arriving at the summit

4000's Cairngorms 047.jpg
Looking back from Braeriach

That just left the descent - including, of course, that 'delightful' bit of ascent up to the Chalamain gap :o
It was Michael's first experience of the particular delights of this bit of the Cairngorms - as he succinctly put it 'I'll get a photo of this because I'm not coming back' :lol:

4000's Cairngorms 053.jpg
Can you spot Bioman?

Three weary walkers arrived back at Myth's van but here's a final shot of three happy walkers.

4000's Cairngorms 048.jpg
Braeriach Summit - the final peak of stage 1.

A good couple of days in the hills but that, for once, wasn't the point. What Michael's doing is tremendous and it was a privilege to be able to join him for this first stage. It'll only be a success, though, if as many of us as possible get out news of what he's doing and get those donations rolling in :D
John Burgess

Munros:282   Corbetts:144
Fionas:78   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:214   

Postby bio-man » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:16 pm

Thanks for that John, an excellent, though tiring, couple of days and glad to see the back of it....especially the Chalamain Gap!! Wouldn't fancy it in the wet!!

The change in conditions on the way up Cairn Gorm was incredible and very fast, no wonder folk get caught out. The descent from Ben MacDui was especially tricky and I was happy to reach Corrour. Surprised to see only two guys in the bothy and only another 2 folk turning up later.

The ascent from the bothy to the bealach between Devil's Point and Cairn Toul gets the blood pumping and I was especially glad that the weather was clearing. This traverse of the west side of the Lairig Ghru is hard in good conditions and I didn't fancy a repeat of yesterday. The trek from Angel's Peak across the plateau to Braeriach looks very long and it is but there are fabulous views of the cliffs and also back to Cairn Toul. A satisfying feeling on the summit :D

The descent to the Lairig Ghru isn't particulary pleasant and the ominous sight of the start of the Chalamain Gap wasn't appealing either. Rory was talking it up..."lucky not to break a leg"!! :shock: As John said, I'd never ventured through here before, now I knew why. Having a right arm that doesn't fully straighten was looking to be a severe liability..... nothing ventured though and it wasn't actually that bad.

Was happy to reach Rory's camper and the end of Stage 1. I'm very glad to get this stage out of the way.... 32km roughly, although I don't know the total ascent, maybe Rory could help with that!!

Thanks to Jonh, Rory and David, three good friends made and thanks to Wolfstone again for a wee bit of inspiration on the iPod!!

Roll on Stage 2 - Dalwhinnie to Corrour 30th June
Attachments
Lairig Ghru form Braeriach.JPG
Looking back
Sgor an Lochain Uaine and Braeriach Plateau.JPG
Great view but a long walk ahead
Chalamain Gap.JPG
You've got to try it...once!!
Beneath Braeriach summit.JPG
Stunning
Cairn Toul and Sgor an Lochain Uaine.JPG
Start of a scary descent from Ben MacDui.JPG
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:51 am

Congrats on the first stage.... I was feeling really sorry for you over the weekend as the weather has been poor here, so glad to see you did get clear tops. Roll on stage 2!
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby bio-man » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:13 am

Thanks Paul, the second day would've been harder going if the conditions were the same as the first!! Will ring you mid-week re stage 2.
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion