walkhighlands

Have you lost or found some gear when out in the hills?

MISSING DOG- Loch Droma- Loch Glasgarnoch

MISSING DOG- Loch Droma- Loch Glasgarnoch

Postby spiderwebb » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:36 am

Hi,

Long shot but my Springer Spaniel 'Sam' went missing descending the singleton munro at the western end of Loch Glasgarnoch (Ullapool road). This was about 1500hrs on Wed 12th October.
having reported it to Dingwall police I got a call at 0015 hrs to say a lorry driver had seen him between Lochs Droma and Glasgarnoch but despite rushing back and calling/whistling could find no trace ! Came home at 0500.

The driver saw me while I was there and said Sam was near the old caravans just west of the Met Station car park (used for the Fannichs), but I drove betweeen Braemar Junction and Loch Glasgarnoch many times to no avail, eventually had to come home to sleep. Driver tried to get him in his cab but he wouldn't have none of it (grumpy git).

I've had no further reports.

He is chipped and has a black collar with his name, address and my mobile.

Sam is an English Springer Spaniel, Liver (brown) and white. Head all brown. He can be a grumpy bugger but any form of food will get past that especially now as he has been out all night.

I'm off now to take a look in the daylight, but if any one hears anything either call Dingwall Police or me on mobile 07777 692705 or home 01463 871162 and leave a message,

many thanks

Dave
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Re: MISSING DOG- Loch Droma- Loch Glasgarnoch

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:42 am

Sorry to hear that Dave. We've tweeted and put on facebook too; good luck.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby RicKamila » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:50 am

Hope you find your dog safe and well soon Dave.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby orion » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:11 pm

Best of luck with the seach Dave.
Might be worth contacting the bus company that runs between Inversneckie and Ullapool and asking the drivers to ask the passengers to keep their eyes peeled for him. Maybe Calmac could make an announcement on the ferry in to Ullapool from Stornoway to do likewise for drivers heading south.
Alex.
orion

Postby skyesue » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:31 pm

Have you informed Dog Lost? They will crosspost information for you too. I have posted on facebook and no doubt my spaniel owning friends will cross post.
Hope you get him home soon
skyesue

Munros:25   

Postby Red Peak » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:17 pm

skyesue wrote:Have you informed Dog Lost?

I was going to suggest the same thing. They really pull out all the stops in trying to help you get your dog back. I definitely recommend it.

http://www.doglost.co.uk/

Good luck. I hope Sam is back with you soon.
Red Peak
Munro compleatist

Munros:260   Corbetts:27
Fionas:23   Donalds:39
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:313
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Slogger » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:38 pm

Terrible, hope you are reunited soon.
We got seperated from my mates dog a few years ago on some desolate moors in Lancashire on a wet misserable day. We scoured the area for several hours but could find no trace, so we headed for a tarmac hill road leading to a transmitter mast.
We were going to go home and call out other members of our Fell running club and do a big sweep.
However whilst walking up this road, some walkers asked if we were looking for a dog (they could read the concern on our faces). Yes was out reply and were directed a quarter of a mile further along to a gate.
There he was sat waiting patiently, until he saw us and sprang towards us wagging his tail.
I hope your search ends with the same good result.
Dave.
Slogger
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:125
Wainwrights:141   

Postby spiderwebb » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:36 pm

Many thanks all, have posted on Dogs Lost and also Lost Dogs Scotland.

been up there all day today and nothing, still can't beleive the grumpy git didn't get in the lorry cab and I wouldn't be going through this.

keep wanting to go back and wait, don't feel right sitting at home.

Going back up at 2300 just in case given that was when he appeared last night, not that the dog has a watch. And will be back up ther again tomorrow and probably the next and the ........

Police know as do gamekeepers, and the residents of the old bus/caravan in the layby west of the Met Staion car park, as thats where he was at midnight last night but go knows where he wnet in those 40 minutes it took me to get there !!

Will pull off the posters from the Dogs Lost and stick them up tomorrow.
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby Border Reiver » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:14 pm

Dogs know where home is & will head for there if lost. I lost mine in the middle of a huge forest near where I lived, when he took off after a deer. Despite a lot of searching he didn't show, so I went home for a bite to eat. When I drove back to search some more, there he was sitting behind the roadside fence, almost in a direct line between where he disappeared and where we lived. I thought he would have followed our scent back to where the car had been parked, but no he headed straight for home and it was the fence that stopped him getting there. I hope yours turns up soon, good luck.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby KeithS » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:23 pm

Sorry to hear about your dog. I know quite a few people who use that road on a regular (nearly daily) basis and have put the word out to look out for him. They would report any sightings.
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby andyfitz » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:32 pm

hope sam is back home (chastised and repentant) very soon. Keep us posted. Hopefully no need but if no progress by saturday i will try and get walking in that area with a couple of my dugs and a pocket full of biscuits.
andyfitz

Munros:191   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:18

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:48 pm

Hopefully he will turn up mate !

I mind my step dad came in one night ever so slighty drunk and didn't close the door properly. When I got up at 4am for a drink, I saw the door was lying wide open and Molly was gone.

I ended up walking about my village with a wee squeeky toy at 4 in the morning. I gave up after an hour looking and just hoped she would come home. Woke up at 8:30 and the rain came on, 10 minutes later she was scratching the door :lol:

He'll turn up in the end :)
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Postby Rekrab » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:26 am

I've got a mate who lives in dingwall and i sent him a link.

MacKenzie,
Rekrab
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:45

Postby spiderwebb » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:33 am

many thanks all.

Had no luck last night havingh gone back at 2230 hrs until 0130hrs, about the time he was seen by the lorry driver on Wed night.

Put a couple of posters up at the Met stn car park east end of Loch Droma and one at the bus station Braemore junction.

Going to grab a bite (not that I feel like it) and going back around lunchtime with my bitch Holly. She mey tease him out.
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby Eskimo » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:52 am

I really hope you find him bud. I really feel for you as a dog owner myself. I would be destroyed if anything happended to mine. I highly commend you on your efforts, keep your chin up and keep looking!
Eskimo

Munros:116   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:13   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Lost and Found