walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

mobile phone coverage and emergency

Re: mobile phone coverage and emergency

Postby Billymaca » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:03 am

More info on how triangulation works in simple terms, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4738219.stm
Billymaca
Scrambler

Postby MacCookie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:18 am

ChrisW wrote:
Slogger wrote:Thanks for that Billy, but what I don't understand is - if your mobile has no signal at all in the hills, then the emergency call centre will not have any reception from it. They are after all a line of sight (albeit airwaves) communication system.
Dave.

Hi Slogger, SPOT is a connection system that ( effectively) turns your mobile into a satellite phone - have a squint at this site http://www.findmespot.eu/en/index.php?cid=116 for the 'how it works' description :D

Pedant: SPOT offers a system known as SPOT Connect that can be connected to your mobile phone and allows your mobile to connect to the rest of the world via satellite. However SPOT offer a number of different devices, such as the SPOT Personal Tracker, which will connect to a satellite phone network, but won't connect to your mobile phone.

Ewan
MacCookie
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   

Postby Slogger » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:17 pm

Billy,
Thanks, yes I understand what you mean now, like you say the problem is not knowing if any signal has got through.
CHris and Ewan,
Thanks, I didn't know about that SPOT device to combine with your mobile. I have however owned a SPOT Tracker for a couple years now. Its a great peace of mind device when going solo and for letting my wife track my progress when on multi day long distance walks.
Dave.
Slogger
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:125
Wainwrights:141   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion