walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

need your collective wisdom as I plan for next summer

need your collective wisdom as I plan for next summer

Postby vmhughes » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:54 pm

Greetings fellow outdoor enthusiasts:

I hope to presume upon this forum for some help. I live in Portland, Oregon on the west coast of the US and am planning a 50th birthday celebration (my own) for next summer. A week's hiking in the wilds of Scotland has been on my 'bucket list' for some time. I think being fortunate enough to live a half century constitutes the right time to hit the trails, so to speak.

I would appreciate, please, some recommendations for tour/operating companies that can help with the planning. Specifically, my wish list includes:
--5 or 6 days of rigorous hiking carrying a day pack. Those hiking are in mountain/walking shape. We want to be tired at the end of the day. Don't need a guide to accompany us.
-- luggage transported to the next destination
-- breakfast and dinner available either as part of the package or that is easily accessible from where we stop for the day

Here's the kicker: the week will culminate with a whole storm of people not able to hike (or unwilling to) meeting up with us and spending several days together.

In other words, I am planning for the hike and then finding accommodation for up to 16 people at the end.

There it is. I value any time you choose to spend offering comments and suggestions.
Yours in excitement for the next fifty,
Vanessa
vmhughes
Munro compleatist

Re: need your collective wisdom as I plan for next summer

Postby highlander99 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:46 pm

Sounds like your best bet would be one of the long distance treks such as the West Highland Way and add on the Great Glen Way at the end if it didn t seem challenging enough!
highlander99
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:119   Donalds:8

Postby jmarkb » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:31 am

Yes, West Highland Way would be the obvious choice - right length, quite a few companies offering accomodation and luggage transfer packages, and finishes in Fort William where there is plenty of accomodation for your group. Fort William itself is not that exciting, but there are plenty of opportunities for day trips in the surrounding area.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby kmai1961 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:24 am

Agree that the WHW would probably best suit your requirements for accommodation, baggage transfer, party at the end, etc.

You could always bump up the challenge level by including Ben Lomond, the "high route" for the Rannoch Moor section (see http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10296 for a description of the route), and Ben Nevis at the end.
kmai1961
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:94   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:52   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:39   Islands:24

Postby vmhughes » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:19 pm

From Vanessa:
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the initial suggestions from tour companies have been WHW and Great Glen Way. They are near Glasgow, thus facilitating easy access from airports.
My hesitation with these popular routes is just that: they are popular and crowded.
Perhaps I'm just being fussy and trying to over-engineer the experience, but I am hoping for more gorse and fewer people.

I will look into the additional peaks to test our blisters (grin).

Any thoughts on something West? The Kintyre peninsula?
vmhughes
Munro compleatist

Postby jmarkb » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:06 pm

It's tricky: remoteness and convenience are somewhat mutually exclusive!

This company offers accommodation and baggage transfer packages for some of the less popular long distance walks (e.g. Kintyre Way, Rob Roy Way) https://www.absoluteescapes.com/walking-holidays-in-scotland.html
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Essan » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:06 pm

The WHW is certainly the obvious suggestion, but you are right - you will see plenty of people.

vmhughes wrote:
Any thoughts on something West? The Kintyre peninsula?

There is the Kintyre Way, but not sure if any companies offer luggage carrying services. It is not all remote, but certainly less popular and you will see places most of us here haven't!

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/argyll/kintyre-way.shtml

There is a coach service between Glasgow and Campbeltown

Alternatively, perhaps the Skye Way?

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/skye-trail.shtml

Stunning scenery! But again, not sure if any companies offer a luggage service
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...