walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hello from sunny Florida

Hello from sunny Florida

Postby AdrienneO » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:42 pm

Since I've been visiting this website almost every day for the past few months, I figured I should probably just give in and register as a member. So hello! My name is Adrienne, and I am a hiker/climber/outdoor enthusiast from Florida (where the walks are not plentiful). I'll be visiting Scotland for a 2 week trip in September and October, and I already have loads of hikes from this site added to my itinerary. :)

I did have a couple of questions and am hoping that some of the regulars here can help me out! Firstly, I am looking to hike The Whangie and Devil's Pulpit one afternoon. I can find where to park for the Whangie with no problems, but figuring out where to park for the Devil's Pulpit is proving difficult. Could anyone tell me where exactly is best to park and how to get to the pulpit?
Also, I've got a full day set aside for hiking in the Loch Lomond/Trossachs. In your opinions, what's your absolute favorite walk in that area?
Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Also, on another note, I just wanted to thank you all for making this such an incredible website. I have never encountered such detailed walk descriptions/photographs/driving directions/route maps/user reports/you-name-it on websites from the USA... If anything, this website puts every other hiking site I've seen to shame, so kudos to all of you! :clap:
AdrienneO
Mountaineer

Corbetts:1

Re: Hello from sunny Florida

Postby martin.h » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:04 am

Hi Adrienne, welcome to walkhighlands. I hope the weather is kind to you on your forthcoming visit.
I can't help you with the parking question but as an introduction to the Loch Lomond/Trossachs area, Ben Lomond is a good, straight forward walk amongst some fantastic scenery.
Have a great time.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby SuperMillie » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:23 am

Hi Adrienne and a warm welcome to WH.

Unfortunately I can't help with the parking issue either (I'm sure someone will be able to help you there) but I would say that if your visiting the Loch Lomond area you should definitely have yourself a wee hike up The Cobbler (from Arrochar), it's a lovely wee walk and a cracking hill. If you still have the time and energy and fancy tackling a munro or two, you could always throw in Ben Ime and\or Ben Narnain for good measure while you're there.

Hope you have a great visit
SuperMillie
Munro compleatist

Munros:108   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:12

Postby SuperMillie » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:28 pm

I did a bit of digging around for The Whangie and The Devils Pulpit as I'v never been to either.
They look like great places to visit so thought I'd find out a bit more.

From what I can see (guys please put me right if this is total b****cks) :D
This is where you should go for parking:

Using maps.google.co.uk
Enter the co-ordinates provided
Use street view to see where you are on the map (use the green pointers not the orange disks for navigation)

The Whangie Parking (Queens View Car Park A809)
Park here for The Whangie:
55.997579, -4.387728

For The Devils Pulpit, drive (approx 2 miles) from Queen's View Car Park towards Drymen and park in the following spot:

The Devils Pulpit (Finnich Glen) Parking\Access (A809\B834)
56.034243,-4.419551

Either go through the gate on the bend and head for the woods or walk back along the A809 to the following spot:
The Devils Pulpit (Finnich Glen) Access (A809)
56.031749,-4.41792

Go through the metal gate (if you can) or climb the wall and head East.
A hundred yards or so to the East there is a steep path leading to the bottom of the gorge.The path is known as Jacob`s Ladder.
SuperMillie
Munro compleatist

Munros:108   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:12

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:56 pm

Try some of these : http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/arealomo/index.html , http://www.lochkatrine.com/ , http://gouk.about.com/od/scotlandtravel/ss/robroybalquhidd.htm , http://www.incallander.co.uk/lochtay.htm

I reckon Loch Katrine is well worth a visit, with a trip on board the Sir Walter Scott. Killin and Kenmore are interesting scenic wee villages at either end of Loch Tay ( no old steam ship tours there, sorry). Balquidder is another interesting tiny hamlet in the Trossachs, where Rob Roy MacGregor is buried in the churchyard. A nice hike from there is up behind the churchyard to the top of the hill, with spectacular views all around.
And of course you must go to the old Drovers' Inn at Inverarnan. And the Crannog Centre near Kenmore on Loch Tay. And if you're eating or drinking in Killin please avoid the terrible but quaint-looking old pub by the bridge, go over the bridge to the better pub/restaurant a bit further. And beware of rutting stags at that time of year. Glen Lyon is very nice at that season, the beech trees all turn copper. Then of course there's ancient and mystical Fortingall...
April 2014 054a1.jpg
April 2014 052a1.jpg
April 2014 045a1.jpg
April 2014 022b.JPG
April 2014 042a1.jpg
Rob Roy's Putting~Stone
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby AdrienneO » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:37 pm

SuperMillie wrote:For The Devils Pulpit, drive (approx 2 miles) from Queen's View Car Park towards Drymen and park in the following spot:

The Devils Pulpit (Finnich Glen) Parking\Access (A809\B834)
56.034243,-4.419551

Either go through the gate on the bend and head for the woods or walk back along the A809 to the following spot:
The Devils Pulpit (Finnich Glen) Access (A809)
56.031749,-4.41792

Go through the metal gate (if you can) or climb the wall and head East.
A hundred yards or so to the East there is a steep path leading to the bottom of the gorge.The path is known as Jacob`s Ladder.

Thank you so much, SuperMillie! This is absolutely perfect!

Also, thanks to everyone else for all of your recommendations for the Trossachs!
AdrienneO
Mountaineer

Corbetts:1

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...