walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Knee injury and Lairi Ghru

Knee injury and Lairi Ghru

Postby WanderingAl » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:13 pm

Dear all,
A group of us are planning to do the Lairig Ghru on Saturday but I have a bit of a knee problem. Apparently it's a chondral lesion on my patella femoral joint - who knew? General walking is fine and it only starts to irk after 5 miles or so. I did 12 miles last week and although it was sore, (especially after the event) I managed fine.
I suppose I'm looking for a bit of guidance from those with experience of the Lairig Ghru about whether I should attempt it or not. Also, is strapping advisable. I have a reasonably good level of fitness and walk frequently.
Any advice would be welcome.
Alana :? :?
WanderingAl
Mountaineer

Re: Knee injury and Lairi Ghru

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:25 pm

WanderingAl wrote:Dear all,
A group of us are planning to do the Lairig Ghru on Saturday but I have a bit of a knee problem. Apparently it's a chondral lesion on my patella femoral joint - who knew? General walking is fine and it only starts to irk after 5 miles or so. I did 12 miles last week and although it was sore, (especially after the event) I managed fine.
I suppose I'm looking for a bit of guidance from those with experience of the Lairig Ghru about whether I should attempt it or not. Also, is strapping advisable. I have a reasonably good level of fitness and walk frequently.
Any advice would be welcome.
Alana :? :?

I would recommend not trying the Lairig Ghru or any other rough terrain until you have healed properly. It is all rocks for miles, which will only make your knee much worse.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...