walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dufton Pike, Backstone Edge and High Cup

Dufton Pike, Backstone Edge and High Cup

Postby Broggy1 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:52 pm

Date walked: 19/04/2014

Time taken: 2.55

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 756m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I arrived in Long Marton near Appleby on Saturday afternoon with the weather a little cooler than the day before but still very pleasant.

It was 2pm when I left Dufton for the easy stroll to the foot of Dufton Pike and then the short but steep ascent up to it's immaculate conical summit. Both Dufton Pike and nearby Murton Pike are small by hill standards but certainly make up two of the best short walks in the North Pennine area.

The views from the top were superb and well worth the diversion.

Duton Pike ahead.JPG
Dufton Pike from the approach route

Lakeland from Dufton Pike.JPG
Lakeland from Dufton Pike summit

Cross Fell Massif from Dufton Pike.JPG
Cross Fell Massif from Dufton Pike summit

Great Rundale from Dufton Pike.JPG
Looking up Great Rundale - where I'm going next!

I took a direct route down from the top of the pike to hit the mine road heading up Great Rundale. This part of the walk is very pleasant and is very similar to many areas of the Lake District in terms of scenery rather than other areas of the North Pennines.

The track eventually comes to an end at a shooting hut with Great Rundale Tarn nearby and the upland mass of Dufton Fell leading to the Hewitts of Knock Fell and Meldon Hill respectively.

From the tarn on a good day you can clearly see the cairn on Backstone Edge and a direct route is easy! On a misty day you could be looking forever and it is probably advisable to head back down the mine road if you don't know the area.

Today I headed for the cairn and then the slightly lower nearby Trig Point. Backstone Edge just fails to classify as a Hewitt but does classify as a Nuttall.

Great Rundale tarn with Meldon Hill and Mickle Fell behind.JPG
Great Rundale tarn with Meldon Hill and Mickle Fell behind

Summit of Backstone Edge.JPG
Summit of Backstone Edge

Trig Point on Backstone Edge.JPG
Trig Point on Backstone Edge

The highlight of the day now followed with a walk along the summit escarpment on a faint path towards Narowgate Beacon where you get the best view of High Cup Nick possible.

Dufton Pike from Summit Backstone Edge escarpment.JPG
The "Shark Fin" of Dufton Pike from the edge walk

High Cup Nick.JPG
High Cup Nick from Narrowgate Beacon

I then took a fairly abrupt route downhill to join with the Pennine way coming from High Cup Nick which led me all the way back to Dufton.

This walk really surprised me and has to be one of the best circular walks in the North Pennines with interest and great views all the way. You may not get a Hewitt summit out of it but Backstone Edge actually has more going for it than many of the surrounding summits and really is a worthwhile hike.

On Pennine Way.JPG
On the Pennine Way

Dufton.JPG
Back in Dufton
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Re: Dufton Pike, Backstone Edge and High Cup

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:48 pm

Looks like a fantastic day in a glorious part of the world.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby ChrisW » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:49 am

Great stuff Broggy with some lovely photos of a wonderful part of the world :clap: Though I may be a little biased :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Broggy1 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:02 am

Thanks!

It really was a great weekend for walking and this walk was excellent. Defo one I will be doing again as I'm in the area lots .
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland