walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Latrigg on a Sunny Afternoon

Latrigg on a Sunny Afternoon

Postby icemandan » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:51 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Latrigg

Date walked: 19/02/2012

Time taken: 2.5

Distance: 9.1 km

Ascent: 459m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The brief was a short walk not involving a steep hill and somewhere warm for tea and cake afterwards. I'd last done Latrigg in 1973 at the age of 8 so it was due a second visit.

We parked up near the old Keswick Station and the great rambling Keswick Hotel which has clearly seen better days.

Spooney Green Lane was busy. One of the hazards of this route (which leads on to Skiddaw) is a few mountain bikers who treat it like a downhill ski run, in blissful ignorance of small children, dogs and elderly people who use the route.

On to happier things. As we climbed, a view opened out of Grizedale Pike and other higher and wintrier hills to the west.
P1010261.JPG

Leaving the Skiddaw path near the Gale Road car park (Latrigg from here must be the easiest Wainwright!) we doubled back and followed an easy zig zag path over the green slopes towards the top. We came over a rise, the ground fell away and the famous view of Derwent Water appeared (a bit bleached in the sun).

P1010262.JPG

Looking the other way, Skiddaw rose in coloured bands of pine, bracken, heather, grass and snow.

P1010263.JPG

Unusually, there is nothing at the top, just grass and sheep. I guess that there's nothing to build a cairn out of apart from sheep droppings.

P1010264.JPG

Heading down the gentle grassy ridge towards Threlkeld, views of Helvellyn opened up.

P1010266.JPG

And a stand of Scots Pines made an attractive foreground for Skiddaw

P1010267.JPG

Stopped for a bite to eat at the top of the Brundholme Road. The crags of Clough Head and the white cap of Great Dodd were impressive from here.

P1010269.JPG

Then a leisurely stroll down the lane over the Greta gorge with some airy drops down to the River. Note you can't drive this way any more, the road is slipping down the hill.

And tea and cake at Abrahams cafe in George Fishers. A good day.
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Re: Latrigg on a Sunny Afternoon

Postby ciderpeter » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:28 pm

Nice walk, and cracking pics too :) Too much emphasis is put on the bigger and more illustrious fells, but on the right day Latrigg gives as good a view as any! :)
ciderpeter
Munro compleatist

Munros:32   
Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ciderpeter » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:31 pm

Nice walk and cracking pics :) Too much focus is put on the bigger and more illustrious fells, but on it's day Latrigg can rival any Lakeland fell for views!
ciderpeter
Munro compleatist

Munros:32   
Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:214   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:54 pm

Loved your report and some great photos :D

I don't know how many times I've walked up Latrigg but have been going to the Lakes for more than 50 years, and several times a year, and I never tire of those views :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby icemandan » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:44 pm

Thanks for the complements. I'm a big fan of lesser lumps and bumps. You lose the crowds and they are often the best viewpoints for the higher fells.

Susie - I imagine that Latrigg from the Gale Road might be feasable with joint trouble. The path is wide and not too steep and there is a seat three quarters of the way up. Brundholme Lane might be a good one as well as you can get a long way up in the car.
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Postby ChrisW » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:05 am

Excellent look at hike I've never seen before, beautiful photos of a great day out, really enjoyed this :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:01 pm

icemandan wrote:Susie - I imagine that Latrigg from the Gale Road might be feasable with joint trouble. The path is wide and not too steep and there is a seat three quarters of the way up. Brundholme Lane might be a good one as well as you can get a long way up in the car.

Thank you for that. A new disabled route was done a few years ago from the Skiddaw carpark but the start of it is really steep! Anyway, once past there you head for the normal path, above the zig zag bit. It is quite a long way for me to walk and, of course, I have to get back, but, am determined to try it this year. Managed the top two years ago but, my knees have deteriorated a lot so, fingers crossed for the second week in May! :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby simon-b » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:35 pm

Super weather and quality of light for those views. It just shows how enjoyable winter can be in the Lakes.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby morag1 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:32 pm

lovely photos of a great day out :D
morag1

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland