walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ace of Wands

Ace of Wands

Postby icemandan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:44 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Wansfell

Date walked: 15/07/2012

Time taken: 2

Distance: 7.2 km

Ascent: 318m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Pleasant little hill between Ambleside and Troutbeck. I'd tired myself out on Saturday cycling up some ridiculously steep hills so it made for a gentle relaxing afternoon.

A good path leads up from Troutbeck village along a steep stone walled old lane called Nanny Lane. As you climb up, views south begin to appear.

Colour contrasts.jpg

The path - still excellent - leaves Nanny Lane and a superb view of Windermere appears

Windermere shower.jpg

An easy pull to the summit, the weather brightens and Windermere is in a different light.

Windermere from summit.jpg

Kirkstone Pass looked impressive to the North

Kirkstone.jpg

and a verdant green carpet drew the eye towards Rydal Water and Grasmere

Rydal and Grasmere.jpg

We retraced our steps before striking south towards Hundreds Road keeping the views for as long as possible before following quiet lanes back round to Troutbeck.
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Re: Ace of Wands

Postby ChrisW » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:11 pm

A fine little afternoon outing Icemandan, were you out on Saturday trying to emulate the Tour de France :lol: beautiful shots across Windermere :thumbup:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby malky_c » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:52 pm

Nice :) . I was scratching my head trying to think where Wansfell was, then remembered it was one of a small handful of hills I had managed to persuade my wife up before she made it quite clear she would not be joining me on any more walks :roll: . Funny, as I think she actually quite liked this one.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby icemandan » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:49 pm

@Chris - Not the Tour de France but wondering about the Fred Whitton. I'd been grinding up Red Bank and Blea Tarn with a view to having a crack at Wrynose. Pretty hard going even with a dinner plate gear.
@Malky - You'll notice I've done quite a lot of short walks up smaller Wainwrights for similar reasons!
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland