walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hampsfell (Outlying Fell)

Hampsfell (Outlying Fell)

Postby Phooooey » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:13 pm

Date walked: 21/07/2012

Time taken: 1.5

Distance: 3.25 km

Ascent: 110m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Grange Golf Course - Hampsfell - Grange Golf Course

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Second part of the days walks covering two of Wainwrights Outlying Fells from his 1973 book.
Starting in a layby just south of Grange Golf Course Club House, Damson & I headed up a single track road to the right hand side of either the first or last hole and straight up the fell side to the beacon on Fell End. From here a rolling yomp across the tops draws you up to the Hospice on its highest point.

The Hospice was built by a pastor of Cartmel as a shelter for travellers over the fell and today gave great views from it's top over the start of Cartmel's famous horse racing week.

We followed roughly the same route back but cut out Fell End by keeping to the left track.

Hampsfell Hospice
The chain surrounding the hospice is to deter cattle only
View up Furness Coast towards home and Barrow
View to Arnside
View over Cartmel races
Panorama of Lakeland Fells from Hampsfell
Last edited by Phooooey on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Hampsfell

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:43 pm

That looks a nice little walk :D
Not been there at all so I enjoyed looking at your photos, Craig :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Phooooey » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:10 pm

Hi Susie,
Not sure of your abilities now but apart from the initial steepish climb up a grass bank, there is very little in the way of strenuous walking for this one and the summit hospice is quite different to all other fells I've been up. I lingered around on the top for quite a while so 1.5 hrs is a tad excessive.
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:34 pm

Another little cracker Phooooey, I could do with a few of these short wanders myself, its too damn hot to climb the big stuff :roll: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland