walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Midge madness in the Brecon Beacons

Midge madness in the Brecon Beacons

Postby willywalker247 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:34 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Pen y Fan

Date walked: 15/07/2013

Time taken: 6

Distance: 13.1 km

Ascent: 641m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having got myself a new toy (camper van) I decided to spent the night with Lindsay in the Brecon Beacons so we could have an early start in the morning. On arriving at the car park just below the Neuadd reservoir we settled down to enjoy a well earned drink and something to eat.
003.JPG
As the evening went on we watched the sun drop down behind the ridge of Graig Fan Ddu.
006.JPG
The midges started to come out and we retreated to the van for the night. One last drink and we were asleep. We woke up sometime later to find ourselves being eaten alive by midges, well you can imagine the rest. We did manage to get some more sleep. We woke up again just after dawn covered in bites the midges still with us. We finally ventured out at around 9:30 feeling very tired and very itchy. Quick cup of coffee and we were ready to start our walk. The plan was to do the Pen Y Fan horseshoe.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

As we set out it was already getting hot. Making our way up the ridge to Graig Fan Ddu there was not a breath of wind.
010.JPG
looking back down the path leading up to the ridge.
I said to Lindsay when we get to the ridge there should be a good breeze to cool us down, you guessed it no breeze and that`s how it was for the rest of the day. Following the ridge line of Graig Fan Ddu on to Graig Gwaun Taf. The sun beating down on us as we went. With great views though the hazy sunshine.
011.JPG
013.JPG
014.JPG
Cotton grass.
On reaching Bwlch Duwynt just below Corn du we had a cup of coffee and a well earned rest as walking in the heat of the day was taking its toll. On to Pen Y Fan quick photo of Cribyn.
016.JPG
Cribyn with Fan y Big just benind
017.JPG
Lindsay on Pen Y Fan
We descended the path down to the foot of Cribyn where we had our lunch. I asked Lindsay how much water she had left, not a lot she replied with a smile trying not to scratch some of her midge bites :lol: . I then decided to cut our losses and make a detour around Cribyn and head back to the car park.
019.JPG
Panoramic view
At this point I would like to express my condolence to the two families of the two soldiers who died while training in the Brecon Beacons over the weekend.
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:9   

Re: Midge madness in the Brecon Beacons

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:59 pm

This had me laughing out loud, my wife recently got bit to hell on a hike with me whilst I remained untouched :lol: she said they don't go for bad meat :( Anyway, love the new wheels and that set up in the first pic makes me want one of those myself for exploring over here :think:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby willywalker247 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:18 pm

Hi CW the midges wont keep us away from the hills. The van is great fun everyone should have one! :) Hire one for a couple of days when you get a chance and try it.
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Postby SusieThePensioner » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:30 pm

Great fun for you now with the camper van!!
I'm glad you had such good weather for your walk but shame about no breeze :shock:
The midges just eat me alive so I can empathise with you :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby ChrisW » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:47 pm

willywalker247 wrote:Hire one for a couple of days when you get a chance and try it.

Now that is a great idea :think:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby willywalker247 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:00 am

SusieThePensioner wrote:Great fun for you now with the camper van!!
I'm glad you had such good weather for your walk but shame about no breeze :shock:
The midges just eat me alive so I can empathise with you :lol:

Hi Susie lindsay has had quite a bad reaction to the midge bites. Thankfully it has not put her off and we have another trip planned for August. :D
willywalker247
Mountaineer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland