walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bowfell Esk Pike Circuit

Bowfell Esk Pike Circuit

Postby L-Hiking » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:59 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Bowfell, Esk Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Bowfell, Esk Pike

Date walked: 03/07/2013

Time taken: 6.5

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1120m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Day 3 of our trip to the lake district was looking promising, the weather forecast was set to improve as the day progressed, giving us an excellent opportunity to turn our attention to a little more substantial walk. We had just had 2 days in the Western Fells, which were tailored to suit the forecasted poor weather. Indeed our second day over Gavel Fell and Burnbank Fell felt more like November than July.

Bowfell and Esk Pike were the chosen targets with of course the ODG in Great Langdale awaiting our return.

There was lots of activity today in Langdale with lots of people converging around the New Dungeon Gyll Hotel, and all appeared to be heading towards the Langdale Pikes which as always looked splendid today.

Our route took us up the broad ridge coming down towards Langdale called the band, which is a pleasant walk and not to strenuous. A little further up a decision was made to either follow the route via the three tarns or the much more exciting Climbers Traverse. It would have been easy for me to persuade my colleagues to follow along the Traverse, however before deciding I described in as much detail both routes. The majority vote was via the 3 tarns. I would have to wait for another day to walk the Climbers Traverse of Bowfell.

Progress was made fairly rapidly and in no time at all we were all sat at the summit enjoying lunch, there was god views over to Esk Pike which was our next objective, but the tops of the Scafells were covered in cloud. The route is straight forward between the two fells with a clear path heading to Esk Pike summit.

Esk Hause was our next coffee stop and amazingly we had the wind shelter all to our selves. The return route was now clear, we would be heading back under the cliffs of Esk Pike passing Angle Tarn and descending via Rossett Gyhll. The path has much improved since the awful scree path I remember a few years ago.

As always the ODG was awaiting and a wonderful pint of Jennings went a long way to healing a few aching limbs.
P1020521.JPG
Pack Horse bridge in Langdale
P1020522.JPG
The Head of Great Langdale
P1020523.JPG
The Band and a Welcome return
P1020524.JPG
P1020526.JPG
Further up at the top of the band,

It was around this point that the decision to take the three tarns or the climbers traverse
P1020527.JPG
Three tarns which lie between Crinkle Crags and Bowfell
P1020528.JPG
Bowfell Summit
P1020529.JPG
A clear route towards the next objective..Esk Pike.
P1020533.JPG
The Troops sheltering from the wind

The traverse towords Esk Pike is pleasnt with great views
P1020534.JPG
Scafells
P1020535.JPG
Great Langdale
P1020536.JPG
Bowfell from Esk Pike
P1020537.JPG
Distant views to Skiddaw and derwent water
P1020538.JPG
looking to Esk Hause and Sprinkling Tarn

Before dropping to Esk Hause another look towards the Scafells was performed in the hope that the cloud will have lifted, unfortunately not this time, however Ill Crag did show itself briefly.
P1020540.JPG
Ill Crag
P1020541.JPG
Our route home

The path to Gt Langdale via Angle Tarn is a delight, I was not looking forward to Rossett Ghyll at this moment, however I was to be pleasantly surprised as the awful scree had been replaced by a very good path.. It was after all along time since I was last down this way.
P1020543.JPG
Angle Tarn
P1020544.JPG
Rossett Ghyll
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Bowfell Esk Pike Circuit

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:02 am

Looks a great route Geoff, I'm planning on bagging these two together with Rosset Pike, might just convince Nicola and Grace to attempt the climbers traverse however :wink:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby SusieThePensioner » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:14 pm

Glad to see you all had another great day out, Geoff! Love the photos :thumbup:

I know the Band very well...........walked up it 4 times before the weather was good enough to complete Bowfell :lol: (many years ago)
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:23 pm

god views over to Esk Pike

Great stuff LH but I don't know if the views were that good :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland