walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mulhacen - Highest Mountain in Spain! (mainland)

Mulhacen - Highest Mountain in Spain! (mainland)

Postby dooterbang » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:57 am

Date walked: 24/08/2013

Time taken: 9

Distance: 25 km

Ascent: 3482m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Mulhacen is the highest mainland Mountain in Spain at 3482M, this is 2.5 times higher than Ben Nevis in Scotland. Mount Teide on Tenerife is officially the highest in Spain at 3718M.

During a 2 week mini tour of Southern Spain back in August/September we climbed/walked Mulhacen. Our base for this walk be in Orgiva which is the gateway for the "Las Alpujarras", a collection of whitewashed villages just below the Seirra Nevada mountain range.

It's possible to do this route from many starting points but we chose to drive to Hoya Del Portillo which is located high in the Seirra Nevada Park, the last 6K driving is on a single dirt track full of potholes, this gave us a starting point of 2100M.

Park just before the small gatehouse and take the route signed Peurto Molino which is 1.5k through a wooded area. From Puerto Molino head a few KM NE over a ridge.

You will pick up the dirt track again and follow it for 1km to Mirador De Trevelez.

The easiest ascent is to head North and pick up the South ridge to the summit.

The area reminded me of the Cairngorms in Scotland and at times I felt I was still on Scottish soil. The walk is very easy but the altitude did hit us both around 3000M which made the last 400M feel as if it took forever. We both stopped frequently to let our heartbeat rest to a more normal rate!

Eventually we reached the Summit.

The easy return is to head back the way you came up but you can make this a circular route and descend the West Ridge to the Caldera Refuge which allows you to get a good glimpse of the North Face. From the Caldera Refuge take the path down to the Poqueira Refuge where you can buy a beer before taking the path (initially up hill) back to Hoya del Portillo.

North Face

Caldero Refuge

Porquiero Refuge

It's a pleasant 9KM walk from the Porquerio Refuge back to Hoya del Portillo. It's worth stopping in Capileira to take in the views and treat yourself to a beer or some ice cream.

Fantastic days walking with spectacular views and varied landscapes.

Map route

Hoya Del Portillo to Mirador De Trevelez

Mulhacen Paths from Mirador De Trevelez
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: Mulhacen - Highest Mountain in Spain! (mainland)

Postby Phil the Hill » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:55 pm

That brings back some memories. I went up Mulhacen by a similar route on a walking holiday in the Alpujarras some 10 years ago.

When I did it, it was over 40 degrees C down in Grenada, but when we reached the top we got a summit hailstorm - just like a Scottish summit!
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby Graeme D » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:22 pm

Nice! :D Just done my first Irish mountain. Maybe next year I'll manage my first Spanish one?????!!!!!! :think: :think: :think:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby dooterbang » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:10 pm

Phil the Hill wrote:When I did it, it was over 40 degrees C down in Grenada, but when we reached the top we got a summit hailstorm - just like a Scottish summit!
When we got to the summit a big cloud positioned itself in front of the sun...just like Scotland, as you say!

Graeme D wrote:Nice! :D Just done my first Irish mountain. Maybe next year I'll manage my first Spanish one?????!!!!!! :think: :think: :think:
You can do it Graeme. Factor 50 cream at the ready!

RTC wrote:Smashing report and photos. Went up Mulhacen with 2 pals 3 years ago. Started at Capileira, 2nd highest village in Spain. - Trevelez is the highest. Walked to Poquiero refuge, stayed the night, and went up Mulhacen next day the opposite way up and down from you. A second night in the Poquiero refuge and walk back out to Capileira next day.
The refuge was empty when we got to it and a night there would have been welcome. It's a really nice walk. There was a high path going round the lochan I wanted to do but would've meant finishing very late. An area worth a return visit.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:53 pm

Enjoyed your report, Paul, and some great photos :thumbup:
See you still had the sun with you for a lot of the time............but of course, it was Spain! :lol:

We walked in the Sierra de Gredos when our younger daughter did her year in Spain; lots of beautiful walks :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Michael_ » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:22 pm

Nice trip report and glad you enjoyed your ascent of Mulhacen. I see you found the maps on my website with the paths I drew on, glad to see them being used! An ascent of Alcazaba 3364m should be on the tick list for your next trip, a much more demanding and remote trip. :wink:
Michael_
Stravaiging

Postby dooterbang » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:21 pm

Michael_ wrote:Nice trip report and glad you enjoyed your ascent of Mulhacen. I see you found the maps on my website with the paths I drew on, glad to see them being used! An ascent of Alcazaba 3364m should be on the tick list for your next trip, a much more demanding and remote trip. :wink:
If only Spain had a site similar to this...thanks for providing the info & maps from your site...was the only decent site I could find before the trip. I shall promptly check out Alcazaba :)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland