walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canada - Prairie Mountain Revisited

Canada - Prairie Mountain Revisited

Postby ChrisW » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:04 pm

Date walked: 17/01/2014

Time taken: 2.5

Distance: 7.8 km

Ascent: 764m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is more of a diary post than anything so I can keep track of my 2014 distances etc. but I thought I'd share the few shots I took yesterday whilst revisiting Prairie Mountain for the 3rd time. 1 hour faster than the first time and harder going due to deep snow in the forest section but it was a great day to be out.

Prairie Mountain is pretty close to home and well used by many so makes a good 'conditioning' hike in winter, but don't let that fool you, it is a hell of a grunt and at times the ascent seems almost endless :crazy:

Starting out from the Elbow Falls Trail

The sun shines down as I make the first section comfortably and take a moment to look over the closed section of the road below

the snow is stable and easy walking as long as you stick to the trodden sections, a step to the side sees me down to the knee once or twice

There didn't look to be much nosh around for this little guy and I had nothing to give him today :(

Breaking out of the trees to the summit

Mt Cornwall, Mt Glasgow, Nihahi Ridge and others fill the horizon

Nice sheltered spot for a cuppa before descending
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland