walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canada - Hummingbird Plume via Troll Falls - History & Ice

Canada - Hummingbird Plume via Troll Falls - History & Ice

Postby ChrisW » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:08 am

Date walked: 09/03/2014

Time taken: 4.5

Distance: 15.8 km

Ascent: 434m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another week of very cold temperatures was blown away by the warm Chinook winds beginning Friday 7th March and by 11 am we were up to +1 (almost shorts weather) so I loaded up and headed out toward Kananaskis. By the time I arrived in the 'Stoney Trail' car park just off Mt Allen Drive close to Kananaskis Village and Nakiska Ski area it was 12:30 pm and a lovely +4 degrees.

I chatted with a couple of women out dog walking as I prepared the boots and rucksack, I had a rough idea of direction and confirmed with them that the sign I could see (to the left of these power line poles) was the trailhead for Troll Falls, after their confirmation I was off across the melting snow hauling the snowshoes on the pack just in case.

Less than 1/2km from the trailhead a sign directs me right (North) along the 'Troll Falls Trail'. Occasionally on this predominantly forested pathway a clearing opens out to remind me of just how wonderful my surroundings are.

In the more restricted viewing areas through the lodgepole pines an occasional point of interest popped up, in this case a rather sorry looking snowman with a pine foliage goatee and eyebrows.

Even without the well placed small bridge there would have been little problem crossing the streams today, though water is flowing over the top of the ice already as the warm winds begin the thaw once again.

There is a constant drip,drip coming from the trees as they shrug off the snow to forest floor, as the drops land they pierce the deep blanket that covers everything and in doing so contribute more to the thawing.

At the next junction my trail meets a groomed ski trail and another sign directs me across it and into the forest beyond, this leaves me wondering about the ski trail and where it goes, though my plan for today was a nice short trip out to see Troll Falls for the first time.

It's a short leg through the forest until Troll Falls come into view through a carpet of deadfall, the beautiful blue ice stacked layer upon layer from the narrow stream to the vertical ridge top about 25 feet above

I drop the camera off on nearby rocks with the incessant 'beeeeeep' 'beeeeeep' ensuring I know that the timer is on. As I approach the falls it's interesting to see that it is actually still flowing inside the ice core, the water is bouncing down within several tubes created as the ice formed.

It's on with the microspikes next and up the frozen pile to the overhang where the remnants of a campfire leave me thinking what a wonderful spot someone found for a quiet picnic/barbeque

Troll Falls may not be particularly large as waterfalls go, and may not have the biggest of drops but it is still a beautiful sight and so close to a large car park I can't help but think others must feel the same, though not today. Today Troll Falls is all mine and I drop off my rucksack and explore a little.

The light passing through the falls draws you into the space behind as it narrows toward the furthest point. The crunch of the microspikes on the glass surface breaks the tranquil sound of the water bouncing around inside the formation and I almost feel guilty for moving around and 'violating' the scene.

At the far side a view back along the trail shows the extent of the deadfall which I suspect is due in a large part to the 2013 June floods, I know if Sarah was here I would put her behind the falls and shout "stay alive....I will find you" before jumping down into the snow below (stealing a scene from the 1992 movie 'The Last of the Mohicans') she would laugh and I'd probably break a leg on the ice!!

A final shot of yours truly suitably impressed by Troll Falls and feeling pretty happy about my decision to find this place today. I know Sarah is going to love this and I've no doubt we'll be back here together at some point.

I sat down and assessed the map before leaving the falls, I love to be out and this was never going to be enough for the day. As I looked I saw a note on the map that said 'Former site of Hummingbird Plume Fire Lookout'. How could I resist on a day like today so I put the snowshoes on and made my way through the forest alongside the ski trails which were also heading in that direction.

The majority of the next 5km was trees, trees and more trees but the going was easy and I was soon looking at the view from the lookout, which was far from meeting my expectations, I can see why they say 'former' now. There's a nice little picnic table here and with the GPS reading well over 8km I decide it must be lunch time, first thing is to get the winter coat on as the temperatures up here haven't yet caught up with those below even though at 6120 feet we are hardly scraping the skies.

The lookout itself is a character filled hut, though lacking in many things it carries a wealth of history in it's tiny frame. Constructed around 1915 it is all but a centurian. In the 1930's it was used by prisoners of war in the area who would rest here while collecting firewood. Inside many have inscribed their initials, the number of their camp, the letters POW and dates ranging from the 30's to the early 40's; it seems a shame that it has fallen into such disrepair. There are thousands of places related to the great wars, most of which are of much higher value perhaps, but I really can't help but wonder about JQ from camp 130, POW, 1941, how did he feel so far from home, out of the war on a cold mountain top in Canada, I'll never know. I guess by transcribing his information here I might just help it remain in the world a little longer than JQ may have imagined.

From within it is pretty clear that it would afford little shelter in its present condition and might even resist refurbishment should anyone attempt it. I suppose for all practical purposes it would be classed as 'beyond repair'

A walk out beyond the picnic table to the snow covered ridge shows the view across the Kananaskis valley that the lookout would have had all those years ago, and no doubt the view that JQ shared with his comrades during his time as a POW. Directly to my left (North) is Mt Lorette and Mary Barclays Mountain, then swinging across highway 40 and the valley floor to the very distant Mt Baldy and directly across from my position the more daunting towers of the Fisher Range, dusted in snow with blue skies above it is yet another wonderful Kananaskis canvas.

A zoomed shot across the valley brings the steep jagged tops of the Fisher Range into focus, the clouds cast dappled shade across the lower slopes and darken the forests that endure the long Canadian winters. It is always at times like these that I realise just how fortunate I am to be here and how incredible, how immense and how beautiful this corner of Canada really is.

After absorbing the views for 15 minutes or so I set off again along my ascent route through the forest on a constant steady descent to the car park, I shaved a little distance off the descent route by missing Troll Falls on the way out.

So, what began as an exploration of a small waterfall I'd seen in my guidebooks ended up being a lovely half day hike to a forgotten ruin that holds a history of Kananaskis on what remains of its walls. I've since found out that it is possible to park in the Nakiska Ski area car parks and make a shorter journey to the lookout, but I believe this route taking in Troll Falls along the way is far better, it's a very gentle ascent and on a late spring day would be a fantastic family wander.
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Canada - Hummingbird Plume via Troll Falls - History & I

Postby SusieThePensioner » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:10 pm

A lovely walk with an interesting historical note to it :D
Loved the photos of the waterfall and then, of course, the wonderful views :thumbup:
ChrisW wrote: 'The Last of the Mohicans'

one of my favourite films :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:43 pm

That partially frozen waterfall looks a truly amazing sight Chris, great report once again. :clap:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby ChrisW » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:05 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:A lovely walk with an interesting historical note to it :D
Loved the photos of the waterfall and then, of course, the wonderful views :thumbup:
ChrisW wrote: 'The Last of the Mohicans'

one of my favourite films :lol:

Thanks Susie, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this wee wander :D

johnkaysleftleg wrote:That partially frozen waterfall looks a truly amazing sight Chris, great report once again. :clap:

Thanks JK, its only a very small fall by local standards but sometimes the best things come in little packages :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:22 pm

Cheers once again Chris stunning pictures of the frozen waterfall
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:17 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Cheers once again Chris stunning pictures of the frozen waterfall

Thanks Gammy, it never ceases to amaze me that these things are dotted around all over around here and nobody really thinks much of it, I guess its easy to get used to having so much beauty around you that you forget how lucky you are :roll:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:12 pm

WOW! (somehow missed your reply, so only just read this - senior moment, no doubt...)
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland