walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

All bye myself on Fan Y Big

All bye myself on Fan Y Big

Postby willywalker247 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:56 pm

Date walked: 16/04/2014

Time taken: 2

Distance: 8.14 km

Ascent: 330m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Yet again coming off a night shift I wanted a walk. Not having done a lot of walking over the last twelve months I wanted an easy walk but with a little bit of hard work thrown in for good measure, Fan Y Big seemed to fit the bill for me. Parking the van just below the neuadd reservoir grid ref so036171.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The walk along the track is very easy going ( watch out for the ankle biters. you know them little loose stones that can twist your ankle) As I walked along the track the clouds broke and the sun came out and the views started to open up. I could see people heading up and walking along Graig Fan Ddu.
All bye myself on Fan y Big 001.JPG
Graig fan Ddu
The walk up to the summit short and steep but well worth it as the view is fantastic.
All bye myself on Fan y Big 011.JPG
All bye myself on Fan y Big 010.JPG
Fan y Big`s iconic diving board.
. After spending half an hour or so on my own three people turned up and I waited for them to leave then made my way back to the van one happy teddy bear.
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:9   

Re: All bye myself on Fan Y Big

Postby stevesey » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:45 pm

No self portrait on the top then - I'm told it's possible a camera on the rock to the left of your summit photo, set the timer and wizz around to the platform. Trick is getting the speed right so you arrive in time, but not so fast you can't stop :shock: Chap who showed me his photo said it took him three goes to get it right.

P.S. Great weather - this week makes me think I should have taken the whole week off for north wales not just last Friday.
stevesey
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:214   

Re: All bye myself on Fan Y Big

Postby willywalker247 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:48 pm

Tried to do a self portrait but not on the diving board " I dont like heights" :lol: :lol:
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:9   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland