walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

USA - Roan Mountain (The Appalachian Balds)

USA - Roan Mountain (The Appalachian Balds)

Postby ChrisW » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:02 pm

Date walked: 13/04/2014

Time taken: 2.5

Distance: 8.3 km

Ascent: 350m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had reason to visit Greensboro North Carolina in early April and decided to make the journey more interesting by driving down there from Calgary as I can't resist a good long road trip. As I hatched my plans the thought of being able to hike a section of the Appalachian Trail was high on my list, it would satisfy a personal desire and hopefully allow a meet up with friends too.

After some WH forum postings and email exchanges (and a couple of last minute adjustments) on Sunday the 13th April I left Greensboro North Carolina at 6am heading west toward Tennessee. I'd hoped to have breakfast before setting off but the hotel in Greensboro had other ideas, they assumed that 06:00 was far to early for breakfast so didn't bother with it until 07:00. Fortunately for me during the planning phase I had spoken to Andy (who I would be meeting at the trailhead) and he'd told me that I should head through the town of Boone and that it would be the last bit of civilisation on my route to the trailhead at Carvers Gap, so after being pursued by a beautiful sunrise for 1.5 hours I arrived in Boone and stopped off for breakfast. Image

After leaving Boone I still had more than an hour of driving but 2 hours in which to make it, this allowed me to stop off at a number of the various roadside pullouts and grab a few images of these wonderful mountains and their famous hazy horizons.

I passed through some beautiful scenery as I climbed up toward the trailhead and that blue haze that I thought might be a bit of a nuisance for photography actually added to the wonder of these rolling forested hills

I arrived at the trailhead a little early and sat on the tailgate of my truck in the sunshine. Carvers Gap sits in the 'no mans land' between the Tennessee and North Carolina borders, in the image below the 'welcome to North Carolina' sign can be seen on the right of shot, and the 'welcome to Tennessee' sign is as far away behind me, so it appears the trailhead isn't actually in either state. As an englishman I thought about planting a flag there and claiming it but that didn't work out so well for us last time.........

After providing directions to a couple of people I found myself amused by the fact that an englishman driving thousands of miles from Canada to a place he's never seen is so readily considered an expert by the locals seeking a sunday stroll. As I was lacing up the boots Andy arrived a little early with his girlfriend Jessica and they parked alongside me.

It was great to stand here and shake hands with friends, for me that was the biggest part of the day. Our tenuous connection as a result of hiking in Scotland had established a link thousands of miles away at a trailhead on the Appalachian Trail in southeastern USA. It was a shame that Stu, Scott and Michelle couldn't make it but....maybe next time.

With the greetings over we set out heading east along the well maintained trail with Andy promising a fine lunch & beer venue for later in the day as our last minute changes had prevented us meeting up the evening before as planned.

Markers along the trail provide information on the location and distances to shelters, highways and noted points along the way, I had mulled over a two vehicle one way hike early on but discounted it because today (for me) was more about meeting up and enjoying a steady wander in a beautiful pace rather than a route march over miles, I think Andy would have gone with a route march option if it was offered.

The ever present haze seems to drift in and out in differing waves of density, there are a number of theories on the cause but one that makes a lot of sense is that hydrocarbon particles released by vegetation reacting with ozone molecules produce particles that scatter blue light. Whatever the reason it really does add to rather than detract from the beauty of these hills.

Andy striding out on a side trail to the first of the 'Appalachian Balds' that we are visiting today. After 2 weeks of burgers and 'road food' the term Round Bald could apply to me, but it is in fact the name of this first lump just 300 feet higher than our start point at Carvers Gap.

The Appalachian Balds are described by the National Parks Service as "treeless, grassy meadows that occur below timberline and mostly on ridgetops in the southern Appalachian Mountains. No one knows for certain how they came to be. Even their age is not known" It seems to be widely accepted that some were cleared for grazing in the late 1800's but that is about the extent of the understanding of the Balds. The link to the National Park Service above has much greater detail for those interested in reading further.

Large boulders make a number of nice resting spots along the way, or for those out for a sunday stroll with the kids, the resting spots become climbing frames.

After Round Bald the trail loses and then regains around 200 feet to ascend the next of the chain, Jane Bald. Here we begin to see the start of the large groups of rhododendron bushes that cover the area, I can only imagine what the scene would be by late June when they are in flower, no doubt an early start would be required at that time of year for anyone wanting to enjoy the view in relative peace.

The heat level really builds once we are hiking in between the bushes, we had started the day with a nice cooling breeze which had kept us company until this point, then it just died away and the mercury went on a one way trip for the rest of the day.

There is still colour here, even without the rhododendron blooms the new growth of other shrubs adds a splash of red to the wonderful spring scene.

Andy and Jessica, my companions for the hike and for lunch later in the day, I couldn't have wished for better company and have extended them an invitation to my home in Canada where I promised to point Andy in the direction of some huge mountains, though at his pace I'll be taking him halfway and then resting while he runs to the summit and back!!

The high top seen in the distance here is Roan High Knob which is reachable from Carvers Gap by taking the Appalachian Trail west instead of east to the Balds. I can't help but think the view from Roan High Knob might be improved if a Bald were to 'appear' on it.

It's easy to see why this is such a popular section of the Appalachian Trail, not only because of it's altitude compared to its surroundings but because it affords views in several directions and is a very gentle hike, even for those of us with 2 weeks worth of road food inside us.

To reach or destination of Grassy Bald we needed to turn off the Appalachian Trail and climb a narrow trail to the south ascending around 500 feet through rhododendron bushes

Once on top we took a short break and peeled off a few layers before applying the factor 50 as the sun was now hammering down, the views away to the horizon were filled with forest covered hills and Smoky Mountain haze and suddenly the yearning to see much more of the Appalachian Trail had returned.

Imagine this sea of rhododendron bushes in flower as you make your way along the trail, the sun shining and all the time in the world to enjoy it, there is no wonder this has been stated to be one of the very best hikes in the Southern Appalachians.

It's easy to look back and think "I wish I'd gone further" or something similar, but for me hiking is about enjoying myself, seeing new things and grabbing a few photos. If you can do all of that with great company and little effort I'd say you've nailed it. Below is the map of our 'straight out and back' route.

But........... we weren't quite finished yet. I followed Andy and Jessica down into Johnson City Tennessee where they waited whilst I checked in to my hotel for the evening. I took my bag upstairs and freshened up quickly before heading back down to find Andy and Jessica had done the same using the hotel washrooms (Kudos to Jessica for appearing from the washrooms perfectly presented in a change of clothes & hair in minutes) I'm pretty sure if the Guinness World Records people were in the area she would have had a good shot at a prize.

I was then shown some of that wonderful southern hospitality as I was chauffeured out to a marina where we sat on the deck overlooking the lake with some live music, great food and the very best of company. The temperatures reached around 80 as we sat in the shade enjoying a cold beer or 3, I really couldn't have asked for a better day. My thanks to Andy and Jessica for making it so, hopefully I can do the same for you guys up in the frozen north sometime in the future. Image
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: USA - Roan Mountain (The Appalachian Balds)

Postby Clach Liath » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:49 pm

This part of the States is interesting and off the normal UK tourist route - perhaps all the better for that :wink: I was in North Carolina and Tennessee as part of a road trip to Texas a few years back. Not only are there the Appalachians but interesting historical sites such as the location of the Battle of Guilford Courthouse in Greensboro itself (part of the War of Independence) and Biltmore Estate in nearby Asheville (home of a branch of the Vanderbilt family with a mock French chateau at its heart).

My forays into the Appalachians were mainly to bag some of the State highpoints but you look to have been guided to a much prettier and more pleasant location. The hills were blue tinged when we were there and I too will go with your explanation for this phenomenon :)

Southern hospitality is legend but I was put out at one place when I ordered a beer and was asked for ID to prove my age. As I was sporting a holiday beard and accompanied by my teenage children this took me aback somewhat. Because I did not have any ID with me I was refused service and had to settle for a coke :lol:
Clach Liath
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:82
Fionas:37   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:240
Wainwrights:214   
Walk wish-list

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:00 pm

I'd noticed that You were planning a ex pats meet up over the pond, good to see i come off even if it was a slightly reduced turn out. Certainly looks a great hike to pick for wandering along chatting, marvellous photos as always showing off what looks like a great part of the world.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby ChrisW » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:33 pm

Clach Liath wrote:This part of the States is interesting and off the normal UK tourist route - perhaps all the better for that :wink: I was in North Carolina and Tennessee as part of a road trip to Texas a few years back. Not only are there the Appalachians but interesting historical sites such as the location of the Battle of Guilford Courthouse in Greensboro itself (part of the War of Independence) and Biltmore Estate in nearby Asheville (home of a branch of the Vanderbilt family with a mock French chateau at its heart).

My forays into the Appalachians were mainly to bag some of the State highpoints but you look to have been guided to a much prettier and more pleasant location. The hills were blue tinged when we were there and I too will go with your explanation for this phenomenon :)

Southern hospitality is legend but I was put out at one place when I ordered a beer and was asked for ID to prove my age. As I was sporting a holiday beard and accompanied by my teenage children this took me aback somewhat. Because I did not have any ID with me I was refused service and had to settle for a coke :lol:

Thanks CL, I really enjoy the non tourist parts of the world, I had an incredible road trip down to TN, 3 weeks of exploring america in my truck...it was fantastic.

The I.D thing still makes me laugh, if you look at that last image of Stretch having a beer you'll see a sign over his shoulder saying "WE I.D" .. but they didn't :wink: (Damn we must look old :lol: )

Andy is going to post some of his images too so pop back for another scan in a day or two :wink:

johnkaysleftleg wrote:I'd noticed that You were planning a ex pats meet up over the pond, good to see i come off even if it was a slightly reduced turn out. Certainly looks a great hike to pick for wandering along chatting, marvellous photos as always showing off what looks like a great part of the world.

Cheers JK, I really enjoyed it and would love to return for more of the same. Just going through my photos from the epic journey so there will be some flickr action soon I think :lol: Pop back to this post to check for Andys pics :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:24 pm

Good to see you have now met Andy & Jessica 2 more honest & fine people you will ever meet in my opinion Chris,it looked a fine day for a walk or is it a hike over there.

Looking forward to more pictures posted soon from my American friend.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Stretch » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:26 pm

Very nice write-up, Chris. We are so glad that you made it to our little corner of east Tennessee. Both of us enjoyed meeting you and walking along the AT on such a fine day. When we can save enough pennies we will definitely make plans to visit Canada and see some of those massive peaks close by you!

I think we have a handful of WH folks in North America now, so hopefully we can get a larger group together at some point down the road.

Here are a few of my best photos from the day . . .

ImageView from Jane Bald by Twisted Ridge Photography, on Flickr

ImageGrassy Ridge by Twisted Ridge Photography, on Flickr

ImageChris on Grassy Ridge by Twisted Ridge Photography, on Flickr

ImageJane Bald by Twisted Ridge Photography, on Flickr

ImageHiking along Grassy Ridge by Twisted Ridge Photography, on Flickr

ImageNorthbound - AT by Twisted Ridge Photography, on Flickr

ImageView from Grassy Ridge by Twisted Ridge Photography, on Flickr
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby ChrisW » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:35 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Good to see you have now met Andy & Jessica 2 more honest & fine people you will ever meet in my opinion Chris,it looked a fine day for a walk or is it a hike over there.

Looking forward to more pictures posted soon from my American friend.

As far as your assessment of my company for the day, I couldn't agree more mate :D Weather wise it was almost too nice a day for a hike/walk/wander (whatever) ....but I'm already thinking about another look at the AT :wink:

Stretch wrote:Very nice write-up, Chris. We are so glad that you made it to our little corner of east Tennessee. Both of us enjoyed meeting you and walking along the AT on such a fine day. When we can save enough pennies we will definitely make plans to visit Canada and see some of those massive peaks close by you!

I think we have a handful of WH folks in North America now, so hopefully we can get a larger group together at some point down the road.

Here are a few of my best photos from the day . . .

Thanks Andy, cracking pics but who's that fat bloke in the daft hat :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby clivegrif » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:21 pm

Cheers Chris. this is excellent stuff! I really had no idea what places like Tennessee looked like before this and the many excellent photos Stretch posts on Flickr. Womderful scenery, and it looks like it gets hot too.
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby ChrisW » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:39 am

clivegrif wrote:Cheers Chris. this is excellent stuff! I really had no idea what places like Tennessee looked like before this and the many excellent photos Stretch posts on Flickr. Womderful scenery, and it looks like it gets hot too.

Thanks Clive, the Appalachian Trail is something I've always wanted to see a bit of....now I want to see more :lol: but you're right about the heat, 80 degrees in early April :shock: too bloody hot for me :crazy:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby malky_c » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:27 pm

That looks like a delightfully relaxing ridge to walk along :) . I vaguely remember some of the names and descriptions from reading 'A Walk in the Woods'.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby HighlandSC » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:55 pm

Sounds like an awesome meet up guys :D

Gutted we couldn't make it - next time for sure!

I actually quit my job in the end - working my notice now then heading over to Scotland for a few weeks next month. I best start laying off the McDonalds and get some practice hiking in :lol:
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby ChrisW » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:57 am

malky_c wrote:That looks like a delightfully relaxing ridge to walk along :) . I vaguely remember some of the names and descriptions from reading 'A Walk in the Woods'.

You're not wrong Malky, its a real stroll along this section but it sure does whet the appetite for more of the Appalachian Trail :wink:

HighlandSC wrote:Sounds like an awesome meet up guys :D Gutted we couldn't make it - next time for sure!
I actually quit my job in the end - working my notice now then heading over to Scotland for a few weeks next month. I best start laying off the McDonalds and get some practice hiking in :lol:

Hey Scott, sorry you couldn't make this one, it really worked out well in the end with perfect weather and a fine watering hole to boot :D Sorry to hear the job thing didn't work out....so what now....exploring Canada perhaps :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Sarah86 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:26 pm

Cracking set of photos, beautiful scenery of an area I know very little about.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland