walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mynydd Enlli (Bardsey Island)

Mynydd Enlli (Bardsey Island)

Postby foggieclimber » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:53 pm

Date walked: 22/04/2014

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hill: Mynydd Enlli (Bardsey Island)
Date: Tuesday 22nd April 2014
Company: Just myself

Click here to see a map of the route undertaken

The Bardsey Island boat is the yellow boat on the trailer in the next photo. You board the boat whilst it is on the trailer and a tractor then pushes the boat into the water.

Porth Meudwy:

Porth Meudwy:

Once everyone was aboard the boat we "set sail" for Bardsey.

Looking back to Porth Meudwy from aboard boat to Bardsey Island:

Captain Colin:

Bardsey Island lies approximately 2 miles off the Lleyn peninsula. The crossing only takes 10 minutes.

Bardsey through the spray:

During the crossing, Colin pointed out some Manx Shearwaters. Bardsey Island is home to thousands of nesting pairs.

Manx Shearwaters:

If you want to read more information about Bardsey Island click here.

Bardsey Island:

Looking towards Bardsey Lighthouse:

On arriving at Henllwyn, Colin spent five to ten minutes discussing the island's history and things to see and do on the island.

Arrival at Henllwyn, Bardsey Island:

Mynydd Enlli from Henllwyn:

Instead of taking the normal route up the middle of Mynydd Enlli, I thought the ridge looked quite nice. I therefore set off with a view to traversing the whole of Mynydd Enlli via its South and then North ridge.

Looking back during initial ascent:

I did see a sign advising not to pass beyond this point between March and September so as not to disturb nesting birds. I think this really meant don't go round onto the cliffs rather than up the ridge. I didn't see any nesting birds whilst traversing the ridge.

Ascending the South ridge of Mynydd Enlli:

Looking across to the Lleyn peninsula from Mynydd Enlli:

It didn't take long to reach the summit of Mynydd Enlli. It is only 167m high.

Looking back to Henllwyn and beyond to Bardsey Lighthouse:

Panorama looking towards summit of Mynydd Enlli and the Lleyn peninsula:

There are lots of Manx Shearwater burrows on the hill. This reminded me of ascending Hallival on the Isle of Rum.

Manx Shearwater burrows:

Summit of Mynydd Enlli:

On reaching the summit I stopped for a while as I still had >3Hrs before the boat would be leaving.

Myself at the summit of Mynydd Enlli:

From the ridge, I spotted an unusual bird quite a distance away down on the cliffs. At full zoom and with some cropping I am fairly sure it was a Peregrine Falcon.

Peregrine Falcon:

Peregrine Falcon:

View during descent of North ridge of Mynydd Enlli:

After descending the North ridge, I visited St. Mary's Abbey. The old abbey (ruin) dates back to the thirteenth century.

Descent towards St. Mary's Abbey:

Graveyard and Old Abbey:

St. Mary's Abbey:

Inside St. Mary's Abbey:

On getting back to Henllwyn, I continued on to visit Bardsey Lighthouse.

Bardsey Lighthouse:

Bardsey Lighthouse foghorn:

After visiting the Lighthouse I sat down and chilled for an hour watching lots of seals in the bay.

This was a really enjoyable trip. If you like birds you can't go wrong visiting Bardsey.
foggieclimber

Re: Mynydd Enlli (Bardsey Island)

Postby ChrisW » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:46 am

Great report Foggie, really interesting :clap: I assume those burrows are 'repurposed' rabbit burrows, and that fog horn....jeeeeeeesus I wouldn't want to be standing next to that when it goes off, it would be worse than my sons Corsa stereo when he was a teenager :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Mynydd Enlli (Bardsey Island)

Postby malky_c » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:24 pm

Good effort - I'll probably never even get here now (tried to tie in with OJ's visit a couple of years ago but failed miserably). Looks interesting if a little hazy.

The new Marilyn looks to be a good one too, particularly if combined with a longer coastal walk.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland