walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dune Ridge Trail, Little Talbot Island, Florida

Postby foggieclimber » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:45 pm

Date walked: 27/06/2014

Distance: 6 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date: Friday 27th June 2014
Company: Just myself
Distance: 6km

We set out this morning to visit Little Talbot Island State Park. Little Talbot Island is located 17 miles North-East of Jacksonville, Florida. The island consists of forests, dunes and salt marshes. Information about Little Talbot Island State Park The entrance fee to the State Park is only $5 per car.

While Carole, Becky and Fiona spent time at the beach, I opted to walk the four-mile Dune Ridge Trail.

After having a look at the Information Board, I set off along the trail.

Dune Ridge Trail Information Board:

Start of Dune Ridge Trail:

I found out about the Little Talbot Island trail on the excellent Florida Hikes website. I only wish I had bothered to read the two comments prior to setting off.
1) Take bug spray for the wooded area.
2) DEFINITELY take bug spray for the canopied area……….matter of fact, take two cans!

I would go so far as to say take three cans!!!

The initial track was fairly wide however it soon narrowed to such an extent that countless large spider webs started to span across the trail. These orb webs hosted spiders ranging from 1cm up to around palm-sized! I had no idea if any of these spiders could give a nasty bite! While it was easy enough to avoid the webs that were glistening in the sun, the ones in the shade were harder to notice. However, as I am not particularly frightened of spiders, I carried on.

Golden Orb Web Spider:

What was much worse than the palm-sized spiders were the numerous mosquitos that started landing on me. I killed most before they had a chance to bite but failed to avoid several bites. If I stopped for any more than two seconds, I would have several mosquitos on me. I was definitely regretting wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

However it was worth stopping to photograph a beautiful Blue Dasher Dragonfly.

Blue Dasher Dragonfly:

One mile into the Dune Ridge Trail:

Orchard Webweaver:

Dune Ridge Trail:

About 1.5 miles into the trail, my buglife concern increased significantly when I spotted a spider with a small red hour-glass shape on it. My initial concern was that it was a female Black Widow. However, after a closer look I realised it was the wrong shape and colour to be a Black Widow. I was however now really keen to get out of the forest asap.

Spider:

I was relieved when the narrow path through the forest opened up into an area of dunes and then led down onto the beach.

Dune Ridge Trail:

Approaching the dunes:

Dunes:

Approaching the beach:

I really enjoyed the walk along the beach. This part of the walk was bug-free albeit the temperature was around 90F.

Little Talbot Island Beach:

I saw several Horseshoe Crab shells whilst walking along the beach. No living crabs unfortunately. I have always wanted to see a Horsehoe Crab - a 450 million year old species considered to be a "living fossil".

Horseshoe Crab (shell):

A Godwit?:

It was also really nice to see a Gopher Tortoise.

Gopher Tortoise:

Gopher Tortoise:

On the beach, I also saw what I initially thought to be Black-headed Gulls. However, I soon noticed that the leg colour was different and they had white around their eyes. On looking up these birds, I believe them to be Laughing Gulls.

Laughing Gulls:

After walking circa 4 miles, I met up with Carole, Becky and Fiona on the beach.

At the beach:

Walkway back to car park:

We then had a bite to eat in the BBQ area next to the car park where I spotted a Palamedes Swallowtail butterfly as well as countless ants.

Palamedes Swallowtail:

As well as spotting five vultures during the drive home, I also saw a Bald Eagle. No photos unfortunately as we were driving along a main road at the time and could not stop. Still REALLY chuffed though with seeing such an incredible bird. :) :) :) :) :)
foggieclimber

Re: Dune Ridge Trail, Little Talbot Island, Florida

Postby john923 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:28 pm

Some nice wildlife pics there - always good to see somewhere different. Pity the info board didn't warn you about the bugs - the detail on there about grades, slopes and path widths is impressive for what looks like a pretty flat walk! :D
john923

Munros:16   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:187   Islands:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland