walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canada - Black Rock Mountain (South Ghost Wilderness)

Canada - Black Rock Mountain (South Ghost Wilderness)

Postby ChrisW » Wed May 13, 2015 10:01 pm

Date walked: 12/05/2015

Time taken: 5

Distance: 11.2 km

Ascent: 923m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Just finding your way to Black Rock Mountain might be considered an achievement, located in the South Ghost Wilderness area it stands apart from its neighbours towering over the Ghost River below. The buttress like southern flank initially seems impenetrable but there is one route available through the buttress with just a little easy scrambling. If you do intend to make the trip a 4x4 with high clearance is advisable; a standard car could get part of the way with care but it will add 9km to the hike and might cost you more in repairs (if the trackside debris is anything to go by, a number of cars have left body/suspension parts behind along the way!)

If you are still determined to go you reach the trailhead by taking highway 1A west out of Cochrane for 13km then take the turning for forestry trunk road 40 (signed to Benchlands, Sundre & Nordegg) follow this for 25km to the junction with Range Rd 74b (a gravel logging trail accessed through a gated entrance) Follow this gravel road for 16 km but note this road deteriorates terribly after 5km and the remaining 11 bites pieces off passing vehicles with ease. If you are using a standard vehicle when you reach the top of the 'big hill' 16km from the start of the road and you see the warning sign about road conditions ahead park on the flat area to the right of the sign and begin your hike here.

for those with 4x4 and decent clearance drive down 'big hill' and onto the Ghost River bed, from here you will get a straight view of the Black Rock Mountain (seen here above the truck) In early summer and late autumn you will often find the river dry (well technically it's still there but running under the stone river bed and occasionally visible) The floods of 2013 washed away most of the track that existed here so it is a case of picking your way along the river (there's usually a few wheel tracks around to get you toward the trailhead)

Drive along the river bed toward the mountain and take the left curve with the river, continue along until you are almost level with the deep gully visible on Black Rock Mountain, here you should see a small orange diamond on a metal pole with number 37 in black text. This is where you turn right directly toward Black Rock Mtn. The shot below gives some idea of the location of the marker.

After crossing the riverbed here you should see the remains of the track leading to the trailhead area (very rough ground and steep climb from riverbed to track, high clearance a must) Another quarter mile or so and you will reach a berm where the parking for the trailhead is found. To find the trailhead (washed away by the 2013 flood) take a direct line from the top of the berm toward the middle of Black Rock Mountain, scramble up the bank and you should see it immediately.

It is undoubtedly not 'easy' to reach the trailhead for Black Rock but the remote location and wonderful feeling of isolation when you finally arrive makes it all worth it. By the time I find the kiosk and I'm setting off up the trail it's 09:30, the sun is already warming the forest but the overnight chill still remains, there's no sign of the snowfall from yesterday as I kick up dust setting out along the trial.

For the first 3km or so the trail is a gentle gradient that makes its way into the forest slowly moving left as it traverses the hillside. First constructed as a mule trail to supply the fire lookout on top of Black Rock it swings in long switchbacks through typical Canadian forest. There are few views to be had along the way but the ground is covered quickly on an excellent trail.

As you reach the treeline that south facing bulwark comes into view and the real ascent begins as you follow a scree chute through the last of the pines toward more open ground.

As I gain ground up the scree slope I can finally see back along the Ghost River to the formidable walls of Mt Costigan and beyond that to Orient Point, between these two are three Ghost Lakes and Lake Minnewanka which cuts 29km through the mountains to Banff.

Back to that slope and the continuing climb to gain the first ridge, I already have my mind on the access through the sheer walls to the flat ridge above, I think I see a few locations where a good scramble would make it but my guide book says an 'easy' scramble so none of my selections could be right.

That first ridge is a lovely spot to stop for a moment and have a short beak, a nice 'rock garden' provides numerous seating choices and the view over the Ghost is spectacular.

Looking upstream through the Devil's Gap as I sit and eat my first orange of the day. The white pinnacle mountain in the far distance is Mt Aylmer, the obvious tower is the 'Devil's Head' and all around them mountains too numerous to name.

Starting out again the scree continues in an endless flow of semi stable rock that shifts beneath you in unpredictable waves. My guide book tells me I will see the trial again as I reach the base of the cliffs ahead so onward and upward I go cursing the scree with every step.

The book was right again, at the base of the cliff is a well trodden pathway that leads around the west side of the mountain and provides another wonderful viewpoint as well as some flat easy walking which is more than welcome.

The path circles the western flank without gaining much ascent at all giving me plenty of energy for a timed shot of yours truly wandering the trail. I've been in a T-shirt since the start of the hike but the fleece hanging by my side was put on soon after this shot.

Further along the trail there is a very sudden howling wind from nowhere, it appears to be originating in the valley below and coming up and over the mountain which is unusual. Soon after this shot I find the reason...

The trail makes a hard right turn into the mountain up a tall scree chute where that wind is really making it's presence felt, the chute is acting like a chimney and drawing the wind up through the cutting. As soon as I get out and onto yet more scree above the opening the wind is gone, yet walking back a little way shows it is still there howling through.

Another scree plod brings me out to the lower plateau where the top of those south facing cliffs makes a lovely spot to warm up again in the morning sunshine. The meadow above the chute appears almost manicured and I can hear the whistle of Marmots calling to each other to warn of my presence though frustratingly I can't see them.

From the lower meadow another rock buttress forces me wide to circumnavigate the rock wall in the obvious location, it's easy walking again at this point and really enjoyable as the soft ground cushions every step toward yet another scree slope.

Up and out of the scree again brings me to another plateau where at last the target is in sight though I have to say it is disappointingly distant at this juncture.

This second high meadow is long enough to allow a breather as you head toward the final ascent (which can only be described as a nightmare of steep scree slopes) on approach to the base the little fire lookout can be seen at last, perched on the edge of that final bulk.

Half way up the scree slope I stop for a breather and to grab a zoomed shot of the 'Devils Head' directly opposite, but mostly I stopped for the breather, that slope is a very tough grunt and at 8080 ft the altitude likes to remind me that 30 years of smoking takes it's toll even 10 years after you stopped.

The slope steepens notably toward the end and a little hands on is required as I scramble up to a narrowing ledge with a huge drop off on either side, you wouldn't call it exposed but if you didn't like heights this might be an issue (or if it was windy it would certainly focus the mind) Looking back, the long meadow on the high plateau can now be seen in full as I make my way along the ridge. It's also a great view of the Ghost River and mountains beyond.

Once off the narrow ridge I ascend the final scree slope (which is thankfully very short) and arrive on a tight plateau where the small lookout still survives as it has since 1928. Admittedly it is not in the best of shape but there is something beautiful about the weathered wooden shingles that continue to hang defiantly in such an exposed location through so many Canadian winters.

It's almost impossible to imagine spending weeks/months up here in isolation in this tiny space, on a day like today it might seem appealing but I suspect when the wind blows hard it is at least a little troubling. From inside the view east over the prairies shows why this particular location was chosen though it was abandoned after 22 years when Mockingbird Lookout was constructed.

A thousand names carved/written and sprayed into and onto the walls of the lookout show a history if visitors dating back to those first years of abandonment, the view to the west shows why they keep returning.

The small table to the rear of the lookout makes an excellent tripod for the unusual summit shot today. Don't let the floppy sun hat and glasses fool you, it quite cold up top ;)

I took a walk out onto the only outlier available which helps to show the precarious position of lookout, the stretched steel cables that hold it to the summit tell a story of their own. The mountains to the west and prairies to the east also show it's perfect placement on the very edge of the rockies.

From behind the lookout the view to the north shows the line of Rockie Mountains reaching to the horizon, to the east is the North Ghost area and Mockingbird Hill fire lookout

I decided on a better summit shot when I found a nice spot to sit the camera on the west side of the lookout showing that wonderful panorama behind me. I sat outside the lookout in the sunshine to have lunch and enjoyed a little more time up top than my usual 10 minutes, it was a wonderful place to have all to myself.

On the way out I took a shot of me on that narrow ridge for scale, as you can see falling off here isn't advisable but there is plenty of room and unless there's a wicked wind blowing there's little danger of a fall.

It's worth noting that all of the plateaus crossed along the way have significant fissures in them which could easily lead to a broken leg or worse. Not a problem in summer but if covered in snow these things would become a significant hazard.

Dropping back down to the lower plateau provides a final window across the upper meadows to the ghost river as it winds south alongside those pristine mountains

Once off the plateau and back in the forest I had the strangest feeling that I was being followed by something, there wasn't any sign of anything or any sound for that matter but I couldn't shake the feeling, maybe I'd had too much sun!! The map below shows the start points for those with a 4x4 and those without, either way you will find Black Rock Mountain worth the effort.
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Canada - Black Rock Mountain (South Ghost Wilderness)

Postby Mal Grey » Thu May 14, 2015 3:46 pm

Wow, what a place. Just reading about the drive in had me knackered before you even started climbing. Another great report, I'd love to get up mountains like this.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby trailmasher » Thu May 14, 2015 4:58 pm

Yet another great report and photo's Chris. :clap: Despite the drive ins you're lucky to be so near to places of such beauty.
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Alteknacker » Thu May 14, 2015 7:22 pm

Another great report, and brilliant pics. I do envy you having easy access to places like this.

But I still don't quite believe you aren't doing something in Photoshop to get those blue skies :)
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby ChrisW » Fri May 15, 2015 3:55 am

Mal Grey wrote:Wow, what a place. Just reading about the drive in had me knackered before you even started climbing. Another great report, I'd love to get up mountains like this.

Thanks Mal, gettin to the South Ghost is a bit of a pain but I love the isolation of the place and the absolute beauty of these incredible mountains :D

trailmasher wrote:Yet another great report and photo's Chris. :clap: Despite the drive ins you're lucky to be so near to places of such beauty.

Cheers Trailmasher, there are thousands of mountains out here almost all of which are much more accessible than these, but I just love to be out of the way and alone :wink:

Alteknacker wrote:Another great report, and brilliant pics. I do envy you having easy access to places like this.

But I still don't quite believe you aren't doing something in Photoshop to get those blue skies :)

Thanks Alteknacker, I know how lucky I am to be here for a few years (and I doing my best to make the most of it) but I swear the sky is like that, I didn't even use a polariser on this one (as I sometimes do) ....we are heading into the rainy season though (End of May to end of June is when Calgary gets 50% of it's annual rainfall....which I think is about a cup full :lol: )
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri May 15, 2015 10:13 pm

Looks like a real adventure on a stunning ridge, so when your climbing the Devils Head, looks insane. :shock:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Clach Liath » Sat May 16, 2015 5:47 pm

Beautiful. In those remote areas, what is mountain rescue like? And do you need to be insured for that?
Clach Liath
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:82
Fionas:37   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:240
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Tue May 19, 2015 2:12 am

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Looks like a real adventure on a stunning ridge, so when your climbing the Devils Head, looks insane. :shock:

This is a lovely hike JK...but that Devils Head is a bit too much for my liking :shock: ...I'll give it a miss mate :lol: :lol:

Clach Liath wrote:Beautiful. In those remote areas, what is mountain rescue like? And do you need to be insured for that?

Cheers CL, mountain rescue is really good throughout the rockies with many groups interacting to make it happen including the tour helicopters :shock: The huge string of fire lookout towers along the rockies have mobile communications so you generally have a phone signal once above the tree line, personally I carry a SPOT system so even in a deep cutting I've got satellite communication if I really need it.

Canada has a specific statement against charging for search and rescue that goes like this...................
the perceived or actual belief that a lost or injured person or their loved ones will be charged for a search and rescue response could directly affect the decision as to if or when a call for professional help will be made. It is our position that any delay in the deployment of Search and Rescue (SAR) services can negatively impact the outcome of a SAR mission.

I agree with the sentiment but on occasion you can't help but think a jeans and trainers dude in -40 degrees half way up a mountain should be making a contribution :roll:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Phooooey » Tue May 19, 2015 6:42 am

Hi Chris, its been a long time since I last posted on here and now several thousand miles closer to you. We moved to Vancouver last year and have attempted a few of our local hills (still much bigger than most back in the Lake District but tiny compared to some of your efforts). As usual, fantastic photos and report. Can't wait until I get a little time off work to come into your playground. (think Damson & I will start with some of your smaller climbs though).
Phooooey

Hewitts:111

Postby ChrisW » Wed May 20, 2015 3:26 pm

Phooooey wrote:Hi Chris, its been a long time since I last posted on here and now several thousand miles closer to you. We moved to Vancouver last year and have attempted a few of our local hills (still much bigger than most back in the Lake District but tiny compared to some of your efforts). As usual, fantastic photos and report. Can't wait until I get a little time off work to come into your playground. (think Damson & I will start with some of your smaller climbs though).

Thanks Phooooey, welcome to Canada, awesome news :thumbup: Vancouver is a bit different to home eh? Sarah and I have been over there for a tourist wander and we were just discussing heading to Vancouver Island sometime this year to do some of the west coast trail. If you are heading this way anytime, give me a shout I'd be happy to show you around....I love a nice little hill myself ....in the mean time are we going to see some posts from Vancouver :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland