walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canada - Breaking in new boots on spectacular Nihahi Ridge

Canada - Breaking in new boots on spectacular Nihahi Ridge

Postby ChrisW » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:30 pm

Date walked: 05/10/2015

Time taken: 4.5

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 799m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This report is an abbreviated look at a spectacular ridge that held top spot on my favourites list for quite some time. to see a route map and full description of the hike you can check my previous post for this hike :wink:

I set out today to break in new boots and drifted down to the Elbow Valley just 30 minutes from home with no particular hike planned. It was such a beautiful day I just kept going, the new boots were perfect and the scenery was stunning. Fresh snow over the weekend just added to the beauty until what was to going to be a 'diary only' entry on WH became a 'better share some of these pics' entry, so without further ado here's some pretty nice shots of the Elbow Valley :D

Approaching the end of highway 66 at the Elbow Valley Campground

Mt Glasgow, Mt Cornwall, Banded Peak and Outlaw - The guardians of the Elbow Valley still holding a good covering of snow from the weekend.

The snow, frost and wind has stripped a lot of the autumn colour form the trees as the car park coating shows.

Entering the Little Elbow Trail in order to reach the Nihahi Ridge Trail

After 4km I'm on the low end of the ridge looking over to the flat tops of Mt Romulus and Mt Remus and the sharp pinnacle of Fisher Peak.

There's still a way to go yet and some nice scrambling to be had before reaching the ridge top (shot shows the first of many false summits)

The worst part today is ascending 'the wall' where meltwater, snow and ice make the steep scramble much more challenging (shot from half way up)

Up over the wall and through a snow covered scree bowl to a stunning 180 degree view

Looking back down you can see my trail through the snow/scree bowl from the top of 'the wall' to the ridge

It's a steep climb up the ridge to the final step which is an easy 15m scramble

I'm quickly on the ridge top looking back over the steep ascent route

It's a wonderful view, to the right is the 'Little Elbow Trail' which leads around the western side of Mt Glasgow, Cornwall, Banded Peak and Outlaw to Tombstone Campground. On the left is 'The Big Elbow Trail' which leads around the eastern side of the same leviathans to reach the same destination.

Looking north along the ridge with Mt Fullerton across Nihahi Creek to the left

Fisher Peak in a snow shower to the left, Fullerton Massif centre and Mt Bryant to the right

Looking back over the route in, truck is parked at the bottom of Forget-me-not Ridge to the left of shot

At 7750 feet its thumbs up for the new boots which had no issues, though they will be out of use soon until next spring (fur lined winter boots replace standard boots when the -20's hit) :wink:

North along the ridge

There's no wonder this was my favourite Canadian hike for such a long time (it was usurped by Burstall Pass)

Safely down 'the wall' and following my own footprints out along the lower ridge

Saw a small group of Rocky Mountain Sheep who were (as always) happy to pose for pictures

A view back to Nihahi Ridge from the car park after a perfect day :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Canada - Breaking in new boots on spectacular Nihahi Rid

Postby dav2930 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:33 pm

Absolutely stunning as ever Chris. Looks like Winter's setting in already up there. Great shot of the Rocky Mountain sheep and that ridge you were on looks fantastic. :clap:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:14 pm

Such wonderful fine autumnal light Chris, a real feast for the eyes :clap:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Chris Mac » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:59 pm

Wow... great to see you get up on one of those bad boys Chris! Stunning scenery yet again and another great report! The local beasts certainly enjoy posing for your camera!

Glad the boots worked out well for it, I imagine with jaggy ridges like that to traverse that it won't be long until you need a new pair again!! :lol: :lol:

Those views and panoramas leave me speechless... incredible and not bad to have in your back yard, just stay bear-aware while you are up there!! :crazy: :D

Mount Glasgow looks amazing, looking forward to seeing a summit pic of you up there at some point... :wink:
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby ChrisW » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:07 am

dav2930 wrote:Absolutely stunning as ever Chris. Looks like Winter's setting in already up there. Great shot of the Rocky Mountain sheep and that ridge you were on looks fantastic. :clap:

Cheers Dav, I'm hoping the snow will melt away again in the week, this time of year it comes and goes as it's still pretty warm during the day :wink:

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Such wonderful fine autumnal light Chris, a real feast for the eyes :clap:

Thanks JK, this one of my real favourites over here :D

Chris Mac wrote:Wow... great to see you get up on one of those bad boys Chris! Stunning scenery yet again and another great report! The local beasts certainly enjoy posing for your camera!

Glad the boots worked out well for it, I imagine with jaggy ridges like that to traverse that it won't be long until you need a new pair again!! :lol: :lol:

Those views and panoramas leave me speechless... incredible and not bad to have in your back yard, just stay bear-aware while you are up there!! :crazy: :D

Mount Glasgow looks amazing, looking forward to seeing a summit pic of you up there at some point... :wink:

Cheers Chris, I get through some boots over here, the scree is like ceramic shards in places and really does eat em up :roll: As for the wildlife, I find most of the critters are OK if you are alone and quiet but if there's a couple of you talking as you go you never see a damn thing :lol:

I was up on Glasgow ridge recently sussing out the trail with a view to taking it on though it might have to wait until next year now due to snow :roll:

Here's a little shot from the ridge looking toward Nihahi Ridge which is the long ridge on the left here
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby A Drunken Taffer » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:08 pm

Chris, these are some absolutely stunning shots! My in laws have just moved back to the uk from Canada, devestated I never got to do some of these treks! :(
A Drunken Taffer
Hill Bagger

Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Hewitts:63
Wainwrights:124   

Postby basscadet » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:39 pm

That ridge looked amazing.. Terrifying but brilliant :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby trailmasher » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:52 pm

Another great walk and report Chris and just love that ridge :clap: You always seem to have the most perfect skies in your neck of the woods something we've been short of here this year :roll: . And those birch leaves remind me of a pirates hoard of gold sovereigns :clap: . And furry boots when it hits -20 :shock: :crazy: :roll:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:48 pm

A Drunken Taffer wrote:Chris, these are some absolutely stunning shots! My in laws have just moved back to the uk from Canada, devestated I never got to do some of these treks! :(

Cheers ADT, I wasn't going to post this as I've done it so often but I though the pics were worth a share, glad you like em :wink:
basscadet wrote:That ridge looked amazing.. Terrifying but brilliant :)

Thanks B, my first time up there was incredible, I was so full of adrenalin I actually ran across a short section, it still gets me a bit like that too even though I've been up there 5 or 6 times now :lol:

trailmasher wrote:Another great walk and report Chris and just love that ridge :clap: You always seem to have the most perfect skies in your neck of the woods something we've been short of here this year :roll: . And those birch leaves remind me of a pirates hoard of gold sovereigns :clap: . And furry boots when it hits -20 :shock: :crazy: :roll:

Cheers TM, I loved the look of those birch leaves in the autumn sun, in fact I really like most of these shots...I got lucky this day I think :wink: As for the winter boots, they are a godsend, fur lined, air -gapped insulated soles and crampon clips, but they are a bit longer in the leg and make my ankles stiff on long hikes :roll:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby jacob » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:01 am

Canada and the Canadian Rockies are definitely on our to do list. It'll just take some while before we've saved up enough money for the flight. By the time we have I'll send you a pm for tips and advices, as every report you've written is accompanied by stunning pictures.
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Postby ChrisW » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:50 pm

jacob wrote:Canada and the Canadian Rockies are definitely on our to do list. It'll just take some while before we've saved up enough money for the flight. By the time we have I'll send you a pm for tips and advices, as every report you've written is accompanied by stunning pictures.

Thanks Jacob, I'd be glad to help :thumbup: There is so much to this place it's hard to select where to go sometimes. I know of some hikes that I've yet to do that are truly stunning....there are just so damn many :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby martin.h » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:15 pm

Hi Chris, I'm sat at work reading this report and its really cheered me up, what a fantastic landscape.
Great report and lovely photos.
Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:44 pm

Still working overtime with the photoshop tinting, I see :D .

Barely believable scenery as usual. And those ridges look just wonderful :shock:

There must be SOME down side to living where you do...??? :?:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby ChrisW » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:24 am

martin.h wrote:Hi Chris, I'm sat at work reading this report and its really cheered me up, what a fantastic landscape. Great report and lovely photos. Cheers.

Thanks Martin, it's a spectacular country for sure :D

Alteknacker wrote:Still working overtime with the photoshop tinting, I see :D . Barely believable scenery as usual. And those ridges look just wonderful :shock: There must be SOME down side to living where you do...??? :?:

Cheers Alteknacker, the only downside is missing my son and grandson...and proper 'back' bacon ...not necessarily in that order :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby HighlandSC » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:01 pm

I keep threatening it...but one day I'll have me some of these Canadian hills!
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland