walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

USA - Navajo & Rim Trail - Bryce Canyon - Utah

USA - Navajo & Rim Trail - Bryce Canyon - Utah

Postby ChrisW » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:50 pm

Date walked: 11/11/2015

Time taken: 2

Distance: 6.2 km

Ascent: 170m

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Bryce Canyon is, for me at least, one of the most spectacular places in Utah, which speaks volumes in a state littered with the extraordinary. The name is actually incorrect as Bryce is not a canyon at all but a collection of amphitheatres on the edge of a huge plateau where the view from the rim at an altitude of 8000 feet (2,400 m) is breathtaking in more than one sense.

I returned here to share this wonder with Sarah as part of the '2015 foot rehabilitation road trip' and the day started perfectly as the $30 entrance fee was waived for 'Veterans Day' ('Remembrance Day' back home). We started out on the rim close to 'Sunrise Point' which provides an incredible overview irrespective of the time of day. Image

There is a well maintained 'Rim Trail' that stays perfectly close to the edge for the entire hike as it makes its way toward 'Sunset Point' providing so many photo opportunities along the way it's hard to get any kind of stride going before stopping again to take in the giant hoodoos reaching up from the canyon floor.

Sunset Point is where the Navajo Trail begins, there's still an amount of ice and snow on the trail but I had considered that and brought along the micro spikes, after a brief discussion about the dodgy ankle Sarah was keen to get going while promising to turn back if conditions necessitated.

We are soon making our way along the icy trail toward the canyon floor, the light here is bounced from one sandstone spire to another making the most fantastic colour which is occasionally contrasted by a splash of green from the Pondarosa Pine that are dotted around between the hoodoos.

In the sunny areas the ice and snow have melted away but lower down the easy switchbacks that descend into the basin there is still a need for the micros. In a number of places we see other hikers having real problems staying on their feet, the ice and dodgy ankle combination we would definitely not have been able to do this without the micros, so it's worth taking them if you are planning a winter visit.

As we descend the trail makes it's way around and through some incredible rock pinnacles, the temperatures drops considerably (from what was already a cold start) as we go along but the winter sun still warms exposed skin giving a sense of warmth even if it is false.

In places the switchbacks are squeezed between towering sandstone walls such that they need to turn and turn again within just a few feet, the dark speck in the image below is an ascending hiker who helps bring scale to the deep canyon.

There are plenty of places to pose for photos along the way and various ways to get past the leviathans that attempt to block access to the basin below, the colour variation here shows the difference between bounce light on the left and open shade on the right.

It's a great descent into an ever narrowing slot canyon where thousands of years of erosion have worked their magic leaving behind the most intriguing shapes, offshoots and holes in the porous rock.

Soon the narrow canyon gives way to a huge undercut that affords protection from any falling rocks which seems to be plentiful if local piles are anything to go by.

Beyond the undercut the trail narrows again before reaching a tight spot through which the winter sun returns, in the small space available another Ponderosa Pine stretches upward to the light.

A good set of steps have been constructed around the tight turn in the canyon ensuring smooth passage for the tourists that make it this far. I find it odd that Bryce receives less than half the tourists of it's near neighbour Zion National Park, something I believe is entirely down to the 60 mile journey away from the interstate to get here. I'm not complaining, at this time of year it means there's plenty of space available.

The trail continues much as before but now we are on level ground, the descent is done and ahead we can see the sky opening up into a wider area.

The map shows we have reached the joining of the Queens Garden Loop and Navajo Loop and that we have now walked back to Sunrise Point albeit in the basin below

As we pass through the Queens Garden section there are still various windows opened up to view what is ahead, behind and occasionally what is out of reach entirely.

There are a surprising number of trees in the basin once level ground is reached and though mostly invisible from the rim above they appear to be thriving in the 'drought or flood' conditions of the basin.

It's worth looking up once in a while as the basin floor has a number of natural bridges that cross over between hoodoos, I'm pretty sure I would trust them to walk over too, if they were accessible.

The re-ascent is different to the ascent route we took, it's wider allowing longer and more gentle switchbacks, so much so that there seems to bee too many to be honest, but then again it does make access/egress easier for those less able (such as the dodgy ankle brigade)

As we reach higher there is still a good wide route through the hoodoos and more gentle ascent. So for those thinking of doing this hike take the loop anticlockwise for the easier re-ascent to the rim ;)

At the halfway point in the ascent is a virtually level area that allows a breather while you keep moving toward the rim, that is if you can keep moving without stopping for more photos

Along the level area are a number of naturally occurring photo spots that protrude from the trail and offer varying views of the stunning surroundings.

As we rise back up to the rim there is an opportunity to look over the level area of the trail, the small black speck against the snow half way back there is another hiker returning with us to Sunset Point.

Once back at sunset point we dispensed with the micros at last and continued along the rim trail to Inspiration point where a shard of rock punctures the air above the basin providing a great photo location though it seems few people actually want to stand out on the end of it.

Sarah did manage to go a little way out on Inspiration Point but got little inspiration from it and instead adopted the "take a damn photo because I don't like it" stance before returning to more spacious ground soon after.

We continued the Rim Trail toward Bryce Point as the sun began to set casting long shadows across the top of the canyon which caused us to consider a retreat to Sunset Point but we decided to keep walking instead.

It's a lovely hike but with the sun fading fast we were going to have to turn around soon and return to the truck, the shadows over the canyon were already killing some of the colour.

We walked a little further to Bryce Point and caught some more of that wonderful light as it dipped behind the rim, all the time looking down on a myriad of hoodoos, each with their own curious attraction

Bryce Canyon is actually much more of a sunrise location than sunset (no matter what they name their points) as the sun floods into the valley from the east filling the basin with light, but still, sunset has it's moments.

We headed back toward the truck almost matching the movement of the shadow along the basin floor until back at Inspiration Point where a 'shadow selfie' was in order.

We sat together on a bench overlooking the basin, shivering in the cold evening air and talking about the beauty of the canyon and about being there together to see it. We stayed until last light before heading back to the truck and hitting the road to our hotel.
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: USA - Navajo & Rim Trail - Bryce Canyon - Utah

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:29 am

Brilliant photos. Fantastic place. I was there in 2002. Parked the car at Rainbow Point at over 9000 feet elevation. Went for a short stroll and was instantly exhausted due to the altitude. You gain elevation too quick in the car I think. We managed a few short hikes through the hoodoos though. Your route looks brilliant need to get back there
Cheers :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Mancunian » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:08 am

Great photos of a beautiful NP. As already mentioned in the delicate arch TR I've been there in 2007 and recognised the walk straight away because we've done it as well. Even some of the photos are similar... only yours are way better. The colours, the light, just brilliant... :clap:

Mancunian
Hill Bagger

Munros:102   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:30 am

Great photos of an amazing place Chris, some of the light you captured is exquisite. :clap:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby trailmasher » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:08 pm

Well Chris you've certainly done the business here mate :clap: :clap: absolutely brilliant pics and report. I always thought that Yorkshire was God's little acre but it seems as though he's changed his allegience :lol: I was gobsmacked with the first photo and then they kept a coming. Superb and well done you :clap: :clap: also good to see Sarah on her feet again :) after so long in the wrong type of boot :roll:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ChrisW » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:03 am

Sunset tripper wrote:Brilliant photos. Fantastic place. I was there in 2002. Parked the car at Rainbow Point at over 9000 feet elevation. Went for a short stroll and was instantly exhausted due to the altitude. You gain elevation too quick in the car I think. We managed a few short hikes through the hoodoos though. Your route looks brilliant need to get back there Cheers :D

Cheers ST, I was up at Rainbow Point in July 2009, my SUV almost melted it was unbearable, I had to go in the hoodoos just to find some shade :roll: ...still loved it though, but it was great to go back in winter this time :D

Mancunian wrote:Great photos of a beautiful NP. As already mentioned in the delicate arch TR I've been there in 2007 and recognised the walk straight away because we've done it as well. Even some of the photos are similar... only yours are way better. The colours, the light, just brilliant... :clap:

Thanks Mancunian, great pic :thumbup: the bounce light around the hoodoos is fantastic in winter afternoons and as the sun set it just got better and better then we had just a bit of snow to brighten the crevices, I'd say I got lucky the conditions were perfect for shooting Bryce that day :D

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Great photos of an amazing place Chris, some of the light you captured is exquisite. :clap:

Cheers JK, winter afternoons leading to sunset here is a perfect time for that wonderful bounce light...I'd love to shoot a sunset here, it must be incredible.

trailmasher wrote:Well Chris you've certainly done the business here mate :clap: :clap: absolutely brilliant pics and report. I always thought that Yorkshire was God's little acre but it seems as though he's changed his allegience :lol: I was gobsmacked with the first photo and then they kept a coming. Superb and well done you :clap: :clap: also good to see Sarah on her feet again :) after so long in the wrong type of boot :roll:

Thanks TM, you're still right, Yorkshire is God's little acre....Southern Utah is his desert patch :wink: It's really great to be able to enjoy stuff with Sarah again, I'd really started to miss our little weekend wanderings.
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby mamoset » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:23 pm

Awesome yet again Chris. Great pics of a great place.
It looks great how the rock has a hot appearance, yet with the snow laid beneath it
it adds greatly to the contrast.
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby ChrisW » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:48 pm

mamoset wrote:Awesome yet again Chris. Great pics of a great place.
It looks great how the rock has a hot appearance, yet with the snow laid beneath it
it adds greatly to the contrast.

Cheers Mamoset, the colour of Bryce in low sunshine is just remarkable, and as you say, the snow really brings a great contrast to the scene :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Riverman » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:36 am

Wonderful pictures!
Riverman
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:87
Wainwrights:4   Islands:4

Postby scoob999 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:54 pm

Good to see Sarah back on her feet again :D and what a place, looks like a set from Indiana Jones?
I've no been on here much recently so I must get caught up with your reports, you always capture areas so well :D
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby ChrisW » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:08 pm

Riverman wrote:Wonderful pictures!

Thanks Riverman :thumbup:
scoob999 wrote:Good to see Sarah back on her feet again :D and what a place, looks like a set from Indiana Jones?
I've no been on here much recently so I must get caught up with your reports, you always capture areas so well :D

Cheers Scoob, it's nice to have Sarah around on a weekend again. I don't often write up our hikes together as they are mainly short and easy but I still really missed them the last few months.
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Blokewithastroke » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:40 am

Not surprisingly we have been there too - 5 years ago. It is an absolutely stunning place to visit. Better than the Grand Canyon? It is an absurd comparison to make... but possibly "yes", in my opinion.

It is impossible to take a 'bad' photograph here - even for me with one and a half arms - yet you have taken some particularly wonderful photographs! You have succeeded in capturing the light on a stunning day - well done!
Blokewithastroke
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:15

Postby ChrisW » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:22 am

Blokewithastroke wrote:Not surprisingly we have been there too - 5 years ago. It is an absolutely stunning place to visit. Better than the Grand Canyon? It is an absurd comparison to make... but possibly "yes", in my opinion.

It is impossible to take a 'bad' photograph here - even for me with one and a half arms - yet you have taken some particularly wonderful photographs! You have succeeded in capturing the light on a stunning day - well done!

Cheers BWaS, not sure it's impossible to take a bad shot here.....I took a few the first time I passed through :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby past my sell by date » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:05 pm

Stunning - absolutely stunning :clap: :clap: :clap:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   Islands:5

Postby ChrisW » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:24 am

past my sell by date wrote:Stunning - absolutely stunning :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks :thumbup: it really is a spectacular location and to be honest I don't think the photos do it 'full' justice :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland