walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canada - Chasing Chinook Winds to Rawson Lake

Canada - Chasing Chinook Winds to Rawson Lake

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:43 am

Date walked: 27/01/2016

Time taken: 3

Distance: 8.3 km

Ascent: 338m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I've made the trip to Rawson Lake a number of times now but still find each one as interesting and enjoyable as the rest, it's a nice winter hike with a well trodden path making the going fairly easy.

Chinook winds are a frequent visitor to Southern Alberta in winter time, they bring with them huge temperature increases and brief respite from the Canadian winter (though this year has been very mild so far anyway) The temperature today rose to 14C in Cochrane and I couldn't resist getting the hiking gear on and heading out. I actually wore my summer gear but took a winter jacket along just in case. I made my way to Upper Kananaskis Lake which is the starting point for the short hike to Rawson Lake.

The lake and surrounding mountains look stunning as always in their winter whites, there's much less snow this year thanks to El Nino but there's still enough to paint this wonderful landscape white

Even out here in the middle of the mountains the temperature still reached 7C and it really did feel like a spring hike as I set out along the trail, the early part of which is wide and well trodden.

Something I find odd about trails out here is the proximity of seating to the car park, you've no sooner got going when a seat comes into view, but after a few miles where a seat might be welcome there's none :roll:

This crow at the bottom of Sarrail Creek Falls really cracked me up, he came down to the lake for a drink and attempted to get one from the patch that looks like water on the left of this shot....it is in fact ice, he banged his beak on it a couple of times and then sat on top of this ice pile shouting about it for a good long time :lol:

Soon after the falls the trail narrows considerably and the 2.7km ascent to Rawson begins, the forest is hung with swags as the temperatures rise, there's liquid water running through the creek leaving snowballs dotted here and there, soon the ascent is done and I'm looking along the creek to Mt Sarrail ahead.

Trying to get a few shots down by the creek caused me to question the wearing of summer trousers as I waded thigh deep through the untrodden snow, but it was worth it. After messing with photos for a while I made the last few hundred yards to Rawson where Mt Sarrail looms large at the far end of the lake.

After walking out on the lake for a bit I turned to see this nice symmetrical shot of my entrance behind me

A few snow showers brushed the top of the mountain as I stood taking it all in, the usual accompaniment of 'Whiskey Jacks' was absent today which was a shame, I guess they don't need a free handout with such a mild winter

After enjoying the views I make my way back down to Upper Kananaskis Lake where the view to the north shows more snow showers passing by

At the base of Sarrail Creek Falls I spend a while chasing images of the broken ice and the mountains beyond

I think I may have to return to this area at the base of the falls with the 'full photo gear' and get some shots as there are some great images to be had...this one in particular is a favourite from today

Not the most exciting hike today, but worth posting as it's my first of the year and it's pretty scenic too, if the current weather continues it may be another 'bumper' year for me but Canadian winters can turn very quickly so I'll keep that thought......on ice :wink: .................... :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Canada - Chasing Chinook Winds to Rawson Lake

Postby ilovescotty » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:50 am

"Not the most exciting hike today"

Still looks pretty exciting to me Chris!!
ilovescotty
Munro compleatist

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:2

Postby Riverman » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:18 pm

Stunning photos as ever. I'm envious. Winter here so far seems a total wash out. Apart from one cold day in the Brecon Beacons in November I've not seen a bit of snow and whenever I look at the SAIS blogs for conditions north of the border it seems like we're not having sufficiently prolonged periods of cold in Scotland for half decent winter conditions to take hold. In the meantime it's great to see these photos to be reminded what a proper winter landscape looks like. It's strange to sit at my desk in London and know that I'm actually closer to the north pole than anyone in Montreal, Toronto and Quebec and yet the weather outside is like April!
Riverman
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:87
Wainwrights:4   Islands:4

Postby trailmasher » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:29 pm

Once again stunning photos Chris :clap: and I like the way that you've captured the blue ice in a couple of shots :) The wildlife seems a bit thin on the ground today, did they know you were arriving :lol:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby IanEzzi » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:57 pm

Beautiful, reminds me of a snowshoe to Garibaldi Lake up at Pemberton (I think, I forget).

Loved the Whisky Jacks, little gluttons!

1529782_10153786016505241_1801472184_o.jpg
IanEzzi

Munros:173   Corbetts:20
Fionas:8   Donalds:2

Postby ancancha » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:22 pm

The blue ice photos look cool Chris 8)
Good on ya crow, if you are human they lock you up for expressing your displeasure in public :?
As always a good read with quality photos Chris :clap:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby ChrisW » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:15 pm

ilovescotty wrote:"Not the most exciting hike today" Still looks pretty exciting to me Chris!!

I think I've been spoiled mate :lol:

Riverman wrote:Stunning photos as ever. I'm envious. Winter here so far seems a total wash out. Apart from one cold day in the Brecon Beacons in November I've not seen a bit of snow and whenever I look at the SAIS blogs for conditions north of the border it seems like we're not having sufficiently prolonged periods of cold in Scotland for half decent winter conditions to take hold. In the meantime it's great to see these photos to be reminded what a proper winter landscape looks like. It's strange to sit at my desk in London and know that I'm actually closer to the north pole than anyone in Montreal, Toronto and Quebec and yet the weather outside is like April!

Cheers Riverman, we're having a bit of a weird winter so far with very little snow compared to normal :crazy:

trailmasher wrote:Once again stunning photos Chris :clap: and I like the way that you've captured the blue ice in a couple of shots :) The wildlife seems a bit thin on the ground today, did they know you were arriving :lol:

Thanks TM, that ice is in permanent shade or I could have got some cracking pics of the colour with light on it :roll: as for the critters...I think they are having it easy due to warm weather and couldn't be bothered making an appearance :lol:

IanEzzi wrote:Beautiful, reminds me of a snowshoe to Garibaldi Lake up at Pemberton (I think, I forget).
Loved the Whisky Jacks, little gluttons!

Cheers Ian, I love the whiskey jacks in winter and Rawson is one spot where they are almost guaranteed to put in an appearance ...but not today :(

ancancha wrote:The blue ice photos look cool Chris 8)
Good on ya crow, if you are human they lock you up for expressing your displeasure in public :?
As always a good read with quality photos Chris :clap:

Cheers Ancancha, that crow was my only wildlife today so it was nice to see him up close posing :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:41 pm

Can we have a bit of that excitement over here please mate :lol:
Stunning pics of this great landscape once again, keep posting so us back home can get our 'fix' :-)
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby scoob999 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:05 pm

Just Beautiful :clap: we'd been wondering when you were gonna get out this year, worth the wait though great pictures 8)

Kind of hope your lack of snow continues for purely selfish reasons obviously :wink: will make some of our big plans for this years visit easier :D
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby dav2930 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:02 pm

Great to see the Rockies in their Winter glory. Superb photos as usual Chris. :clap:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby ChrisW » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:06 am

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Can we have a bit of that excitement over here please mate :lol:
Stunning pics of this great landscape once again, keep posting so us back home can get our 'fix' :-)

Cheers JK, I've been a bit slack of late...I tend to slow down a bit in winter but if this weather keeps up the way it is it will be spring in a few weeks :shock:

scoob999 wrote:Just Beautiful :clap: we'd been wondering when you were gonna get out this year, worth the wait though great pictures 8)

Kind of hope your lack of snow continues for purely selfish reasons obviously :wink: will make some of our big plans for this years visit easier :D

Hey Scoob, you've been busy on YT lately with plenty of hikes....are you getting in shape for a big un in September :lol:

dav2930 wrote:Great to see the Rockies in their Winter glory. Superb photos as usual Chris. :clap:

Cheers Dav, it really is spectacular this time of year but bloody frustrating too owing to 'unhikable' snow depths :roll:
ChrisW
Rambler

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland