walkhighlands

This board is for meeting up, whether it means arranging group walking trips, or just looking for a partner for your next walk or sharing a lift. There is also a club directory.
Warning Feel free to use this board to arrange to meet up with other walkers, either individually or for a particular walk, or for a larger get together over a weekend. The usual precautions are advised when arranging to meet individuals you have not previously met.

Please note that meetups are NOT arranged by Walkhighlands and everyone who arranges to meet for a walk using this board is responsible for their own safety. Please ensure you do not attempt a walk beyond your own abilities.

Clachlet Traverse (Black Mount Munros) 16/8/14

Clachlet Traverse (Black Mount Munros) 16/8/14

Postby simon-b » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:28 pm

Jimmy (jamesjones) and I are planning to do the four Munros between Victoria Bridge and Glencoe Ski Centre on Saturday August 16.

clachlettrav.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

According to Memory-Map, this involves 20.5 km, with 1955 m of ascent.

If anyone wants to join us, please let us know. Jimmy and I will be bringing a vehicle each as it's a linear walk.

Thanks.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Re: Clachlet Traverse (Black Mount Munros) 16/8/14

Postby KirstyB72 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:30 pm

Hi.................I'm looking to join a group on this date and so far this is the only walk for this date posted!!! With only a few under my belt I'm unsure as to whether this should be something I attempt at the moment or do I need more experience??

I'm extremely keen to be bagging more than just one munro at a time, no dilly dallying as I enjoy the challenge!! And I regard myself as being fit and determined!!

If you could let me know.

Kirsty
KirstyB72
Mountain Walker

Munros:21   Corbetts:1

Postby simon-b » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:55 pm

Hi Kirsty.

Looking at your bagging maps, you'll no doubt realise that this would be a much longer day than you've experienced in the mountains so far. The terrain will also probably be tougher in places, but I like what you say here...
KirstyB72 wrote:I'm extremely keen to be bagging more than just one munro at a time, no dilly dallying as I enjoy the challenge!! And I regard myself as being fit and determined!!

These links should give you an idea as to the kind of challenge we'd be facing, and I think we'll take longer to finish the route than the time given in dooterbang's report.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10296
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/argyll/stob-ghabhar.shtml
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/creise.shtml

If you feel you'd be up for this, you're welcome to join us.

Thanks, Simon.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Postby henoctasus » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:03 pm

Hi Simon,

This trip sounds very good and I would be interested. I am a 24-year masters student at Glasgow Uni in Landscape Studies, and I also work as a bartender in the City Halls.

So far I've only climbed 6 Munros, Ben Nairnan last year, Ben Nevis 2 weeks ago, and 4 others in 2 days last week in Glencoe. I've also climbed some peaks in Carpathians and explored a bit the Pirinees, so I think I can easily live up to the challenge, having walked longer distances etc.

I've never met anyone off a site for climbing, so I'm not sure about any procedures, like paying the car gas etc.

Thank you very much for your consideration :)

Vlad
henoctasus
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:27
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:11

Postby KirstyB72 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:18 pm

Thanks ever so much for response...............I'd better take you're good advice.......get a bit more experience in with terrain e.t.c!! I'd better walk before I can run.......gggrrrrrr!! Hope you have a great day!

Kirsty
KirstyB72
Mountain Walker

Postby simon-b » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:23 pm

KirstyB72 wrote:Thanks ever so much for response...............I'd better take you're good advice.......get a bit more experience in with terrain e.t.c!! I'd better walk before I can run.......gggrrrrrr!! Hope you have a great day!

Kirsty

Kirsty, the advice wasn't intended to put you off, but just to give you a realistic evaluation of what we're likely to be taking on. You've climbed a couple of high mountains in the Cairngorms, and looking at your posts I see you've done a navigation course at Glenmore. You say you're fit and determined, so all this suggests you're ready to take on bigger mountain days than you've had so far. The Clachlet Traverse might not be for someone relatively inexperienced to take on alone or with inexperienced companions, but Jimmy and I have both climbed a lot of mountains and would be able to look out for you.

If you feel the move to multi-Munro days from where you are now needs a step up to a more intermediate level, that's up to you. But we'd still be happy for you to come.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Postby simon-b » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:50 pm

henoctasus wrote:Hi Simon,

This trip sounds very good and I would be interested. I am a 24-year masters student at Glasgow Uni in Landscape Studies, and I also work as a bartender in the City Halls.

So far I've only climbed 6 Munros, Ben Nairnan last year, Ben Nevis 2 weeks ago, and 4 others in 2 days last week in Glencoe. I've also climbed some peaks in Carpathians and explored a bit the Pirinees, so I think I can easily live up to the challenge, having walked longer distances etc.

I've never met anyone off a site for climbing, so I'm not sure about any procedures, like paying the car gas etc.

Thank you very much for your consideration :)

Vlad

Hi Vlad,

You're welcome to come. As far as transport procedures go, it's simply a case of getting yourself to the start point for the walk. After the walk, if you have no car of your own, we'd be able to give you a lift from Glencoe Ski Centre back to the start point at Victoria Bridge, if that's easier than finding your way home or to your accommodation from Glen Coe. If you're still interested, let us know and we'll be in touch regarding arrangements and times.

Thanks,

Simon.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Postby jamesjones » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:50 pm

Kirsty,

I just wanted to back up what Simon says. Wouldn't want to tackle the route on my own in bad weather as an inexperienced walked. From what you've posted sounds like you should be OK. The distance doesn't seem to be the problem for this walk I think the problems the difficult navigation between hills 2 an 3 but I've walked with Simon a few times and I'm confident we shouldn't have too many problems. It would be nice to see you.

Jimmy
jamesjones
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:9   Donalds:45
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:98
Wainwrights:91   

Postby henoctasus » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:05 pm

Hi Simon,

Thank your for your reply!

I would only come for the day, so I would leave back to Glasgow in the evening. Citylink does stops at Bridge of Orchy (probably quite far from Victoria Bridge) and Glencoe Ski Centre Resort - the earliest service arrives in the area around 9 in the morning and leaves at 8 in the night. Do yo think there would be enough time for getting to the station?

I feel I might interfere with your schedule, so unless I find a friend with a car in the mean time, I might just go for a simpler option and do another trip.

Thank you and have a good day! :)

Vlad
henoctasus
Mountain Walker

Postby simon-b » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:36 pm

henoctasus wrote:Citylink does stops at Bridge of Orchy (probably quite far from Victoria Bridge) and Glencoe Ski Centre Resort - the earliest service arrives in the area around 9 in the morning and leaves at 8 in the night. Do yo think there would be enough time for getting to the station?

Vlad,

We could meet you at Bridge of Orchy Hotel at 9:00 am and give you a lift to Victoria Bridge. Then it's a question of making sure you reach the Glencoe Ski Centre road end for the bus: I think that's the one that goes at 19:57? From what you've said in your first post, I reckon you'd be able to manage that, but we will probably be a group of mixed fitness levels. If things were going a little slowly for you, maybe we could split into fast and slow groups, so you could reach the finish in time? I know the whole idea is to meet people and walk as a group, but I'm just trying to think of options that would enable everyone who wants to come to do so.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Postby kmai1961 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:12 am

Vlad, I could get you back to the Glasgow area afterwards; I'm planning to come along (tho I've reserved the right to bail at the last minute if the weather's dire).

Come to think of it, I can probably pick you up someplace sooner than the B of O hotel as well; pm me, and we'll try to sort something out.
kmai1961
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:94   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:52   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:39   Islands:24

Postby simon-b » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:46 am

kmai1961 wrote:Vlad, I could get you back to the Glasgow area afterwards; I'm planning to come along (tho I've reserved the right to bail at the last minute if the weather's dire).

Come to think of it, I can probably pick you up someplace sooner than the B of O hotel as well; pm me, and we'll try to sort something out.

Nice one, Karen :D !
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Postby henoctasus » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:09 pm

Hi all!

Simon, thank you very much for offering to pick me up from Bridge of Orchy!

Karen, that is so nice of you! It would be indeed very helpful, so I will pm you to find a solution :)

Looking forward to the trip!

Vlad
henoctasus
Mountain Walker

Postby KirstyB72 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:48 pm

Simon / Jimmy

Thanks ever so much for getting back to me!!! Yippeee!!

I may possibly have another walk on now, but if I don't..........then I'll definitely join you. I do appreciate something I've never done before but definitely think I could manage it with experienced walkers.........and it's the only way I'm going to advance!!!

Excited muchly!

Thank you.

Kirsty
KirstyB72
Mountain Walker

Postby simon-b » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:39 pm

KirstyB72 wrote:I may possibly have another walk on now, but if I don't..........then I'll definitely join you.

Thanks for getting back to us, Kirsty. Just let us know when you've decided on what you're doing - it would be great to meet you, and we should have a good day.

Simon.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Meeting up, arranging trips and walking clubs