walkhighlands

How to... guides to Walkhighlands

Uploading from a Garmin / Strava

Uploading from a Garmin / Strava

Postby BoyVertiginous » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:24 pm

Hi, I'm probably not the first to ask this and did do a search, albeit brief, but wondered if there was a way to upload a route from Strava (which has in turn been uploaded to there from my Garmin - Fenix 3) to a Walk Report.

It does look like it should be possible and fairly straightforward but, apparently not to me.

I've tried using the "Embed in a Blog" option (Strava) via URL, Code & socialhiking options as well as exporting a GPX file to PC & uploading (from WH), all to no avail although the latter did lead to a message saying the file was too large and it appears to be about 3x the size of that permitted by the site. If there's a way to simplify the GPX file, perhaps this is the way?

Not sure what I've written makes much sense but, if anyone can shed any light on this for me, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Re: Uploading from a Garmin / Strava

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:33 pm

Hi, I've never used Strava, but like with other forums you can't put HTML code into your posts - as it would mean that Walkhighlands was insecure, and other sites etc. could put tracking etc. into our pages.

You are right that importing the GPX is the way to go. In an ideal future situation, we'd automatically simplify the files... which is something we'd like to add to make this easier. In the meantime, you can use a GPS program on your PC to simply the file before uploading it. This should be possible using simplify functionality in GPS software (no need to buy maps etc. so should be free) - do you have any GPS software at the moment?
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:40 pm

Here's an online tool that will simplify the files for you (if you don't have software):

http://labs.easyblog.it/maps/gpx-simplify-optimizer/

Upload the file with the 'open folder' button. Use the slider at the bottom to simplify it a bit without making the route look too crude. Download the smaller file using the download button under the open folder button (choosing GPX).

The new file should then be smaller and so work on Walkhighlands.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby BoyVertiginous » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:00 pm

Thanks very much, Paul, no GPS software at present but, shall have a look at this later.

Much appreciated, cheers.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Help - how to use Walkhighlands