walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

GPS -Viewranger on my mobile

GPS -Viewranger on my mobile

Postby David.Ferguson » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:18 pm

Hi

Thought folks might be interested in the image below as an example of the Viewranger software running on a new
Nokia 5800 mobile.I could not afford the phone and a GPS so 2 birds with the one stone and i am really pleased
with the ease of use and quality of image you get.I have downloaded a huge area of maps at 1:50000 scale for £20
from viewranger and the screenshot shows a walkinghighlands GPX route for Beinn Chabhair on screen.

I have only used it locally,not on the hill yet,and GPS locks quickly.

I don't work for them but just like something that i think is good value,simple and works.

David.

David.Ferguson
Munro compleatist

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: GPS -Viewranger on my mobile

Postby HighlandSC » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:20 am

It is good. I use if all the time on my Nokia N95. I bought the whole of North Scotland 1:50k OS Maps for about £45.

Theres a bit more info and links on the topic about it here:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1396

And a couple more screenshots I postsed in the Satmap thread
HighlandSC wrote: Image

I find it's great although it loses it's signal a couple of times for a period on almost every trip. Also at times it may have a signal, and draw the "correct" track as you walk - but it's all say 1/2Km over to the side of where you really are. It definitely seems to suffer with little glitches like this more than dedicated GPS units do (maybe that's just my N95 - I'd be very interested to hear how you get on with your phone after a few trips). But in general it's brilliant and great/cheap/easy way to double up your mobile as a GPS.

I'd recommened something like this http://www.proporta.com/F02/PPF02P05.ph ... t_mode=des to recharge the phone when you're out and about - mine defintely cannot be trusted to last more than 4-5 hours.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby David.Ferguson » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:47 pm

First hill use was a great success,never lost GPS lock at all and phone battery was still at 80% after 6.5 hrs of walking.
Very easy to wander (if that's what you want to do) without consulting a map as a waypoint alarm bleeps at each one.

For tricky navigation and when the weather closes in my GPS will be with me.

I can recommend.

David.
David.Ferguson
Munro compleatist

Postby smudger831 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:03 pm

I'd be a bit worried using one of these on my phone in bad weather as I am not to sure how water/weatherproof they would be compared to a specific GPS device.
smudger831
Ambler

Munros:21   Corbetts:1

Postby HighlandSC » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:09 pm

That's why I use one of these: (100% Waterproof)
phpThumb.jpg
The BeachBuoy

http://www.proporta.com/F02/PPF02P05.ph ... t_mode=des
HighlandSC

Postby David.Ferguson » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:13 pm

Hi Smudger

Yip i have the same concerns but on Sunday i kept mine in a small ortlieb case (one for keeping maps and cameras dry)
and am ordering a case similar to HSC's.Different make,Aquapac.

The phone is touch screen and works great through the waterproof cases.

It better do the job.

David.

Details:
Its guaranteed submersible to 15 feet (5 metres).
The UV-stabilized TPU material won't be broken down or discoloured by sunlight.
It keeps out dust and sand too.
The airtight seal means your PDA will float safely if dropped in water
Suitable for PDAs or PDA-style phones without expansion packs
David.Ferguson
Munro compleatist

Postby HighlandSC » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:28 pm

Good to know the touch screen phones still work through these cases - I thought they'd be a nightmare.

I have a Nokia N96 at the moment (not touch screen) but due to upgrade soon, so I might consider a touch screen model.
HighlandSC

Postby David.Ferguson » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:19 pm

Hi HSC

I must admit i was not sure about touchscreen but i love the Nokia 5800.Unfortunately my daughter loves it as well
and is kicking up a stink as it is far better than her phone.

I can actually text on it as well,it has a Qwerty keyboard,what a joy.

David.
David.Ferguson
Munro compleatist

Postby HighlandSC » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:13 pm

:lol: Don't give it to her! - I want to know how you get on with it after several visits to the hills.

I wonder if it's the GPS receiver on my N96 that's dodgy - cutting out, or showing me 1/2km across from where I really am! Doesn't fill me with confidence! Hopefully you don't get that with the 5800
HighlandSC

Postby David.Ferguson » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:50 pm

Hi HSC

I followed the route for chabhair from this site and the 5800 alarms at each waypoint and if i was more than
2 metres off course the waypoint alarm was gone and i knew i had veered off route.I was impressed by the accuracy/

The 5800 does have AGPS,is the N96 the same.?

Cheers

David.
David.Ferguson
Munro compleatist

Postby HighlandSC » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:40 pm

I didn't know it until checking right now (I've been meaning to have a good look into exactly what makes a difference for a while) but yes the N96 does have AGPS.

But...

I've been using the phone in "Offline" (disconnected from operator network/data connection) mode to save battery - this means that I lose the "Assisted" part (which relies on a phone signal) and have just been running on standard GPS. I was finding that in areas of no phone signal having the phone "Online" meant it killed the battery quickly by always trying to obtain a phone signal. I thought that since the GPS doesn't rely on a phone signal I may as well always run Offline - which works fine in times of good standard GPS connection, but for times of a bad GPS connection but a good phone signal then AGPS would make a difference. I'd imagine AGPS brings benefits even if you have a good standard GPS signal. Don't get me wrong, most of the time I DO have a good position just by using standard GPS. It's just the amount of times it goes haywire is still unacceptable. Damn technology :lol:

I'm going to try running my phone Online next time - and assuming I have a phone signal, in theory I should get a much more accurate position and track recorded which will prove AGPS makes a difference. Problem with my battery though will be if I have no signal it'll die very quickly (still give me 3-4 hours though and I have a charging unit I carry).

Waypoints - I tried them the first time I used it and got annoyed by the thing buzzing and beeping all the time. Since then I've only ever opted to "view" a route on the screen and compare that with the track being recorded over it, instead of "following" it waypoint by waypoint. But I can see using the waypoints in a lot of cases would be very useful and I'll try them again.
HighlandSC

Postby smudger831 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:09 pm

Let me know how all you techies get on with the GPS on your phones. My contract is due for renewal and if they are any good I may upgrade to one of these as my old Etrex 1 is showing it's age. Much like myself.
smudger831
Ambler

Munros:21   Corbetts:1

Postby sloosh » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:47 am

Google have thrown the first punch at GPS by offering free GPS for mobiles. I've no idea what the coverage is but it's early days yet so no doubt it will spark a bit of a stampede in GPS services for mobiles.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8331824.stm
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby HighlandSC » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:29 pm

That sounds good. Google Maps is already available free for mobiles - I often use it walking around or driving - it just doesn't give you turn by turn voice over, but apart from that you get everything you get on Google Maps on normal internet plus a marker on your position that moves.

That article you posted sounds like they're about to try and take on the real GPS big guns properly and offer a service with all the frills.
HighlandSC

Postby MacCookie » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:26 pm

The latest offering from Google is turn-by-turn navigation. All well and good if you're around town or driving to the start of a walk, but not much use up on the hills!

Ewan
MacCookie
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk