walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

GEAR REVIEW: Drybags

GEAR REVIEW: Drybags

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:43 am

Phil Turner wrote:It rains in Scotland, so unless you fancy lugging around soggy sandwiches – and perhaps more worryingly insulating clothing – it’s necessary to take precautions against moisture ingress. Most rucksacks are made from water-resistant materials, but they don’t have sealed seams and have zips and other openings that can allow water in. Short of carrying one of the drysacks-with-straps designs like the Alpkit Gourdon, you’ll need to consider some kind of supplementary protection. Pack liners are basically big waterproof bags that are placed inside an empty rucksack before filling as normal....

Click to read Phil's comparison review of drybags.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Re: GEAR REVIEW: Drybags

Postby tenohfive » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:10 pm

I've got a mix of Exped and Sea to Summit waterproof compression sacks - I want the option to be able to save space as well as keeping gear dry. As a stuff sack for a sleeping bag the Exped ones are fantastic - they compress horizontally creating a thin cylinder rather than a football shapes blob that the S2S ones do. The S2S ones are easier to pack/get the air out because of the membrane design.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004LSNF86/ref=wms_ohs_product
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000NQQ5A0/ref=wms_ohs_product
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby brpro26 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:49 pm

Rubble sack for inside the bag...Zip-lok bags for wallet, phone and keys. I'm a Fifer what else do you expect?
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:03 pm

Yotties use dry bags which are made of clear pvc type material, thus you can see what you're looking for, and don't have to empty everything out to find one little amputation saw.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Benjaminnevis » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:49 pm

Exped bags are great i use een for ma waterproofs or micro fleece and attach to my rucksack we a sma carabena. better than packing every thing in tae the rucksack.
Benjaminnevis
Hill Bagger

Munros:38   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:27   

Postby JoyceKLow » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:50 pm

I find alpkit dry bags, at a fraction of the price of others, do the job well. I always use a heavyweight garden plastic rubbish sack as a pack liner. Cheap but effective. The gear is expensive enough without paying a fortune for poly bags.
JoyceKLow
Munro compleatist

Postby Spade » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:30 pm

I use a Vango plastic bag liner that came with my Vango rucksack. It seems to have done fine for the past 10 years. But I do use a Sea to Summit Bag cover which is great. However, reading the reviews on the liners Think it's time I gave one a go. :crazy: :roll: :o
Spade

Munros:80   Corbetts:5

Postby funnybunnytom1 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:13 pm

I always use the exped dry bags they never fault!
funnybunnytom1
Stravaiging

Munros:2   
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:7   

Postby silverdarling » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:14 pm

bought a bunch of expensive podsac dry bags (lite i think ..) from tiso but these are nowhere near tough enough for general use, all are sliced and holed in 6 months of camping, hiking, kayaking, fishing ... poncesacs they are ...

got a sea-to-summit waterproof stuff sac cheap which is great; also v good for stuffin with snow if no flowing water and leavin it to melt in sun ...

found a wee northface drybag in the river and that's sound too ...

my experience is that ultralight kit doesn't last long, a lot of money for dodgy gear that can't be trusted unless you're camping on bowling greens
silverdarling

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk