walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr Dubh Circular

Sgurr Dubh Circular

Postby AnnieMacD » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:54 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr Dubh

Date walked: 26/07/2014

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Distance: 19.1 km

Ascent: 855m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Track_2014-07-26 Sgurr Dubh.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

As has been a regular occurrence this July, the weekdays are blessed with glorious weather and the weekend forecast was again miserable. The rain was due to start between 1-2pm but I was determined to get views from the summit of this hill (it's normally paired with Sgorr nan Lochan Uaine which I did last week in cloud) so set the alarm for 4am. FOUR AM I repeat, as I'm a night owl and I seriously considered not going to bed at all. I eventually stumbled out of bed at 4:20 and took breakfast with me so as not to waste any time or have second thoughts about going at all. I promised myself I would eat my b/fast before 9am. Unlike many people I don't enjoy eating on the hill and rarely feel hungry so have to force myself to stop for food intake.

There was a gorgeous sunrise over the Achnashellach hills as I drove down the Bealach road.

Looking across Loch Kishorn to Courthill and beyond.
ImageSgurr Dubh by anniesmountains, on Flickr

The Achnashellach hills at sunrise. Maol Chean-dearg, An Ruadh-stac and Sgurr a'Gharaidh.
ImageSgurr Dubh-2 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

I parked at the Ling Hut car-park and immediately I got out of the car was attacked by hordes of midges. There wasn't a breath of wind and the sun hadn't touched the glen yet. Made a mad dash for the midge jacket in the boot and got kitted up. But I couldn't drink my coffee - which is essential for a good day on the hill. No matter, I would have breakfast when I'd gained some altitude and there would be a breeze. :crazy:

The Fisherman's Hut with Liathach reflection.
ImageSgurr Dubh-3 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

I headed up the Ling Hut path and took off up the hillside at the third ford. I wasn't going to overshoot the hill this time! Actually there was a pretty good path across the boggy bits and up by the waterfall/gully.

The waterfall.
ImageSgurr Dubh-4 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

The thing about the ascent of this hill is that you can make your own scrambling opportunities. I didn't do much scrambling as it would have slowed me down too much and the midges were still out in force. Once the ridge is attained all the beauties of Sgurr Dubh show themselves. It's such a great hill - lots of jewel-like lochans, undulating hillocks, mini-cliffs, mixtures of quartzite and red sandstone, fantastic scenery on a gorgeous summer morning - priceless!

Just attained the ridge - looking back at Lochan Neimhe. Beinn na h-Eaglaise and Beinn Damh behind.
ImageSgurr Dubh-5 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Liathach and a glimpse of Loch Torridon from the ridge.
ImageSgurr Dubh-6 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

One of the lochans. The main summit is not visible at centre but the secondary summit is the prominence on the left - which is the top you see from Glen Torridon.
ImageSgurr Dubh-7 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

I knew I had to have some breakfast but there was still not a breath of wind and every time I stopped the midges descended in their multitudes. So I set down my pack and just ate my munchies walking round in circles. I'm sure I ate hundreds of midges too as they were everywhere - extra protein I suppose :lol:

Breakfast view.
ImageSgurr Dubh-8 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Breakfast view 2. Sgurr nan Lochan Uaine in the centre.
ImageSgurr Dubh-9 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Yet another lochan.
ImageSgurr Dubh-10 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Getting higher with quartzite on the south, sandstone to the north. Maol Chean-dearg on the left.
ImageSgurr Dubh-11 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

I then reached a three-way bealach and saw where I would descend into Coire an Leth-uillt. You are in and out of quartzite and sandstone - the sandstone makes for much easier walking!

Beinn Liath Beag, Beinn Liath Mor and Sgurr nan Lochan Uaine.
ImageSgurr Dubh-12 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

The final (highest) lochan and from here on it's a slog up broken quartzite.
ImageSgurr Dubh-13 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Same lochan - infinity pool effect!
ImageSgurr Dubh-14 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

It was at this point that I realized the midges had disappeared. I assume it's that there wasn't enough soil for them as there was still no wind. It was lovely to be able to sit down for a while! However, I could see the weather moving in from the west.

The summit cairn and shelter.
ImageSgurr Dubh-15 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

The east end of Glen Torridon with Loch Clair below and the road leading to Kinlochewe.
ImageSgurr Dubh-16 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

East end of Liathach and west end of Beinn Eighe. Beinn Dearg and Beinn an Eoin in the gap.
ImageSgurr Dubh-17 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

I then went over to the lower top which looks directly down on to Glen Torridon.

ImageSgurr Dubh-18 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

ImageSgurr Dubh-19 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

A lochan beside Creag Dubh and Loch Clair.
ImageSgurr Dubh-20 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Loch Bharranch and the east end of the Beinn Eighe ridge.
ImageSgurr Dubh-21 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

It was a very easy descent from the secondary top as there was a faint path all the way to the three-way bealach.

Sgurr nan Lochan Uaine straight ahead from the descent path.
ImageSgurr Dubh-22 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

The next part of the descent was not too steep and on grass/moss and I soon joined the path in Coire an Leth-uillt which leads all the way down to Coulin Lodge. The midges returned and I had to repeat my breakfast shenanigans to have some lunch. I had applied a midge repellent which was fairly successful in killing them but I was covered in dead midges in the sticky goop and the whole lunch experience was pretty miserable. By this time the rain had started and just got heavier and heavier throughout the afternoon. However, the walk out along Loch Clair was delightful.

Beinn Eighe across Loch Clair.
ImageSgurr Dubh-23 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

From the bridge over the allt which joins Loch Coulin and Loch Clair.
ImageSgurr Dubh-24 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Last look at Sgurr Dubh before the clouds obliterated the top.
ImageSgurr Dubh-25 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

By the time I got back to the road I could no longer see the tops of Sgurr Dubh and I had a LONG walk back to the car in the pouring rain. But I didn't mind (and even refused a lift) as I could contemplate my day and what pleasure it was to meander amongst the lochans of Sgurr Dubh.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Sgurr Dubh Circular

Postby malky_c » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:40 pm

Bloody hell, you're keen :lol: . I had a similar plan to get out early on Saturday and managed to start walking by 10 :? . Getting up at 4 only seems to be achievable if there's a bus to catch.

Mind you, looks like it was well worth it. I saw some sun on Liathach as I was driving down Glen Torridon, but by the time I got to past Shieldaig, it had all gone.

Nice circuit - the endless lochs around these hills are great.

Seana MheLlan looks like a good viewpoint for this area. I was contemplating nipping up it tomorrow while out on my work travels, but I think I have too much to do.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:59 am

Nice report and love the photos

I can concur with your point regards the dreaded midge - I think I too have added extra protein over the last few weeks to my diet!! :lol: if they are allowed to bite us then surely we are allowed to do the same back :D

looked like you got the best of the weather before it changed too :)

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby Ian Johnston » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:07 am

Some lovely images here Annie,

I gave up on Sgurr Dubh in a gale and some pretty nasty weather on a November day a couple of years ago..... time to try again I think!

Kind Regards

Ian
Ian Johnston

Munros:282   Corbetts:72
Fionas:20   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:128
Wainwrights:118   Islands:64

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:55 am

You beat me to another Corbett :wink: High on my list, this one, but we would like to combine it with Sgorr an Lochan Uaine. We had climbed pretty everything around them... The trouble last weekend was that wet weather front coming in from the west. That's why we went to Glen Feshie.

Getting up at 4am :? :? :? would turn me into a zombi. We managed to crawl out of ours at half five... The nights have been so warm recently, it's hard to catch some sleep.

SD looks like a fantastic viewpoint, especially Liathach and BE look majestic. Hopefully I'll manage this one in 2014... All depends on weather.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby clivegrif » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:01 pm

Ah this brings back memories! Love this mountain, its a right scruffy terrier of a hill, surrounded by bigger more shapely neighbours but it is just good fun.

I must advise you that I am adopting this report and the pictures therein as they are much better than mine. Its only right that I give you fair warning.

When I was there in early June I only met the midges at the bottom, but to be fair to them they are only little and it does take them a long time to climb to the top.

Love the early morning shots, it has to be the best time of day to be out on the hill. However that may be easier for me to say, I am a morning person! It must be hard for a night-owl like you to have to deal with the fact there are two 4 o' clocks in the day (I can't deal with the two 11 o clocks.....).

Great report and great pics - look forward to the next one.
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:48 pm

lovely sunrise and a very nice looking route - you certainly made the most of the day - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:49 pm

I'm with you on the 4am starts, fairly regular event for me and easy enough when you know it's for the hills rather than work.

Another great report, I've said it before and I'll say it again, you live in a lovely part of the world.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:07 pm

Those photos were worth getting up at 4am for - brilliant :clap: :clap: Amused by your antics to eat while keeping the midges at bay - like you I reckon they are extra protein, provided they don't bite first :lol:

Another wonderful report Annie - thank you :clap:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby mountain thyme » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:42 pm

some nice pics there Annie. What type of camera do you use
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Anne C » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:15 pm

Great report and photos Annie! :clap: The early morning pics are just stunning. It's such rough terrain...we were up there in February, everywhere takes longer to walk than you think. You must feel so pleased to have made that huge effort, to get it clear.Magnificent country - you're so lucky to have it on your doorstep!
Anne C
Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:30
Fionas:34   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:57

Postby AnnieMacD » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:42 pm

malky_c wrote:Seana MheLlan looks like a good viewpoint for this area. I was contemplating nipping up it tomorrow while out on my work travels, but I think I have too much to do.

SM is a great wee hill as it's in the middle of all the big-boy stuff! You could do it in 10 minutes but I encourage anyone to explore as it's got so many great nooks and crannies.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Postby AnnieMacD » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:00 pm

Thanks everyone for comments. I don't think I'll be doing another 4am start anytime soon!

BP, you need to get the pair of Corbetts done to finish off your Torridon bagging! I'm fairly stroking off the Torridon hills and most of the ones left are getting more difficult to access. My Graham count is lagging behind but I'll fix that when the days get shorter.

clivegrif wrote:I must advise you that I am adopting this report and the pictures therein as they are much better than mine. Its only right that I give you fair warning.
:oops: ... but I don't think so - your report inspired me to get myself up this one!

mountain thyme wrote:some nice pics there Annie. What type of camera do you use
MT, thanks - I have a Canon 6D with 24-70 f/4 lens. It's quite heavy but I'm getting used to it now. I try to save some weight on other things - like I don't take a hot drink and try not to take too much food as I never used to eat half of it.

Anne C wrote:Great report and photos Annie! :clap: The early morning pics are just stunning. It's such rough terrain...we were up there in February, everywhere takes longer to walk than you think. You must feel so pleased to have made that huge effort, to get it clear.Magnificent country - you're so lucky to have it on your doorstep!

I do know how lucky I am, Anne, especially as I don't even have to go outside to get a good view of the Cuillin (weather permitting). But the nearest supermarket is in Dingwall (approx. 75 miles) and Inverness (88 miles) has the nearest hospital, shopping centre etc.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Postby David Lyall » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:54 pm

Brilliant pictures
David Lyall
Munro compleatist

Munros:200   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   

Postby scottishkennyg » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:38 pm

Super images again Annie, you have a talent for capturing the mood of the landscape..Torridon looks great :wink:
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland