walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Half-century on The Bochel

Half-century on The Bochel

Postby superstar_tradesman » Thu May 05, 2016 1:20 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: The Bochel

Date walked: 01/05/2016

Time taken: 1.25 hours

Distance: 4.3 km

Ascent: 205m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My 50th Sub 2k was an interesting wee lump in a lovely part of the country—The Bochel stands over upper Glenlivet, a surprisingly green oasis surrounded by heather hills.

I was with the boys for a May break north, staying in Tomintoul. When offered a long and not so steep walk (Carn Daimh) or short and steep (The Bochel), they both unanimously chose the latter option :)

2016-05-01 15.02.21.jpg
The Bochel from the River Livet ford

There seemed to be a few different ways to approach this hill, but we chose the Allanreid car park at the end of the minor road SE from Tomnavoulin. There's a wee car park there, with a noticeboard showing the way marked routes provided by the Crown Estate who own the land round here. So we followed a track to a ford and a footbridge over the fast-flowing River Livet (I wouldn't have fancied trying to drive through that ford!). We continued along the track, skirting round the back of the house at Glack then slanted diagonally across a field of sheep to meet another path.

2016-05-01 15.17.58.jpg
Looking back across Upper Glenlivet towards Corryhabbie Hill

We crossed that path and then began to climb more steeply, first on grassy slopes then heather. Eventually the slopes eased off, and it was a pleasant walk through short heather to The Bochel's large summit cairn of pale quartzite (?) rocks.

2016-05-01 16.10.31.jpg
Down the Crombie Water towards Tomnavoulin

It's a nice viewpoint even though all the surrounding hills are higher; so we savoured it for a few moments before heading back the way we came to the car.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

superstar_tradesman
Mountain Walker

Munros:170   Corbetts:31
Fionas:16   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:82   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Re: Half-century on The Bochel

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu May 05, 2016 9:24 am

Thanks superstar-tradesman for highlighting this wee hill, I'm up that way in July think I might add this to a hillwalking day, maybe in the evening, it looks a fine viewpoint at the summit.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Half-century on The Bochel

Postby superstar_tradesman » Thu May 05, 2016 7:17 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Thanks superstar-tradesman for highlighting this wee hill, I'm up that way in July think I might add this to a hillwalking day, maybe in the evening, it looks a fine viewpoint at the summit.

Definitely recommended for an early evening walk! Ben Rinnes is another great walk in this area, but there are so many other hills I want to go back there to visit, like Carn Daimh and the Convals up at Dufftown.
superstar_tradesman
Mountain Walker

Munros:170   Corbetts:31
Fionas:16   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:82   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland