walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blair Atholl to Glen Feshie 3 day walk.

Blair Atholl to Glen Feshie 3 day walk.

Postby Border Reiver » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:24 pm

Date walked: 24/03/2011

Distance: 56 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After doing the Minigaig route a couple of years previously, I’d been thinking for a while about another similar walk. I’d read reports in the press about rumours that there was once a plan to build a road from Deeside and Speyside through Glens Geldie and Feshie, so I decided to have look at this route for myself.
So, at around tea time on 9th July 2005, I left the car in the Old Blair car park and set off up Glen Tilt. Rather than following the boring estate road next to the river, I went up past Fenderbridge and along the old Right of Way past Kincraigie, which is a very pleasant stroll on a grassy track high up the side of the glen, passing through patches of birch woodland. There are some pretty decent views of Blair Castle from there.
View of Blair Castle
The right of way beyond Kincraigie
The track joins the estate road just beyond Auchgobhal. It was a decent warm day, but a bit overcast and I kept stopping to look at pools and falls in the river Tilt. Well beyond Forest Lodge I found an ideal spot to pitch the tent, on a grassy flat near the river, the soft grass gave much needed cushioning.
Next morning was still overcast, but dry and warm and I set off at about 8.00am, just after an estate land rover drove past and back again. I made good progress up the glen, which was getting narrower and steeper sided. By the time I got to the Bedford Memorial bridge, the cloud was breaking a bit and the waterfalls there looked good.
The Bedford Memorial Bridge
After the bridge, the path narrows and climbs high above the burn for about a mile before the narrow valley suddenly opens out among low, heather-clad hills.
Upper Glen Tilt
At that point I took another break and watched fascinated as a big black and yellow dragonfly flew about 10m away and grabbed a large fly in mid-air.
Just after the watershed, I saw a large hairy moth in the grass next to the path.
Soon, the path turns once more into a land rover track (not indicated as such on the map) and to the right the rushing Allt Garbh Bhuide is replaced by Allt an t-Seilich, which meanders slowly and deeply down towards the ruins of Bynack Lodge.
From a rise in the track, there was a good but distant view of the Cairngorms, with Carn a Mhaim, Ben MacDhui and Derry Cairngorm clearly visible and some late-lying patches of snow.
Cairngorms in the Distance, with snow patches on Ben MacDhui
A little further on are the ruins of Bynack Lodge and the first river crossing of the walk, but this time the Bynack Burn was so shallow after dry weather that crossing dry-shod was no problem. Bynack Lodge must have been quite a remote place to live and I wondered what it must have looked like when occupied.
The ruins of Bynack Lodge, with Cairn Toul and Devils Point in the distance
Nearby, there’s a section of seasonal riverbed, on this occasion dried up, with large patches of Moss Campion growing among the stones, the only splashes of bright colour to be seen.
Moss Campion
Less than a mile further on is the Geldie Burn and another difficult river crossing in wet weather, but no problems this time. My way then turned West, following the Geldie Burn and rising almost imperceptibly towards the low watershed between the Geldie and Feshie. At the top of a gentle rise, a view opened up of the shallow moorland valley ahead, the ruins of Geldie Lodge and the rounded hump of Carn an Fhidhleir.
The track past Geldie Lodge junction
Beyond the Geldie Lodge junction, the path is quite good, fairly firm and picks out a reasonably dry route, rising barely 50m in around 2 miles to the Geldie - Feshie watershed , before descending slightly to the bridge over the Eidart. At the bridge ( a steel framework construction ) there’s a pretty waterfall in a gorge with a deep green pool below, with Silver Birch trees and heather overhanging the gorge sides.
Upstream, the Eidart disappears in a series of small falls towards the wilderness of the Moine Mhor, with Monadh Mhor and Beinn Bhrotain shaping the distant skyline.
Once the path leaves the Eidart, it all but disappears among deep heather and grass, passing near to a semi-ruined shelter. There were various argo-cat tracks through this terrain, but all of them at some stage went through very swampy ground. The easiest way was nearer the river Feshie and after much twisting and turning, avoiding wet areas, the path suddenly appears again and drops down to the gorge of the Allt na Leuma. It was only about 4.00pm, but it was hot and I was tiring, so I pitched the tent in what is possibly one of the prettiest spots in the Cairngorms. There’s a small, grassy and fairly level area next to the All na Leuma where it appears out of a beautiful, narrow gorge.
Allt na Leuma Gorge
Just beyond there, the burn tumbles over a small tree-lined waterfall into the river Feshie. It’s a camping spot that is well sheltered, being in a hollow and I lay in the sun for a while, being disturbed only once, by a walker heading in the opposite direction, who was hoping to reach Braemar that night.
I didn’t sleep well, it was too hot and I was woken next morning by even more heat as the sun shone down on the tent from a cloudless sky. I explored the Allt na Leuma gorge for a while before I had a cold wash in the stream while I waited of the dew drying from the tent, then packed up and set off down the glen on a fairly new land rover track. At first the glen is shallow, with heather covered hills and the banks of the Feshie are lined with Silver Birch, but then the glen sides steepen and there’s a good scattering of mature Scots Pines.
Occasionally, as the glen broadens, the track is little more than a pleasant grassy lane across the valley floor, occasionally meandering among pine trees.
At one place the land rover track has been destroyed by landslides and diverts across the river, while the walkers path crosses precariously over the scree, high above the river.
From there, the track goes through the beautiful pinewoods of mid Glen Feshie, where, on that day, there were dozens of beautiful blue dragonflies, zooming about where I sat by the rivers edge with, my hot feet dangling in the cool water. It was hot, very hot and I watched a group of horses trying to keep out of the sun under a pine tree.
Much as I wanted to, I couldn’t shelter, but I picked a route among the pine trees that had as much shade as possible, passing close by the Ruigh-aiteachan bothy and the ruin of Landseer fame.
My car was being taken to Glen Feshie for me, but rather than cross the river at Carnachuin, I stayed on the east side of the glen,
crossing the Allt Garbhlach then following the river to the bridge upstream from Achleum, where there’s some fine rapids in the river.
I reached the car at about 2.30pm and the thermometer on the car read 35c. It had been a long, but very satisfying route, perfect for 2 to 3 sunny summer days, one to savour and take in the vast moorland expanses of the Geldie, beautiful Glen Feshie and long Glen Tilt.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Re: Blair Atholl to Glen Feshie 3 day walk.

Postby Alastair S » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:37 pm

Whooo looks wonderful. Looking forward to getting out my MTB and exploring from the Linn of Dee this summer. Lots of nice bridges & waterfalls by the look of it.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:34 pm

Another great read with photos to match BR :D . The great expanse of land between Blair Atholl and Braemar is one of my favourite areas in the world - that it is just 90 minutes drive away certainly helps :) . There are summits but it's the secret glens and watercourses and solitude that I love.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby ChrisW » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:39 pm

fantastic report and pics - looks like a great walk and you got lucky with the weather (except for being a bit too hot) :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Border Reiver » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:08 pm

Alastair S wrote:Whooo looks wonderful. Looking forward to getting out my MTB and exploring from the Linn of Dee this summer. Lots of nice bridges & waterfalls by the look of it.

If you pick dry weather, you'll have no problems with the bike, there's not much ascent and it's all fairly gentle slopes. The only wettish bit was North of the Eidart for about a mile.

ChrisW said:fantastic report and pics - looks like a great walk and you got lucky with the weather (except for being a bit too hot)

Thanks, but digital cameras were a bit basic then at just 4mp, so they're not as sharp as any I take these days. Prior to that all my pics have had to be scanned and now seem a bit poor.

LeithySuburbs said:the great expanse of land between Blair Atholl and Braemar is one of my favourite areas in the world - that it is just 90 minutes drive away certainly helps . There are summits but it's the secret glens and watercourses and solitude that I love.

I love the solitude as well, that's why I do these routes like the Minigaig. I'm not antisocial, but when you live in the city after 50 odd years in the country the silence of the moors and mountains is rejuvenating.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Postby Bod » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:51 pm

Great report, enjoyed reading and viewing very much. Having been to most points on your route on various occasions the idea of the through journey would be lovely. You had lovely conditions, thanks for sharing....
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby monty » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:30 pm

Excellent report and just look at that weather. Thats a good grassy area for your first camp. Love the waterfall at the bridge over the Eidart. Some superb pictures all along the journey. Well done. :D
monty

Postby Border Reiver » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:37 pm

Bod wrote:Great report, enjoyed reading and viewing very much. Having been to most points on your route on various occasions the idea of the through journey would be lovely. You had lovely conditions, thanks for sharing....

Excellent report and just look at that weather. Thats a good grassy area for your first camp. Love the waterfall at the bridge over the Eidart. Some superb pictures all along the journey. Well done.

Thanks both, it is a great route that could be done in 2 days (or 1 day on a MTB), but I really enjoy making routes last as long as possible. At one time I would go flat out up a hill and back down - and see practically nothing in the way of wildlife or scenery, but now I allow time to stop often and take in the views, or explore anything that takes my interest along the way. A lot of people are so unimaginative and cannot do a walk unless it's in a book or on a waymarked path. Scotland is a great country for doing your own thing and the great Cairngorm passes and Mounth roads are ideal for multi-day walks, as are many in the Lochaber area, where the railway is a great help.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland