walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Frolic in the hills. Part One - B.O and Bumbles

Frolic in the hills. Part One - B.O and Bumbles

Postby Merry-walker » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:40 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Leum Uilleim

Date walked: 09/04/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 8.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My report is written on behalf of the club I belong to. The Forfar and District Hill Walkers Club

The day started very early with an alarm call at 4am. Met the others at the usual meeting place at 6am to car share a longish journey over to Rannoch Station. There was a large group of us but there was 4 different routes that members could walk and enjoy which we had made final arrangements for before catching the train to Corrour Station.
Aboard the train, I was impressed at the size and comfort factor of the compartment we sat in and we were just enjoying our luck when in walks a conductor who asked us to vacate the compartment and “go to the back of the train” as we were in the wrong bit. :lol:

Once at Corrour Station and everyone knew where they were going, off we walked....over to the bit that serves tea and bacon butties. (Mmmm, they were delightful). :D

After a nice sit down, I was walking with 4 others on our route up to Leum Uilleim also known as William’s Leap.

The group heading off

Still a bit of cloud hanging about

There was a faint track and the ground was very squelchy. We walked along the river then crossed over to head up towards Tom an Eoin.

Along the river

Then up

Still a low mist but it was clearing

Views opening up

Having a sit down (Carolyn enjoying the view)

After a short break, we headed over and up the side of Leum Uilleim.

Nearing the summit

At the top

Views from this beautiful hill top (still a haze)

The black blob on right just above the ground was a bird I tried to photograph (but failed miserably)

More views

The views from the top were stunning and the pictures never really can show the beauty of it. We stopped to have lunch whilst the bees buzzed around here and there. (They were humongous and like furry golf balls).

Beginning our descent

Dribble of snow left

Ray’s leg

The gang in front (have I got B.O or something?)

Now came the tricky bit as we descended down some rocky bits. Guess it’s wet bum time.

I stopped to take a photograph

Here’s where I got a surprise. I turned around to carry on but found I had lost the group. I carried on a short way further down hoping I was heading in the same direction as the group but was unable to see them due to the steepness of this part of the walk. So, I did what any sane person would do. I stopped to take more pictures.

After 5 minutes or so, I decided to walk back up but was un sure I was heading in the right direction. I didn’t know what was best to do, so I thought I might try hollering a “hello.....?” Didn’t hear any response back from this. I dug out my whistle and peeped loudly. Still nothing. Now I felt jittery and was beginning to sweat.

Now I can imagine what you must be thinking....

I was becoming concerned now that the group was worried about me and that they were searching all over the rocks (which I found out later they were). I could see the station but even if I couldn’t, I knew which direction I needed to go into as I had my compass and I could see the rocks quite clearly (hard to miss – they were big). As long as I kept heading downwards, I knew I would eventually reach the bottom.

I’m afraid I took more pictures

The ground was boggy and very holey. It was very tricky to begin with, to manoeuvre around the Swiss cheese-like terrain. But I took my time and managed to get back down without panicking or breaking my neck.
Unbeknown to me, the group had spotted me whilst I was half way down so they followed me and reached me at the station within about half an hour. I was so relieved to see them, I can tell you. The route we were meant to take was to take us back to Rannoch Station, therefore completely missing out Corrour Station all together. One of our group had gone on ahead to complete this route on his own.

Concerned that others that had done other hills might have been waiting on us to arrive at Rannoch Station on foot, we contacted them via the Station’s landline phone and messages were left to let them know where we were and that they were to contact us at the station. No one contacted us in all the time we were at Corrour Station – (later discovered they were not long back before we got back to Rannoch).

We had about a 3 hour wait at Corrour before the train arrived to pick us up. The time passed very quickly as we sat in the sun enjoying the view, drinking tea and beer and planning the walk for next month (it’s a wonder they’re letting me come).

Some pictures during our tea break

Using my shades as a filter

Started to muck about with the settings on my camera (ok, ok, I know......)

The train picked us up and took us back to Rannoch Station. Bill (a very experienced climbing and hill walking gentleman and did complete the intended route) had arrived back just 10-15 minutes before us. The route he took was horrendous for him as it was very overgrown on the path. If I had gone that way, goodness knows when we would have arrived back.

The drive home was a pleasant one with great company. We saw a Sea Eagle float down and skim the surface of Loch Rannoch. We stopped to watch her display but she floated away to disappear amongst the trees. :)

So, what have I learned from this? If you don’t want to lose your group, always wash away the B.O....

Many thanks to the club, especially the members I walked with (you’re extremely patient and kind) and thank you Ray, for the quiet and very peaceful drive back home.

A short video (and yes – along footery music)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeOEJv2fR8Y[/youtube]
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Frolic in the hills. Part One - B.O and Bumbles

Postby rockhopper » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:10 pm

Very entertaining as usual MW - though think I need a new PC as it took ages to load up 8)

Some very nice photos and good improvisation on shades/filters. :thumbup:

Perhaps the rest of the group were lost and only you knew the way (as they seemed to be following you.........) :lol:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:10 pm

The logistics of group walking are one of the main reasons I don't do it very often (WH meets excepted :) ).

Anyway, another entertaining report MW :D . This hillwalking lark has a fairly steep learning curve... at least you have company to help whereas I made my mistakes all on my own :? (not that I'm saying you made mistakes, if you know what I mean?).

Leum Uilleum looked a great wee hill when I was up this way 18 months ago and it must be a great viewpoint 8) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Alastair S » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:17 pm

Never a dull moment :lol: Well you had a fine day for it by the looks of it.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Border Reiver » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:58 pm

Enjoyed the report and pics again. The pics of Corrour reminds me of when we left the car at Tyndrum and walked from Spean Bridge to Corrour Station and got delayed in the last few hundred yards of swamp before the railway line. We made it to the platform all wet and muddy, just in time to flag down the Highland Sleeper. The guard told us it was the first time in 3 months that the sleeper had been flagged own. Just as well we caught it as we were going off to Coll with the bikes early next morning.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:52 am

Fantastic again MW!!! But why no photos of you????

Loved it all!! I've even have the people at work looking out for your reports!! :lol: :lol:

Polly X
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby ChrisW » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:44 am

Brilliant MW, love the fact that you lose the group and do a bit of 'up and downing' but keep on taking photo's - that's the way to do it :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Jockstar » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:38 pm

It sems that this is another epic display of map reading gone wrong :lol: It is also always enteraining when MW is out and about and this confirms that it is all too easy to end up at the wrong railway station.... :lol: I like the bacon butties part, and the photos are superb especially of the one at the top. However, I didn't recognise the man whose leg was in the photograph, but maybe thats another story :lol: :lol: :lol: And as for the bird....????
Nice bit of creativity using the sunglasses as filters and reminds me to clean my shades in case I try the same...haha.
Great fun. :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby morag1 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:13 pm

Lovely walk and lovely photos MW, you always get the most out of your time on the hills :clap:

I was struck by the photos of Rannoch Station, is that the one from the film Trainspotting where the guys rant and rave about being Scottish ? :?:
morag1

Postby Merry-walker » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:47 pm

rockhopper wrote:Very entertaining as usual MW - though think I need a new PC as it took ages to load up 8)

Some very nice photos and good improvisation on shades/filters. :thumbup:

Perhaps the rest of the group were lost and only you knew the way (as they seemed to be following you.........) :lol:

My pictures were huge, yes....Sorry about that. My shades came in very handy eh? I thank you kind Sir for reconing the group were the one's that didn't know the way. Alas, I don't think so :lol: :lol:

LeithySuburbs wrote:The logistics of group walking are one of the main reasons I don't do it very often (WH meets excepted :) ).

Anyway, another entertaining report MW :D . This hillwalking lark has a fairly steep learning curve... at least you have company to help whereas I made my mistakes all on my own :? (not that I'm saying you made mistakes, if you know what I mean?).

Leum Uilleum looked a great wee hill when I was up this way 18 months ago and it must be a great viewpoint 8) .

I know what you mean. I learnt a great lesson that day. I'm sure I have more to come (Oh Gosh, noone will want to walk with me now :lol: )

Alastair S wrote:Never a dull moment :lol: Well you had a fine day for it by the looks of it.

I sure did Alastair :)

Border Reiver wrote:Enjoyed the report and pics again. The pics of Corrour reminds me of when we left the car at Tyndrum and walked from Spean Bridge to Corrour Station and got delayed in the last few hundred yards of swamp before the railway line. We made it to the platform all wet and muddy, just in time to flag down the Highland Sleeper. The guard told us it was the first time in 3 months that the sleeper had been flagged own. Just as well we caught it as we were going off to Coll with the bikes early next morning.

:shock: Good job you flagged it down.... :lol:

pollyh33 wrote:Fantastic again MW!!! But why no photos of you????

Loved it all!! I've even have the people at work looking out for your reports!! :lol: :lol:

Polly X

Bless you Polly. But won't/don't they think I'm a weirdo? (Re pics of me.... I'm ugly) :wtf: :wink: :lol: :lol:

ChrisW wrote:Brilliant MW, love the fact that you lose the group and do a bit of 'up and downing' but keep on taking photo's - that's the way to do it :lol:

Thanks Chris.... Picture taking kept me from panicking...
:shock:

Jockstar wrote:It sems that this is another epic display of map reading gone wrong :lol: It is also always enteraining when MW is out and about and this confirms that it is all too easy to end up at the wrong railway station.... :lol: I like the bacon butties part, and the photos are superb especially of the one at the top. However, I didn't recognise the man whose leg was in the photograph, but maybe thats another story :lol: :lol: :lol: And as for the bird....????
Nice bit of creativity using the sunglasses as filters and reminds me to clean my shades in case I try the same...haha.
Great fun. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: Get ya shades cleaned... And while you're at it... do Su's too.

morag1 wrote:Lovely walk and lovely photos MW, you always get the most out of your time on the hills :clap:

I was struck by the photos of Rannoch Station, is that the one from the film Trainspotting where the guys rant and rave about being Scottish ? :?:

I mind the others saying this. I think you're right...

Thanks all for your kind comments :D
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Postby Merry-walker » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:07 pm

Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:41 pm

'Bless you Polly. But won't/don't they think I'm a weirdo? (Re pics of me.... I'm ugly) '

Noooooo! Mind you we are talking about BMS staff, so our gauge for detecting weirdos is a bit off kilter :lol:

As for no pics of you.... that's going to change when we eventually get organised and do a walk together- so you better start practising your best cheesy grin!!! :D :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Alan S » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:58 pm

Some really cracking pics there MW 8) 8) well done great report :)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby Graeme D » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:10 pm

Another classic MW title - obviously walking with Kev is having an effect on you! :lol:

I second what Chris said about still having the nerve (if that is the right word) to take photos when the chips are down. I still regret not taking pictures of the hairiest parts of my epic retreat in the face of adversity from Loch Lyon last July. :(

Oh, great report BTW. 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Merry-walker » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:42 am

pollyh33 wrote:'Bless you Polly. But won't/don't they think I'm a weirdo? (Re pics of me.... I'm ugly) '

Noooooo! Mind you we are talking about BMS staff, so our gauge for detecting weirdos is a bit off kilter :lol:

As for no pics of you.... that's going to change when we eventually get organised and do a walk together- so you better start practising your best cheesy grin!!! :D :D

Ha ha, my cheesy grin is a practising as I type :lol:

alan s wrote:Some really cracking pics there MW 8) 8) well done great report :)

Thanks Alan. :D

Graeme Dewar wrote:Another classic MW title - obviously walking with Kev is having an effect on you! :lol:

I second what Chris said about still having the nerve (if that is the right word) to take photos when the chips are down. I still regret not taking pictures of the hairiest parts of my epic retreat in the face of adversity from Loch Lyon last July. :(

Oh, great report BTW. 8)

Concentrating on the pictures helped... You're right about Kev's humour :lol: I hope you don't have another hairy moment that needs recording though :)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland