walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

BEN VORLICH & STUC A'CHROIN

BEN VORLICH & STUC A'CHROIN

Postby EACHANN AN DOIRE » Sun May 01, 2011 10:46 am

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn), Stùc a' Chròin

Date walked: 30/04/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 13.4 km

Ascent: 1110m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I climbed Ben Vorlich last Saturday (23 April) but the weather was awful – very low cloud, windy and miserable. On top of that my friend Lee was feeling a bit ill (Probably shouldn’t have been out at all) We got to the top of BV and turned tail and went back the way we came – too scunnered to even think about Stuc a’Chroin.

VORLICH 010.JPG
Lee looking sorry for herself last week.

However, not before I vowed to come back; for even in these conditions I could tell this would be a really good walk on the right day.

So I did come back today, a week later, leaving Lee behind with the mistaken view that she had something better to do! Silly person. (Incidentally, this was the day of the Stuc a’Chroin 5000 hill race – so called because it involves a total ascent of about 5000 feet. The course record for this 5000 ft. ascent and 22km distance is 1 hour 59 minutes! Not for me thank you!) The weather was almost perfect - a fine sunny day, albeit very windy.

The route notes on the Walk Highlands web site are as usual pretty spot on. However I would strongly recommend a wee detour through the “Hill Garden” of Ardvorlich House. Just as you take the track out the back of the grounds of the house you’ll see a signpost pointing to the left and into the woods. The path immediately splits east/ west. I took the east side and kept to ways closest to the gorge; very steep sided in places and at this time of year filled with colours and scents of rhododendrons and azaleas. The path has a few little bridges over tributary streams until you come to the main bridge over the burn near the top of the gorge. I stopped there for a few fond moments and in my mind went back to boyhood days spent guddling in burns, building dams and gathering frog spawn in a jar.

ARDVORLICH HILL GARDEN.JPG

From here I took the upper path which soon emerged from the wood about a hundred yards from the hill track and the recommended route.

LOCHEARN & BEN LAWERS FROM HALF WAY UP BEN VORLICH.JPG

The section from the summit of Ben Vorlich down to the beallach and then the scramble up the prow of Stuc a’Chroin was the highlight of these mountains for me. The scramble looks worse than it is.

N PROW OF STUC A CHROIN.JPG

BEN VORLICH (LE) FROM DONALD STUART MEMORIAL.JPG

ON SUMMIT OF STUC A CHROIN.JPG

Then on the way down I found a wee spot completely sheltered from the wind to have my lunch. I even managed to doze off for twenty minutes. What a blissful day. Lee – you don’t know what you missed.

(Views from these hill tops: Stob Binnein & Ben More; Ben Lawers etc.; Ben Lomond and the other Ben Vorlich; The Wallace Monument and much more)

Here are the best of the rest of the photos.....
V2 007.JPG
Ben Vorlich in full view as soon as you emerge from the Hill Garden.

V2 018.JPG
Stuc a'Chroin from Ben Vorlich

V2 029.JPG
Summit of Stuc a'Chroin from the Donald Stuart memorial

V2 021.JPG
Stob Binnein & Ben More
EACHANN AN DOIRE
Rambler

Munros:189   Corbetts:16
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:6   
Walk wish-list

Re: BEN VORLICH & STUC A'CHROIN

Postby skuk007 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:45 pm

Glad you finally got to do these two in a day. Did you find the route up the scrambly bit of Stuc a'Chroin ok? :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby EACHANN AN DOIRE » Wed May 04, 2011 9:51 pm

Yeah - although the trace of a path up seemed quite feint it was somehow quite easy to follow. I feel sure even if I had strayed I would still have found my way to the top. The scrambling was fairly easy and there's no real exposure as such. Also I could always see an escape route to my right. If you haven't done it already I would strongly recommend it.
EACHANN AN DOIRE
Rambler

Munros:189   Corbetts:16
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:6   
Walk wish-list

Postby rockhopper » Wed May 04, 2011 10:02 pm

Great stuff and what a difference a week makes ! :D

EACHANN AN DOIRE wrote:The section from the summit of Ben Vorlich down to the beallach and then the scramble up the prow of Stuc a’Chroin was the highlight of these mountains for me. The scramble looks worse than it is.
Often seems to be the case in these sorts of routes - looks bad from a distance but once you're on them it's OK. 8)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland