walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Slaying of Five Orchy's

The Slaying of Five Orchy's

Postby tamw51 » Sun May 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chreachain, Beinn Achaladair, Beinn an Dòthaidh, Beinn Dòrain, Beinn Mhanach

Date walked: 30/04/2011

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 31 km

Ascent: 2552m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

SAM_0499.JPG
Beinn Dorain

SAM_0500.JPG
Beinn Mhanach

SAM_0506.JPG
Views looking back climbing Beinn Mhanach,Ben Lui in background

SAM_0511.JPG
Next on the hit list, Beinn a'Chreachain

SAM_0510.JPG
Lawers and co.

SAM_0513.JPG
Bealach a' Chuirn looking back to summit of Beinn Mhanach

SAM_0520.JPG
From summit, to rannoch moor and beyond!

SAM_0521.JPG
Me ontop of 61st highest summit in Bonnie Scotland!

SAM_0523.JPG
Our targets laid out in a line from Beinn a'Chreachain

SAM_0525.JPG
Beinn Achaladair

SAM_0530.JPG
Loch Tulla, and beyond!

SAM_0538.JPG
Beinn an Dothaidh, from our shelter!

SAM_0544.JPG

SAM_0545.JPG
Unique cairn!Not a bad view either!

I
SAM_0552.JPG
4 of the 5 from the way up the 5th!

SAM_0553.JPG
dorain looking south towards tyndrum

SAM_0555.JPG
Dorain view, north eastish.

SAM_0559.JPG
On top of Dorain,relieved to say the least!

SAM_0567.JPG
This is how steep!

SAM_0563.JPG
Perfect photo op!

SAM_0568.JPG
The viaduct, creeping ever closer!
Last edited by tamw51 on Sun May 08, 2016 3:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tamw51
Rambler

Munros:155   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Re: The Slaying of Five Orchy's!

Postby monty » Sun May 01, 2011 1:04 pm

Thats a good report Tam.
Its also a long walk. Interesting start point at Auch farm then down the steep steep slope from Dorian at the end. I done these from The station following the normal way up Dorian then cross country to Mhanach. That last slope up to Dothaidh from the Beallach nearly finished me off.

Superb walk in the sun and wind with some excellent pictures. :D
monty

Postby tamw51 » Sun May 01, 2011 1:42 pm

Cheers monty, id checked yours out earlier too late for the walk tho. Starting from Auch farm was a reccomendation from big Ralph Stoer, although he did do it other way round.But i find a long walk back torcherous, so we mixed it up and did it our own way. was perfect except descent of Dorain, i didnt want to leave beinn mhanach til last either as its least shapely and plodding up grass slopes at end of day would be awful, i wud have sacked i i think! :lol: :lol:
tamw51
Rambler

Postby pollyh33 » Sun May 01, 2011 2:16 pm

Fantastic report and pictures!!!

I would definitely have cried like a girl in those conditions!!! :lol:

Hope you're getting pampered today!!

PS Hope you checked your hair and clothes for any rabbit droppings hitching a lift back east, yikes! :o
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby tamw51 » Sun May 01, 2011 3:33 pm

i was almost crying like a girl was something else the wind, but need to experience that kind of thing so you know how to deal with it!thanks for reading, shud giv it a bash!

pollyh33 wrote:Hope you're getting pampered today!!

I wish, nah im being allowed to relax whilst dearest cleans the flat!feet up out the way of the hoover, ahh! :D :D

pollyh33 wrote:PS Hope you checked your hair and clothes for any rabbit droppings hitching a lift back east, yikes! :o

bounced off my clothing, but as for the hair could be anything living in it! :lol: :lol:
tamw51
Rambler

Postby pollyh33 » Sun May 01, 2011 3:43 pm

No way, I'm doing a trek like that!!!

I climbed Beinn Dorainn (?spelling) a zillion years ago but I still remember it being hard work!! :lol:

I meant to ask, did you wear sunglasses?? (just thinking that it would keep the wind and stoor out of your eyes) 8)
pollyh33
Walker

Postby tamw51 » Sun May 01, 2011 3:48 pm

pollyh33 wrote:I meant to ask, did you wear sunglasses?? (just thinking that it would keep the wind and stoor out of your eyes) 8)

Good thinking,why didnt i think of that, i did have them in the car, but being a man i forgot about fashion when out on the hill, i did have my buff pulled up over my face, could kinda see where i was going!Next time sunglasses will come with me!cheers!Great hill dorain cracking views!
tamw51
Rambler

Postby pollyh33 » Sun May 01, 2011 3:53 pm

I always wear my sunglasses, especially if I'm running. Its difficult to look half decent with a big beetroot face and tears streaming down your face with all the dust!!!
pollyh33
Walker

Postby skuk007 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:06 pm

Wow, well done Tam, that's some trek, and to finish off with a descent like that.

I think walking past the descent route at the beginning would have spoiled it for me, I would have been worrying about it for the whole way round - but I've been told I worry too much. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby andyp » Sun May 01, 2011 9:39 pm

Epic trip and report - I could only manage two of this lot the other week. As for the final descent! I remember a couple of years ago doing WHW and watching some guys (I called them lunatics at the time :D ) trying to get down there.
andyp
Munro compleatist

Munros:261   Corbetts:16
Donalds:2

Postby Graeme D » Sun May 01, 2011 10:31 pm

I liked your recent Suilven report but this one tops it. Great stuff. Hoping to do Mhanach along with a couple of neighbouring Corbetts myself in the next few months.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Scotjamie » Sun May 01, 2011 11:29 pm

Thanks Tam
A very helpful report of a group I will be doing soon - helps me to decide definitely on a 4 + 1 strategy :D
And really enjoyable ...now that I've finished reading it, am needing to lie down
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby Steve B » Mon May 02, 2011 1:20 pm

Well done!!
I don't think my knees would stand that decent after the long day.

I was thinking of doing this with a sleep out in the middle of it but you now show it do-able in a day.

I was thinking of either up or down the ridge going northish of Dorian. Is that as steep? I realise it would be a longer walk in or out though.
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Postby tamw51 » Mon May 02, 2011 2:58 pm

skuk007 wrote:I think walking past the descent route at the beginning would have spoiled it for me, I would have been worrying about it for the whole way round

I was worried but then, i fear a long trek back it all about prefrences i suppose, and the descent altho painful would be over quicker than a mile slog! :)

andyp wrote:(I called them lunatics at the time :D
Yep sounds bout right, i felt like a lunatic! :lol:

Graeme Dewar wrote:I liked your recent Suilven report but this one tops it. Great stuff. Hoping to do Mhanach along with a couple of neighbouring Corbetts myself in the next few months.

Thanks very much Graeme, glad you enjoyed it, i kinda of enjoy writing them up good to hear somebody enjoys them ta, and enjoy it grat part of scotland! :D :D

Scotjamie wrote:A very helpful report of a group I will be doing soon - helps me to decide definitely on a 4 + 1 strategy :D

No probs just glad you read it, enjoy them, and take your time to enjoy the views was kinda hurried on by the unforgiving winds! :D :D

Steve B wrote:I was thinking of doing this with a sleep out in the middle of it but you now show it do-able in a day.

I was thinking of either up or down the ridge going northish of Dorian. Is that as steep? I realise it would be a longer walk in or out though.

Sleep in the middle would be braw, and why not would be a cracking place to wake up!From the bealach between the two that i came up it was nothing to steep, id say ordinary, and that was at the end of the day was glad to have a well worn track that was easy to follow!!Whatever you decide hope you have a nice clear day as the views are staggering pictures dont seem to do it justice! :D :D :D
tamw51
Rambler

Postby PeteR » Mon May 02, 2011 4:46 pm

Excellent report and stunning pictures. Sounds like a great day,despite the wind. I'm just glad I chose to do these hills in three bite size chunks :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland