walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Schiehallion - first solo walk

Schiehallion - first solo walk

Postby MiniRambo » Sat May 14, 2011 10:47 pm

Route description: Schiehallion

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 13/05/2011

Time taken: 3.35 hours

Distance: 6.6 km

Ascent: 777m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had booked holiday for Friday 13th May a couple of weeks earlier to allow for an attempt at climbing Ben More and Stob Binnien from the south with some family and friends. Unfortunately, as the day approached, for various reasons my companions cried-off and I was left with a decision - do I miss a day on the hills or do I tackle them on my own?

To some of you, the answer would be easy in any case as lone walking is the thing you are comfortable with, however, having always walked with others, enjoying their company and craick, it was a momentous decision to leave the house on my own on Friday morning.

In view of the showery nature of the weather more prevalent to the west of Scotland, and wanting to pick a relatively easy hill with a clear path, I changed the intended hills to that of Schiehallion.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I left Cumbria at 7.15am arrived at Braes of Foss at 11.00am. Booted up and sat in the car for a while until a shower passed by. Walking by 11.20am.

101_5816.JPG
View from the Braes of Foss car park

The path is fantastic, probably the best I have encountered to date, gradually climbing away from the car park at first before becoming a little steeper. I stopped frequently to look back at the height I had gained and take in the views across to Lock Tummel and beyond to the Pitlochry hills. I even got the odd glimpse through to, what I would presume to be the Cairngorms with more snow evident than on the closer hills.

101_5817.JPG
The path shortly after setting off

101_5820.JPG
View back to Loch Tummel

101_5824.JPG
First view of the Carn Mairg hills

I stopped for a drink and a snickers at the cairn on the shoulder of the hill, with the more daunting boulder field to be tackled next. The summit was clear of cloud and I was looking forward to the challenge ahead. It was about at this point that I began to meet some of the walkers who had already reached the top and were on their way back down. As I looked around, the surrounding areas were in and out of showers and as I neared the top I speeded up as it looked to be closing in.

101_5830.JPG
The path steepens

101_5831.JPG
MiniRambo on route!!

101_5833.JPG
A small marker cairn

101_5838.JPG
First view of the top

101_5840.JPG
Looking North East

101_5844.JPG
The boulder field

I managed to get there in time, my 38th Munro, to get a quick look at Loch Rannock before the cloud came in and it began to snow. Thankfully, just a very light shower and within 10 minutes I had views again. I had my sandwiches and stayed at the summit for about half an hour before dragging myself away, still taking in the views and hoping that the Lawers hills would clear of cloud. They did for a brief moment.

101_5849.JPG
At the top!!

101_5845.JPG
Loch Rannoch

101_5854.JPG
Loch Rannock again

101_5864.JPG
Looking North

101_5865.JPG
The view East

101_5871.JPG
The Lawers hills just in view

101_5872.JPG
The long and winding road!

Made good progress on the way back. I had been lucky to avoid a soaking for most of the walk, however my luck ran out and I was caught on the lower slopes. It didn't detract from a throughly enjoyable day and the freedom to go at my own pace when walking alone.

Finally, I must say it was good to have portaloos at the car park, it would be good to have more facilities like this where ever possible.
MiniRambo
Mountain Walker

Munros:52   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Schiehallion - first solo walk

Postby rockhopper » Sat May 14, 2011 10:55 pm

Great stuff MR - looks like you made the best of the weather that day :D

MiniRambo wrote:It didn't detract from a throughly enjoyable day and the freedom to go at my own pace when walking alone.
:thumbup: Now you've completed one solo you'll be able to compare the pros and cons...........loads of pros, just a few cons...... :lol:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby ChrisW » Sat May 14, 2011 11:51 pm

Nice one MR - always good to grab a day and get the reward for doing so - So which is it, lone walking / accompanied or both depending on mood? :think:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Sun May 15, 2011 12:07 am

Great post mate and well done on the first solo :) I think I would enjoy running up this hill, looks like a very gradual climb with some steep parts, Great for building fitness. Again, really well done :D
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Postby Del246 » Sun May 15, 2011 6:18 pm

Well done. I have recently started doing some walks on my own, mainly because I work shifts. This hill is on my solo list !! Good report and think I will try it soon weather permitting.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby MiniRambo » Sun May 15, 2011 9:30 pm

Thanks to you all for your kind comments. I still value walking with company, however must admit that the freedom side of walking alone was very appealing. Just as long as I can get the opportunity to get into the hills, I don't really care which it is! :D
MiniRambo
Mountain Walker

Munros:52   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:214   

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Mon May 16, 2011 1:17 am

MiniRambo wrote:Thanks to you all for your kind comments. I still value walking with company, however must admit that the freedom side of walking alone was very appealing. Just as long as I can get the opportunity to get into the hills, I don't really care which it is! :D

Although I can only go solo around about my parts as my dads the driver, I still really enjoy the sense of freedom it gives you. Will be going North all alone this year aswell :)
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland