walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Number 1 at long last

Number 1 at long last

Postby porty » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:40 pm

Route description: Mount Keen from Glen Esk

Munros included on this walk: Mount Keen

Date walked: 27/05/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

About 10 years ago I thought I'd take up hillwalking and maybe bag a Munro or two.

About 8 years ago I bought a pair of decent boots. These boots turned out to be great, but were only ever used for clearing the path on a snowy day.

About a month ago I was at a loose end and, living in Aberdeenshire, went for a walk up Mither Tap at Bennachie and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I did it again the following week then decided it was time to ramp it up a little and look into getting up a Munro or two.

After a little research I found this excellent website and was pleased to find a Munro, Mount Keen, was only about an hours drive from home.

The date was set. Tuesday 24 May.

On Monday 23 May I saw the weather forecast for the following day to be for 70mph winds at Munro level. I'm not that keen.

That Friday, at long last, I headed down the A90 and found my way to the car park at Invermark. The weather was fine and dry with a fair amount of blue sky around.

I set off into the relative unknown and was pleased to find the signposts I'd seen in previous reports to still be in place and pointing me in the right direction.

Photo0405.jpg
On the right track.

As I approached the Queens Well the climb ahead of me was easy to see as it snaked up the hill beyond.

Photo0417.jpg
The climb ahead.

Before my upcoming effort I had a quick bite to eat at the nicely placed picnic table outside Invermark Cottage (thank you cottage owners) then set off to immediately have to carefully cross the burn by the available stepping stones. I felt like a kid again.

Photo0426.jpg
Don't fall. Don't fall. Don't fall.

Not being used to this type of walk I stopped regularly for breath and a drink but soldiered on determined to reach my goal. I kept moving but felt like I wasn't getting any closer to the summit until the final right turn at the cairn.

Photo0433.jpg
Is it getting any closer?

I was delighted when I eventually got to the summit. My first Munro (I'm not counting the one I did at school because I've no idea which one it was).

Photo0450.jpg
At last.

I took in the views and after a short seat in the wee shelter I headed back down the way I came. As I did this I met the first folk I'd seen all day, a couple of small groups heading up the way. A quick hello and I kept descending marvelling at the views as I did so.

Photo0473.jpg
Back along the Glen.

It was a great day out and I'm hoping to bag a few more Munro's in the months and years to come.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

porty
Mountain Walker

Munros:21   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Number 1 at long last

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:46 am

Congrats - hope you climb a few more in the next 10 years :D
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby skuk007 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:55 am

Excellent porty, well done on grabbing your first Munro :clap: No stopping you now.
Had to laugh at you buying boots 8 years ago and then using them for their intended purpose just 95 months later. :lol:

Good first choice, what is next on your radar?
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby porty » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:37 pm

Paul Webster wrote:Congrats - hope you climb a few more in the next 10 years :D

Thanks Paul but I was thinking more in the region of about 20 years to spread out the exercise (and effort) a little.

skuk007 wrote:Excellent porty, well done on grabbing your first Munro :clap: No stopping you now.
Had to laugh at you buying boots 8 years ago and then using them for their intended purpose just 95 months later. :lol:

Good first choice, what is next on your radar?

Cheers skuk. The boots have walked more miles in the last fortnight than in those previous 95 months. Since Keen I've also walked Mayar, Driesh, Broad Cairn and Cairn Bannoch. Hoping for Lochnagar soon. Does that mean I'm hooked?
porty
Mountain Walker

Munros:21   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland