walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

lurg Mhor

lurg Mhor

Postby bigbertie » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:29 am

Munros included on this walk: Bidein a' Choire Sheasgaich, Lurg Mhòr

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Tharsuinn

Date walked: 24/06/2009

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

At the end of the sixties when I had just discovered Munros I moved from Northumberland to London to start a new job. I was soon pining for the Highlands and bought some half inch maps of the northern highlands to pore over in the evening. There were mountains everywhere - would I ever visit even a few of them? Lurg Mhor looked particularly lonely, and I couldn't even find a picture of it (there were no Munro guidebooks in those days, and Poucher didn't cover it). Over the years I climbed nearly every other hill in the area and even visited the Bearnais bothy, but not Lurg Mhor.
I hatched all sorts of plans to bag it - bothy trips, camping, long-distance treks and even snow-holing. But until this year it evaded me.

100_0028 web.jpg
Lonely Lurg Mhor - centre beyond the loch.

Fast forward to 2009 and I am camping in Torridon with 2 visitors from New Zealand doing a west coast trip which included classic hills like the Saddle and An Teallach. The weather is good - suddenly the idea strikes - why not Lurg Mhor? We have a lazy afternoon and go to bed early - then up at 4.30am. The midges are horrific so we leap into the car in record time and set off for Glen Carron, stopping in a midge-free layby to make our sandwiches, before parking at Craig and heading off up .... what is that glen called? .... to the wire bridge which gives access to the path to the Bealach Bearnais. The river was down so we didn't have to brave the wire bridge. Several walkers were camped at the bridge and were just getting out of their tents as we passed. So up to the bealach and on to Beinn Tharsuinn - just a Corbett but a nice hill in its own right. Great views of Bidean a'Choire Sheasgaich start appearing.

100_0096 web.jpg
Bidean a Choire Sheasgaich appears

100_0097 web.jpg
Bidean a Choire Sheasgaich

The path takes a devious line through crags on the big shoulder of Sheasgaich (see upper picture above) - the start is easily located by a stone wall on the bealach but it could be harder to follow higher up in poor visibility, especially on a descent. The going is steep at times and there are a few loose rocks to watch for.

100_0098 web.jpg
the path gets steep

100_0100 web.jpg
the stone wall is visible below

Sheasgaich is an attractive hill with some little lochans and a pointed summit, but after a quick look at the view we pushed on for the ultimate target. My long-time fascination with Lurg Mhor surfaced and my pace quickened as we neared the summit. The top itself is not particularly interesting but the location and views are fabulous. We wandered round absorbing it all for a while.

100_0104 web.jpg
Summit of Lurg Mhor

100_0106 web.jpg
Mission accomplished

The nearby "top" of Meall Mhor is attached by rocky ridge with some scrambling, so we had to knock that off too.

100_0108 web.jpg
Ridge to Meall Mhor

100_0110 web.jpg
Looking back towards Lurg Mhor summit

100_0112 web.jpg
Nearing Meall Mhor

Reaching Meall Mhor seemed almost more important than reaching Lurg Mhor itself - it was the end of the line. The weather was beautiful and we hung around there for abour half and hour - it was just amazing to be there. My friends seemed to enjoy the experience, judging from their antics.................(well they are from New Zealand).

100_0117 web.jpg
Celebrations on Meall Mhor

Then back over Lurg Mhor (meeting a walker who had come up from Attadale and another who had canoed up Loch Monar) and back via a rather tedious flanking route along the side of Beinn Tharsuinn. We stopped at the Ledgowan Lodge for some food and a celebratory drink - then back to Torridon. A fantastic day but also mixed emotions - I felt as though a part of my life had been crossed off. I know the remedy. Plan another trip.
bigbertie

Re: lurg Mhor

Postby kevsbald » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:34 am

AAAAAUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby maddjock » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:17 pm

nice report and great last photo... :D
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Postby mountain coward » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:33 am

That climb up the shoulder of Sheasgaich looks positively evil - no doubt I'll be having to find a nice, grassy but much longer coward's route round it!! There must be one somewhere! I work with Kiwis by the way (courtesy of us having a NZ computer system) - they don't normally sit upside down!;-)
mountain coward

Postby bigbertie » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:05 am

Mountain C, come up from Attadale instead (see the walkhighlands route) - that comes up the south side.
bigbertie

Postby mountain coward » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:31 am

Great - another avoidable horror. I'll do just that! Hadn't read the route yet as I'm quite a way off getting to that area yet...
mountain coward

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland