walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First one - Schiehallion

First one - Schiehallion

Postby MarilynMunro » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:26 am

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 11/06/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 730m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Maybe folks are bit fed up hearing about this one, so I'll keep it short. Followed the prescribed route from Braes of Foss to top and back again on a cracking day, extra layers on and off a bit but ultimately short sleeves for most of the day and a bright red beak for good measure, least it's better than a golfers tan(apologies to the tattie bashers).
Had company with Deek and Alan, if you're reading this guys thanks for the craic, enjoy your mountain biking when you get back to it. Had good vis for most of the day and nice little picnic on top, highlighted by some guy and his dog coming up over the top the hard way, that was a surprise to see a head poke up over the edga just as I was tucking into my hobnob and tea.
Must admit didn't know what to expect on the way up but the boulder field certainly got the calves and knees warmed up, all in all it was a good day and nice way to open my account, anybody else out there thinking of getting out and about could do worse than choose this first. I have no idea how many times Ive looked at this hill in the past and thought what a sight.

Up and down in 4 hours, which I thought was good.

On a note of sorrow, on my way home I got caught up in the delays at Ballinluig due to the tragic accident on the A9, north of Dunkeld my thoughts go out to that womans family, and a word of caution to all who use our sometimes dangerous roads, please slow down, nothing is that important and take care out there.
Slainte
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Re: First one - Schiehallion

Postby monty » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:19 am

Well done MM,
Its good to get a munro under your belt. The first of many. Take a camera and post some pictures next one. :D
monty

Postby ChrisW » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:31 am

Well done MM, congratulations on your first munro - hope its the first of many :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby rockhopper » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:24 pm

congratulations mm, that's you started now :thumbup: interesting avatar btw 8)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby MarilynMunro » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:26 pm

Cheers folks, really appreciate the welcome.
Dunno about the piccies I'm no David Bailey
As for the avatar, the penny dropped when I walked up that hill just too walk down again that you need a sense of humour tee hee.
And yes Chris I hope it is the first of many. When I did the WHW at the start of May and saw BEM for the first time (not from a car window) I knew I wanted too see more of this, the real Big Country. When I get home I'm thinking about BEM or Beiin a'Ghlo, not sure if I'm chewing off more than I can cope with BEM.
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Postby lomondwalkers » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:01 pm

Great hill to start with MM 8) Only 282 to go now!! Know what you mean about BEM, I have to get me up there asap, beautiful mountain!!
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:21 pm

Well done on bagging your 1st munro MM.

MarilynMunro wrote: When I get home I'm thinking about BEM or Beiin a'Ghlo, not sure if I'm chewing off more than I can cope with BEM.

Thats a big step up from Schiehallion MM.not by any stretch of the imagination am I saying you are not able of climbing anyone of these hills,and on a fine summers day the" Big Boakil" will be busy with a fine path,as for Beinn "a" Ghlo this also is a fine walk,but if the clag comes down navigation can be really trickey with no fewer than 19 corries on this ridge,and also a big hike back to your car at the end.Anyway looking forward to reading your next post & maybe seeing some photies also wherever you may end up.

PS luv the avatar :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby MarilynMunro » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:39 pm

Gammy....
Just what I was looking for a bit of informed advice, you can look at so many reports and books and think it is within your capabilities, but I m too long in the tooth not to ask for advice. I can read map but not to clever with a compass yet, hoping to get a course in pronto. Do you think I should lower my horizons a bit, if so do recommend some targets within a couple hours drive of the central belt. Cheers in advance
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:58 pm

You could try Ben Chonzie near Comrie,or Ben Lomond,always busy,or try the "Wee Boakil"in Glencoe where on a good day the views over to the Big Boakil,Bidean & Aonach Eagach,& down Glen Etive are a site to see,where Loch Etive & Ben Starav are nothing short of sensational if you walk past the summit of Stob Dubh to its smaller top further along the ridge.
PS there is now a new path constructed from the carpark up to the bealach between Stob Dubh & Stob Coire Raineach,that makes for fairly easy going,best of luck no matter where you go. :)
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby MarilynMunro » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:01 pm

Gammy....
Think it might be the Wee Boakil, you tease you. Read Houdi's report on Ben Chonzie and walked in to a right storm ha ha, so maybe save that for another day, the wee boakil and that whole area really appeals to me, hope fully get some clear weather, try and get my son to come up with me.
By the WAY congrats on your day in the clouds (AE), that looked like some scary stuff, would love to think one day....
Cheers
MM
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Postby cheekykarma » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:28 pm

Congrats

I hope to do this one soon - I love the look os Schiehallion and really I dont think anyone can get bored of it - it looks gorgeous - and is bizarre in that on a clear day you see it from almost anywhere!

:)
cheekykarma
Mountaineer

Munros:44   Corbetts:17
Fionas:6   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:9   

Postby MarilynMunro » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:43 pm

Cheers Cheeky !!
I know what you mean it appears to be at the foot of everyones garden, must be those pesky fairies eh. Word to the wise beware the boulder field its a doozie
MM
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Postby Graeme D » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:23 pm

Now there's a name for a forum such as this! :lol: Any chance there's a Donald Graham Corbett out there too??? :lol:

Schiehallion was my first one too! Join the club! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:50 pm

Smashing first report MM. Looking forward to seeing you out on the hills- at least you'll be easy to spot in your floaty white dress. A bit of glamour on the mountains, just what we need :lol: :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Graeme D » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:59 pm

pollyh33 wrote:at least you'll be easy to spot in your floaty white dress. A bit of glamour on the mountains, just what we need

I dunno - that could just as easily be Caberfeidh! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland