walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

It was very sunny and I ain't Lyon.....

It was very sunny and I ain't Lyon.....

Postby Gable Gable End » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:26 pm

Route description: Càrn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Càrn Mairg & Creag Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm, Càrn Mairg, Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean), Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg)

Date walked: 03/07/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1395m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I’ve been meaning to get around the Glen Lyon horseshoe ever since I started talking in the hills, as I have often spent the majority of my time in Glen Lyon gazing at the great scenery when I should be keeping my eyes on the road :?
By most accounts it’s a round of 4 “featureless lumps” over 18k and you can see by the user ratings on WH that they aren’t as well regarded as others. I’ve always changed plans upon poor weather as I have been quite keen to do these in nice conditions as the round does seem have some great views north and West. The forecast was looking good for Today and I got in the car and headed the 90 miles or so to Glen Lyon in glorious blue skies with the odd bit of cloud. :D

I set off at 10.30 from Invervar after managing to squeeze my car into a non space at the Car Park behind the telephone box. I crossed the main road and went through the 1st gate and the 2nd gate at the start of the trees. The waterfalls alongside the track seemed inviting and I had half an idea to drop back on my way back. I followed the WH route by head up out of the forest and into the Glen .....
Heading up the glen.jpg

At this point, rather than heading up the knoll / ridge of Carn Gorm; I simply followed the path which follows the Invervar Burn and was followed by a very noisy sheep who obviously didn’t approve.
Diff Route.jpg

From here is was a short pull up onto the ridge and the track before the first steep riser to Carn Gorm; there was a nice view which opened up at this point looking back along the road that I travelled to get to Invervar.
Glen Lyon.jpg

At this point the sun was baking and I was already streaming with sweat and attracting a large amount of flying insects; thankfully there was a very small breeze to keep the midge at bay. From here I met a couple who did the same route as me and we headed up the final pull to the summit of Carn Gorm. Good views opened out to the Lawers range, Crianlarich peaks, Schiehallion (doesn’t every summit?) and a large length of Loch Rannoch.
Gorm Rannoch.jpg

I stuck around for 5 mins or so before descending down to the col, I bypassed An Sgorr as I didn’t fancy any extra ascent/descent as I stupidly forgot my walking poles (twice in a row!). Very quickly I was ascending the fencepost assisted pull to the ugly summit of Meall Garbh; maybe someone should arrange for a notice to ask all walkers to take 1 or 2 of those old fence posts down from the summit as it’s a bloody eyesore. Other than the rotten summit cairn; the views were quite nice here and I spent ten mins soaking in the sun and rehydrating.
Horrid Summit.jpg
FENCEPOST AIDS

From here it’s a case of following fenceposts up the col to Meal a' Bharr and following the ridge along with the craggy arm of Carn Mairg becoming more prominent with every footstep. A quick hop across the boulders and stone before reaching the summit; from here I headed over the Tor to soak in some more sun and the nice view along the back edge of the Lawers range and road.
Nice Summit.jpg
thats a bit more like it......

Lawers.jpg
Ben Lawers and the road up the side.....

There is a reasonably steep descent from here and I could feel the tendon in my ankle starting to play up as I headed south east down to the deep col; here I stopped for 5 minutes to rehydrate and air my feet (which were beginning to waft a putrid smell upwards whilst walking!). Feet aired and dry; it was time to get moving again and I headed up the col and across to the 4th Munro of the day: Creag Mhor. I met another couple here and I think they were pleased to find out they were on the summit despite their GPS attempting to send them East to one of the lower tops as a summit; adding another 250 metres ascent and probably another 4k on the journey! I sat for around here 10-15 mins or so; quick sandwich, some water, a few text messages and a cheesy summit shot.
Eejit Alert.jpg
Schiehallion.jpg
Shapeshifting Mountain seemingly visible from everywhere

At this point I could feel I had absorbed a lot of sun throughout the walk and made sure I had plenty of water before descending down towards Invervar. I headed over the top which had far better views of the Glen and the Lawers range before cutting across to the ridge along the less steep descent to Invervar. The descent was baking hot and my ankle tendon was really starting to ache; it was here that I really missed my walking poles (I never even used the things 4 months ago!). From here the path joined up with the woods and I headed in towards the waterfalls I clocked earlier on in the walk. Shoes off and feet (and ankle!) in; absolute bliss! All that was missing here was a cool beer and Monty on the guitar ;)
Water.jpg
point and shoot i'm afraid
Feeeeeeeeeeet Coooooooold.jpg
Bliss; sorry for the nudity ;)

After 10 mins or so in the water, I donned my socks and headed back down the track and to the car park at Invervar for 3.30pm with a total journey time of 5 hours car to car; which does seem to be a lot shorter than the suggested timescales.

It was a bizarre sensation to be out walking in baking heat and if I am honest; I felt myself overheating on a number of occasions throughout the walk; regardless of this, it was a fine day out. I’d much rather work the heat than the usual clag :D

After what seems like a long time; I am now starting to understanding the “bagging” thing and why people do it. For a good few years I have always enjoyed being out and I have been a fair weather / wanderer type and I wasn’t really determined to exert myself for the sake of it; however, I am beginning to think that this may be changing. I blame Monty, WeeMisterMac and Stretch....... :roll:
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Re: It was very sunny and I ain't Lyon.....

Postby Stretch » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:04 pm

Everybody blames the American :lol:

What a fine day you had Stu, save some of that fine weather for when I get back in August will ya.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:14 pm

Loved your report GGE,
Is it really as straightforward as you made it sound? Or are you one of these lucky people who can eat up hills without too much effort???? :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby dooterbang » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:32 pm

Great time for 18k.

No guitar at the summit, i'm sure if you whipped it out Monty would appear :shock:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Gable Gable End » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:42 pm

Stretch: we could save all of the finest weather going until you came back and it would STILL clag/rain....

Polly: This round is pretty much path all of the way, it's a bit of a pull up to Carn Gorm but reasonably straightforward from there. I'm certainly not a chomper, i'm still new to this game. I would say I prefer to get the crappy bit out of the way as quickly as possible and I always try to plan my pre walking eats and a route to get my second wind before the first major pull :) From what I can see of your routes, you will have no probs!

Doots: Twas actually 17k according the my route planner; I didn't really stop much and there were no navigational errors to contend with (which is the norm!). My descent was quick and as painless as possible too i.e. I hoppped down at various points. Thankfully no guitar; I think I embarrassed myself enough last week ;)

It was actually 5 hours and 3 mins to be precise
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Postby chickadee » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:39 am

I LOVE Glen Lyon, and this is a route I must do one day... Great weather though I did wonder how people would be coping on the hills, I went for a wee walk today and that sun was really roasting.
chickadee
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:19 am

Summer at last eh!!

I wouldn't dare put a pic of my feet on here :sick:
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby monty » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:48 am

Nice one GGE,
Some lovely pictures of err, em, ah, the sunshine cause these are the most boring hills in Scotland :lol: :lol: :lol:

"It was actually 5 hours and 3 mins to be precise" not bad for a lead guitarist :D
monty

Postby old danensian » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:40 pm

Thanks for this one Stuart - pics are great and the route detail really useful. I'm heading back up tomorrow and had this planned for Wednesday, although it doesn't look like I'll be enjoying the weather you had - but if these hills are as dull as some folks make out then the challenge of doing them in the clag / rain may compensate.

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby mountainstar » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:13 pm

Sorry Stu, but your not a proper bagger yet, tough mountaineering baggers do NOT sunbathe!
By the way your title for this is "almost" as bad as Monty's jokes :lol:
Anyway, it was a great day for walking, even if a bit hot.
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby kinley » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:18 pm

Summer? Not seen that for a while :?

Good stuff - these hills are under-rated by some. Looks a great day 8)
kinley

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:47 pm

Nice one Stu,looks as if you had some fine weather,these 4 hills are underated,but offer some fine views when the weather is grand.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:31 pm

Thanks for the encouragement GGE. I'd be super chuffed with myself if I performed half as well as you did :D :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:33 pm

Looks a grand day Stu - did these in similar heat in April and sweated my way up the first munro.

Am I the only person who thought "FENCEPOST AIDS" sounds like a rather nasty affliction picked up through over-friendly interaction with said posts :oops: :oops: ...
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Gable Gable End » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:23 pm

LeithySuburbs wrote:Am I the only person who thought "FENCEPOST AIDS" sounds like a rather nasty affliction picked up through over-friendly interaction with said posts :oops: :oops: ...

I was going for that angle :)
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland