walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

schiehallion ,to the summit and back..

schiehallion ,to the summit and back..

Postby get out and climb » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:29 pm

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 04/07/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 753m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is only the second report i've written so i hope im getting better at this (so please bare with me ). We left aberdeen in good spirits and looking forward to the few days camping and hiking.....
Arrived at braes of foss carpark around 12 noon in a well packed well stocked car :? and began our first hike around 12.30 Diane (wife) Kevin (son) & jessie (the jack russel) the weather was fine and sunny but not to hot but that didnt stop us from sweating for a bit till we got used to the ascent but jessie was well ahead after deciding to chase the sheep from around an old ruin (a thing to bare in mind if your taking your dog with you).
IMAG0009.JPG

The going was slow to start with with Diane needing to rest up a few more times as she's not used to theese walks but doing well anyway. Jessie was still way ahead and looked impatient at our pace
IMAG0028.JPG
always stopping to look round at us .
We were all glad when we reached the level section of the route but the wind did increase a bit which was a welcome way to cool down
Even though the level section is ?? level ?? its very stony and makes walking more akward which wasnt helpfull as i was breaking in a new pair of boots :(
At about 800m we stopped at a wall like cairn for some hot chocolate and munchiesfor 10 mins (a good place if your wanting to get out of the weather )
IMAG0017.JPG
but Jessie was still keen and ready to carry on so with a moan and a groan we set off even mor determined than ever and after a series of rocky shelves and fancy footwork from Jessie we reached the summit and took in the views which were great all round .
after a 20 min sit down we decided to make our descent which was still akward over the stony surface but diane managed to take her mind of it by listening to her i-pod and singing along to atomic kitten . And when we got to the path and steps we only stopped once or twice and made good time which was great as my new boots were getting a bit to much for my feet .We found an excellent free wild campsite 10 mins of a drive west of the braes of foss the layby is on the right hand side of the road but look to the left for a small alcove quarry area which is well sheltered and flat ,by the looks of it it has been used a few times by others but is great if your staying in the area
IMAG0037.JPG
Attachments
IMAG0015.JPG
get out and climb
Rambler

Munros:36   
Sub 2000:4   

Re: schiehallion ,to the summit and back..

Postby skuk007 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:54 am

Well done all of you for getting to the top, hopefully it'll inspire them to get out and join you on more walks. :)
Those pesky dogs, always too much energy on the hills, they don't understand us humans and our need for regular rests!

Nice to see what the weather will be like on 1st October by the way. :lol:
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby csimbad » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:16 pm

Good stuff, looks like you had a good day.
Welldone :thumbup:
csimbad
Munro compleatist

Munros:193   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby bushcraft2 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:04 pm

I'v attemped Schiehallion a few times but never completed it. It's mostly been because of bad weather conditions.
bushcraft2
Munro compleatist

Munros:4   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland