walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Mhanach

Beinn Mhanach

Postby cheekykarma » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:47 pm

Route description: Beinn Mhanach

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Mhanach

Date walked: 09/07/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 819m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn Mhanach, there and back again...

Now as always do not use these gps points this is a rough very rough route guide to show the way we took.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We arrived and began walking about 9 50 ish AM. All set for a long walk to the start of the ascent of Beinn Mhanach. And again under the pending possible doom of the previous nights weather reports. I was packed for waterproofs and my sunscreen was disregarded at home in the hallway under the view of, yeah right! Sunglasses! Pah!

Waterproofs, spare clothes, food drink. And for the first time for me, a flask! A newly bought lifeventure little 500ml and a brand new pair of Scarpa Terra GTX boots to try out...

IMG_2276.JPG
View from the road start point

First off this route parks on the main road. Yes that main road with maniacs going past at 80mph! There is room for maybe 4 or 5 cars and it is tight to the road. So of course careful unloading.

First pic shows our path of travel between those hills and under that wee rail bridge in the distance.

Start off is a long but real easy walk in. Construction and farm site path and onto an atv track.

IMG_2280.JPG
Starting path once off the main road

IMG_2281.JPG
I thought this was just for us, there was indeed 5 of us today

Reaching the bridge there is still a long long walk ahead and Beinn Mhanach is in view.

IMG_2284.JPG
The rail bridge and Beinn Mhanach in view, far away

You cross many streams. And most have good stepping stones to cross over. But a few can be deep and I imagine at certain times - very fast and deep. Good new boot test though. No major slippage on wet rocks. No wet feet. Nice grip. Nice comfort. My new boots and me were getting on great and that song these boots were made for walking was starting to get louder...

After a long walk on the track it was time for a cuppa and a break before the steep ascent.
And sadly I was like the first man on earth to discover the flask! My coffee I expected to be luke warm and ok, I poured my little cup out and was shocked that it was still as hot as it was at 6 45 this morning!

IMG_2288.JPG
Rock with a view - Beinn Dorain I believe

There is no path and there really is many ways you could ascend this very big hill. It is no doubt on the bland list as far as munros go. Its a big plain old hil. Steep grassy slopes run along side the natural cut paths of the streams. Ascending straight up is hard on the legs like a constant staircase. Zig zagging a little finding the natural sheep paths helps but really straight up and then across toward the summit is the plain old way. As you do ascend though the views are great on a good day.

And that is just what met us today. I have red arms and a red face. I caught the sun. We were treated to a sunny day, a windy and cool summit, and about a 15 minute light shower passed over us on the return.

IMG_2291.JPG
My boots happy and smiling at their first walk, and what a long way so far..

IMG_2296.JPG
I did it! yay!

As you approach the summit the grassy slopes show more and more rock sticking out. It never reaches scree though and then you see the cairn. Its a large flat rocky summit offering good views all round. You could set a campsite up here too.

Every munro has something quirky on the travels though, and on the way back down I took more photos of things I noticed on the path in.

IMG_2304.JPG
Beinn Dorain looking moody with a little rain

IMG_2307.JPG
Even the sheep took shade today

IMG_2308.JPG
Train! On the bridge! On the bridge for trains...

And on the way there is a construction site. These are the machines that make munros and corbetts I believe.

I find it a contrast in such splendid areas to find such mechanical displays. Makes them look more mechanical almost.

IMG_2310.JPG

IMG_2311.JPG

IMG_2312.JPG

IMG_2313.JPG
I love this notice

This last one I loved the notice. Surely if you are that close to read that notice, and the driver is in there, you are in a spot of bother!

Finally .....

A little video of the summit itself. This is a good long walk. And no its not the most exciting, scrambling, or daunting of munros. But for me. I would be happy to walk this fellow again. A very sunny, pleasant, and enjoyable number seven for me.

:)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKMtJAJxJuQ[/youtube]
cheekykarma
Mountaineer

Munros:44   Corbetts:17
Fionas:6   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:9   

Re: Beinn Mhanach

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:14 am

good walk that one - well done :D brings back memories - this is one group of hills which I'll never forget :shh:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland