walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Old Man, Red Hill and the Peak of the Fingalians

The Old Man, Red Hill and the Peak of the Fingalians

Postby soulminer » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:37 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Sgòrr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach)

Date walked: 14/07/2011

Time taken: 7.5 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I have had this pencilled in for a return for ages. So, Kev and I had to arrange time off on the same day, both in the same Dept- I'm on holibags and he had scheduled day, Bingo !
Picked him up at 0545 in Johnstone, arrived at car park 0730. Seemed to be something going on at Jimmy's hoose, police there when we arrived- fire brigade when we came down !
Started off up towards Am Bodach in fine sunshine, weather report was good till afternoon,then turning cloudier :(
Views stunning as usual, Kev seemed to be enjoying the sights as we climbed steadily along the fine path. Am Bodach reached and it was looking good for the ridge today :)

IMGP0169 by BoydBlair, on Flickr
The Chancellor inviting us over

IMGP0171 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0175 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0177 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Kev was slightly in awe of the place, but relishing the thought of todays efforts. After the 'detour' we set off along to the 'drop off' point behind Am Bodach. easily negotiated but with a little- :wtf: - for Kev! Par for the course as they say.
The sky seemed to be losing it light blue colour in favour of grey as we approached the first Munro.

IMGP0179 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

A wee look back

IMGP0182 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

This was to be the pattern for the rest of the day, cloud and sun- but very clammy !!

Kev on his 11th Munro

IMGP0183 by BoydBlair, on Flickr
What he was letting himself in for :lol:

IMGP0184 by BoydBlair, on Flickr]

The fun bit ahead, a pleasant stroll with a smidgen of scrambling, just can't beat it :) It wasn't long before the next little scamble appeared before us. Kev asks if we go up or round ? The answer is pretty obvious 8) Will I go first- Yes, he says.

IMGP0103 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0187 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Up and over and time for a little hydration break, had quite a few throughout the day :)

A lovely place to sit and admire the scenery

IMGP0195 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

The sun had made another appearance and brightened the route before us. A climb over the pinnacles and refreshment on Stob Coire Leith.

Ahead of us first

IMGP0198 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0200 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0202 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

On the way over, just before the 'Craziest' pinnacle we met our first fellow traveller of the day. Just before the drop down to the by-pass pathe on the right we mmet travellers 2,3 and 4, the 4th being a black Labrador :shock:
''Will we be able to get wur dug over the rest, or wull we hiv tae go back ? ''
What could I say, damned if I do ........., try the by-pass path if you think You can make it then good luck to you all. Stay safe. Waved and left, not what I was expecting to see on 'The Notched Ridge' :?
Over and down the other side, another small rise and SCL for a break.

A look back

IMGP0203 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Just before we left a couple of figures appeared silhouetted against the sky and we were both sure one had four legs!!

Some views of gathering cloud

IMGP0204 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0209 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0212 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

We pushed on to the 12th of Kevs munros,but didn't linger for long as we thought the rain may make an appearance.Judge for yourself.

IMGP0213 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Made our way back down to our opt out path and decended the scree till we reached the grass far below, then the car park- for the long walk back to the car

The route down

IMGP0218 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

A few Ridge pics I could't resist

IMGP0217 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0220 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0221 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Across the road

IMGP0222 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Last pic of the day

IMGP0223 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

All in all a cracker of a day out, weather held-no rain :D Kev adds two to his tally, and you all get to share it with us. Cheers
soulminer

Re: The Old Man, Red Hill and the Peak of the Fingalians

Postby rockhopper » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:38 pm

You certainly had a great day out there. :D Haven't got as far as this yet and will need to change from my usual solo when (and if) I do. Some helpful photos to show what's to come. 8)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby soulminer » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:30 am

I'm sure you will be on the Ridge at some time, it will draw you in :twisted: :lol: as it has done with many
soulminer

Postby steven671 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:11 am

hi,good picture`s,we had lots like that including being out on the chancellor,wish you had taken some of us :( ,think we will have to take jet back over for another walk,should be pee easy next time for him :lol:
steven671
Mountaineer

Munros:26   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland