walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sunny Sunday Glen Lyon Circuit

Sunny Sunday Glen Lyon Circuit

Postby Frogwell » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:50 am

Route description: Càrn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Càrn Mairg & Creag Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm, Càrn Mairg, Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean), Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg)

Date walked: 25/07/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 19.31 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For the most part I don't like doing long walks in the summer due to the muggy heat, midges, flies and swarms of tourists. Sunday however, arrived with a decent amount of wind which was forecast to last the rest of the day, which would take care of the heat, midges and flies. Just to find a route that would not be over booked with bus loads of tourists then. I figured Glen Lyon would be out of the way enough to at least be relatively quiet. I was right, plus arriving late morning meant the crowds of crowd avoiding early arrivers had already arrived early to avoid the crowds, so it was just me and one other guy following on behind, who overtook me between the first and second munro.

I wasn't expecting much from this circuit, my last Glen Lyon walk had been a little on the mediocre side and I'd never heard anyone rave about this one either. I was pleasantly surprised, and I don't think it was just due to the low expectations - it's genuinely a nice walk. Not as dramatic as some maybe, no real take your breath away views, but definitely one I'd recommend.

The sun was a bit harsh for any decent photography, although the filters did their best to compensate. Here's a few snaps anyway.

Must get windy up there then :)

Harsh conditions stunt the growth of this fence tree.

Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Munros:265   Corbetts:100
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Sunny Sunday Glen Lyon Circuit

Postby monty » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:24 am

Hi Frogwell.
Not the most scenic round I have ever done but your selection of photos look excellent. Great weather too with the sun and the wind. :D
monty

Postby sloosh » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:47 am

Great pics, mate. :thumbup:
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby ronofcam » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:01 pm

Frogwell, what sort of camera and lens do you use?
ronofcam
Mountain Walker

Munros:174   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Frogwell » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:39 pm

Thanks for the comments :)

ronofcam wrote:Frogwell, what sort of camera and lens do you use?

A Nikon D90 with the Nikon 18-105mm lens. I also used a circular polarising and neutral density graduated filter on all these pictures.
Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Munros:265   Corbetts:100
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland