walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mount Fuji

Mount Fuji

Postby gordon l » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:26 pm

Date walked: 26/07/2011

Time taken: 12

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We were five pilgrims amongst thousands undergoing our skywards rite of passage under the cover of darkness. The Yoshidaguchu Trail lit by a fat July full moon and the headtorches of the faithful was our pathway to the stars, to Fuji-san, Japan's sacred mountain.
037.JPG
Over 12,000 feet high, this majestic mistress totally dominates the landscape around, her magnetic allure enough to draw more than 100,000 hikers of all ages, experiences and fitness levels from start to summit every year. We were taking the classic approach: a hike in darkness to watch the sun rise from Fuji's peak.
002.JPG

The coach trip from Shinjuki to Fuji's 5th station starting point was a serene one, Tokyo's buzz fading to a countryside calm as the time passed by. In just over 2 hours we were there, winding up on a vertiginous avenue that cut its way through the forest that carpets Fuji's foothills. According to Reiko, this is the suicide forest: a dense wilderness where people who have lost their way come to die; they come to hang themselves in a place where they cannot be found; where compasses do not work; where they enter knowing they will not, cannot leave.
048.JPG

5 on fuji.jpg

We drew into the 5th station carpark at around 8pm, dusk painting a breathtaking canvas of colour across the western sky. Mushrooming clouds of burnt oranges and fiery crimsons collided and funnelled between heavier banks of dense cotton wool cumulus.
098.JPG
Far beneath this airy ocean lay Lakes Kamaguchi and Yamanaka and beyond, to the north-east, a city's lights were being switched on, an inverted electric constellation as darkness fell.
We had 2 hours to fill before our pilgrimage could begin. It was a strange period of time where our urge to climb, to keep moving as the temperature dropped and the clock moved on had to be balanced and beaten by the knowledge that an early start would mean making the peak before sunrise, negating the entire purpose of our night hike. So we waited and we watched. Doug, Robin, Yuki, Reiko and I made an eclectic team, setting up our own little base camp to mark out the minutes in our own ways.
225.JPG
Of course, we were not alone. Before we set off, I watched scores of hiking parties gather, chatter, stretch and sleep together. They come in their droves to ascend Fuji-San wearing dazzlingly, dizzingly garish clothes. This is a mountain to dress up for. It is a peak where polka dots, stripes and bright, bright colours converge. Fuji is an explosion of clashing fashions.
Doug was our allotted expedition leader, a veteran of 4 previous ascents. Last summer, Yuki and Reiko had been defeated by typhoon conditions at the 8th station, blown groundwards with the cone-topped summit in sight. Tonight was their night, and ours too. With sunrise at 4.30 am Doug was sure that an easy-paced ascent would see us top out in good time to watch the new day break so we set off into the night, me elated to finally make tracks on the trail one year after first glimpsing her from the window of a Kamakura-Tokyo night train. Fuji was out of reach for me then but I had been called back and as the altitude increased ffrom 5th to 6th station and the night grew colder I didn't want to be anywhere else.
fuji.jpg

The trail is well-made and easy to negotiate, the ground like coarse powder underfoot in the gloom. Fuji was staying out of sight for just a little longer. The stations stretched out into the distance, their lights marking our route to the top: chains of lanterns 3000 metres in the air connected byt the strung-out pinprick glows of so many hikers' head torches. Or were they upwardly mobile ants making a moonlit commute to their lofty place of work?
With the temperature dropping Station 6 had a Himalayan feel to it: a rickety refuge propped up by solid wooden stilts and populated by hawkers of oxygen, noodles and other pick-me-ups.
328.JPG
258.JPG
A low burble of chatter was our soundtrack as we prepared to continue into the thinning night air. Minutes blurred as we passed the stations. Fuji became our world condensed, simplified into step after wearying step, a deadening sense of the increased altitude exaggerating the normal debilitating effects of sleep deprivation and exercise combined.

As the horizon begin to lighten we realised that we wouldn't make it to the summit in time for sunrise and with the temperature dropping to near zero, our fatigue called us to a halt somewhere between the 8th and 9th stations. It was time to wait, to our thoughts and our breath, to fight off the cold and the urge to sleep. We had taken our rocky seats, perched high in the upper circle and we were ready for the day's performance to begin. And so it did. Illuminated by the first glow of the sun, an ethereal band of red on the horizon turned darkness into dawn.
369.JPG
As the chord of light grew thicker the sun emerged, astonishingly fiery, nature's neon outdoing the wattage of our world effortlessly, languidly and gloriously.
419.JPG
We couldn't help but gasp at the sight, awe-struck by this great reveal: the new day laid out before us.
430.JPG
441.JPG
450.JPG
Countless peaks lay far below. To the north, east and west, clouds concealed their bases like frothy waves lapping rocks at sea. We were energised by the sun as it slowly soared higher, the colours changing as the temperature rose. Time seemed to slow again as this soundless performance continued. I've never seen such a beautiful sight and I'll hold it close. Climb Mount Fuji and you'll take a part of it away: it's priceless and it's free. We pushed on to the summit knowing that we had to move quickly both to defeat the sapping fatigue and to try and keep clear of the amazing queues that build up the higher you go.
451.JPG
489.JPG
In both our objectives we failed. With the top in sight we ground to a halt, just one group amongst hundreds more waiting patiently in line. Tiredness overcame me and without any momentum to keep me awake I fell asleep standing up.
512.JPG
I almost crawled to the top and utterly shattered, lay flat out, the hard ashy ground like a quilt. The top seems of another planet, the huge volcanic crater like a burnt martian marshmallow.
516.JPG
530.JPG
525.JPG
527.JPG
Another hour takes you round to the true summit, past the Post Office and the Observatory. We hadn't the time to get there, a bus already booked to take us back to Tokyo at 11am, so we took our photographs and made our descent. Rapidly. With our settings switched to auto-pilot we started down the powdery path like spaced-out spacemen bouncing back to terrafirma.
509.JPG
555.JPG
563.JPG
As the altitude decreased our senses sharpened and in 3 hours we were back at the 5th station carpark. The coach trip back to Shinjuku was a quiet one.
345.JPG
gordon l
Hill Bagger

Munros:247   Corbetts:45
Fionas:13   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:19   

Re: Mount Fuji

Postby Red Peak » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:24 pm

That's Ben Nevis on a Bank Holiday weekend, isn't it? :lol:
Red Peak
Munro compleatist

Munros:260   Corbetts:27
Fionas:23   Donalds:39
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:313
Wainwrights:214   

Postby gordon l » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:44 am

Ha, Red Peak, you're not far from the truth there. Sadly no pub at the bottom though :D
gordon l
Hill Bagger

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:26 pm

Thanks for posting, fascinating stuff. Amazing to see the numbers of people on the path - we should never say Scotland is busy!!
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Rekrab » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:06 pm

I thought Ben Nevis was busy!!!!!

MacKenzie
Rekrab
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:45

Postby gordon l » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:43 am

Paul- thanks for taking time to comment. It made Ben Nevis look like Cruach Ardrain on a quiet day. :)
gordon l
Hill Bagger

Postby DavyB » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:14 pm

Looks great Gordon, makes ours look small,but could'nt be doing with those queue's slowing me down, you know me Gordon, hope you had enough left in the tank for a speed descent, see you on the hills when you get back, it'll be hard to organise something to compare to that but!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
DavyB
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:21
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:11   

Postby gordon l » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:20 pm

Ha ha David, you would have caused all sorts of problems by not being able to stand still. The queues at the top were amazing, just at the point where you are totally knackered and want to push on you have to stop and stand and wait. That's when I conked out. We did a speed descent that you would have been proud of. A case of losing altitude before we were ko'd! Back in a week or two and can't wait to get back in the hills. See you've been busy as usual! :)
gordon l
Hill Bagger

Postby litljortindan » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:40 am

Saw this on Idiot Abroad 2. Obviously they had tried to contrive a humorous situation out of getting a non walker (so we were led to believe) to climb a big mountain. He was indeed knackered by the time he'd emerged from the night to the sunrise lit summit. However, there was an obvious an unconcealed euphoria at the beauty of the scene, despite the avowed "I feel sh**"". Really funny how a hill can cut across the hardest cynicism.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby ChrisW » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:45 pm

Beautifully written TR gordon, what a memorable experience though like other before me I am astounded by the hideous pile of humanity blocking the pathway up top....this is definitely not making my must do list :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Sarah86 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:31 pm

A wonderful walk report, clear to see how much it meant to you and how much you enjoyed the experience. I can't believe the queues!!!
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland