walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Getting creative with a Flake and 2 doughnuts on Ben More

Getting creative with a Flake and 2 doughnuts on Ben More

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:50 pm

Route description: Ben More and Stob Binnein

Munros included on this walk: Ben More, Stob Binnein

Date walked: 25/07/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 12 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It is always exciting when an invitation comes through to join someone on a day out on the hills. However, when its for a 100th munro climb then you know its going to something special, and it was. Garry aka Gagfax was heading up Ben More to go into treble figures and I was more than happy to tag along.

We met in the improvised layby on the A85, near Ben More farm and without too flaffing about by me (quick tighten of the laces) , we were off.

IMG_0088.JPG

Look out for the small, wooden ‘Ben More’ sign and go through the break in the hedge, cross a burn, then two stiles and you’re onto a landrover track. After 10 mins Ben More and Stob Binnein come into view .

Carry on for another 10 mins and then make the decision to tackle the endless grassy slopes on Ben More head on or continue on the track to see if there is an easier option further along. After a brief discussion, we decided on the latter. No point of having a track and not using it!!! It was only 9am and the sun was already feeling a bit fierce. We carried on until the track ran out and started on our climb heading south-east towards the bealach. (Bealach-eader-dha Bheinn). Its still a big of a slog but using the diagonal approach takes the sting out of it. So does sitting down and having a wee look around while slower members of the party catch up!
IMG_0092.JPG

About an hour and a half after starting we reached the bealach . Decision time again, Ben More or Stob Binnein first?

Garry chose Ben More first which suited me fine because I was dying to show him what I had brought along!!! And I was starving, which to be honest is my default state.!!! We followed the stony, scree path onwards and upwards and eventually the trig point came into view or should that be phewww!!! There’s a wee bit of a scramble over some rocks but there are well-placed foot and hand holds available or just skirt round the rocks for the easier option.
And so he had done it, the manchild had reached 100!!!

While Gagfax received well-deserved congratulations from the other walkers, I put together a culinary masterpiece!!!
And people wonder where my children get their artistic talent from??? No need to explore the gene pool any further methinks!!!
Being a gent Garry shared his goodies with me- smashing!!!

We sat at the top for ages and enjoyed the post-prandial rest.
One more last look at number 100 and then back down to the bealach.

I was now looking forward to climbing Stob Binnein especially with the easy climb and obvious path. Garry, had already climbed Stob Binnein after doing a route that included Cruach Ardrain, but he was happy to do it again from this different approach. After an enjoyable walk up (about 30mins??) you reach a short grassy plateau and the summit cairn is clearly visible ahead. The views from here, like Ben More, were amazing! It gave Gagfax a chance to ask me questions about what I could see and test my knowledge and it gave me a chance to give stupid answers and test his patience!!!!
IMG_0119.JPG
Yippee number 22 for me!!!

After another sizeable rest we started to make our return. We watched other people going back the way we came, mmmm we didn’t fancy that too much. So we followed the direct route west down from the bealach. It was the first time that day that we encountered any boggy ground and once past a big rock, the path improved and made the descent really pleasant. Before we knew it we were back on the landrover track. I was chuffed for two reasons, my water had run out and I had developed a bit of a headache (very rare for me). After a quick dive into his Mary Poppins rucksack, Garry produced a packet of crisps and a bar of chocolate for me- yum! Certainly helped the sore head!!
And so one of my favourite days on the hills was at an end :(

Once again Gagfax- well done matey :clap: :clap: and thanks for inviting me along. :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Getting creative with a Flake and 2 doughnuts on Ben More

Postby Graeme D » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:05 pm

Polly, yer report titles are becoming more and more eye watering! The mind boggles with this one! :lol: Someone once accused me of bizarre titles, and Kev has a track history and a fine line in the old funny titles as well, but I think you've taken the biscuit, so to speak! :lol: :lol: :lol: And well done to Garry too on joining the treble figures club. :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:10 pm

Graeme Dewar wrote:Polly, yer report titles are becoming more and more eye watering! The mind boggles with this one! :lol: Someone once accused me of bizarre titles, and Kev has a track history and a fine line in the old funny titles as well, but I think you've taken the biscuit, so to speak! :lol: :lol: :lol: And well done to Garry too on joining the treble figures club. :clap:

I'll take that as a compliment!!!! Cheers!!
pollyh33
Walker

Postby alfredo143 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:13 pm

Well done to you both. Great photos. :clap:
alfredo143
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:44 pm

alfredo143 wrote:Well done to you both. Great photos. :clap:

Cheers Alfredo. X
pollyh33
Walker

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:47 pm

Well,another fine report & an even better walk report title from you "polly",surprised the flake & 2 doughnts did not melt in that heat.
Well done also to gagfax on reaching 100 munros.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:07 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Well,another fine report & an even better walk report title from you "polly",surprised the flake & 2 doughnts did not melt in that heat.
Well done also to gagfax on reaching 100 munros.

Thanks GLW. I chilled everything the previous night and then tucked them under my platypus :D
pollyh33
Walker

Postby gagfax » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:37 am

Thanks for the congratulations folks. It was a good day out but a bit hot for me being a winter lover. Thanks a plenty to Polly for the company and the wee bottle of Talisker she presented to me along with the flake and doughnuts :D

I didnt do Stob Binnein along with Cruarch Ardrain, it was from the south along with its two tops. 8)

Here are some more of the photies from the day(btw P wheres your limp wristed summit pointing shot?)

Guy in white T shirt is a WH member sorry cant remember your name.

Mary Poppins?!?!?!?!?! :lol:

G 8)
gagfax

Postby tomyboy73 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:07 pm

well done again Gagfax, and for putting up with Polly, did you wear those invisible ear plugs i suggested , oops, she can see this :lol: Great report and title Polly , so did u go up between the two, i thought about goin up More first and then on to stobbinian and down the bealach from there. hopefully goin tomorrow :)
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby kevsbald » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:53 pm

Well done! Having straddled the Devil's p.....oint last night my next title will have to be good to beat this.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Del246 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:55 pm

Well done Gagfax on 100, fantastic. And Polly I have been waiting on this report since you told me you were trying to get Flake and Doughnut in the title ! Well done.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:11 pm

'I didnt do Stob Binnein along with Cruarch Ardrain, it was from the south along with its two tops.
'

Ooops sorry Garry, I wasn't paying attention!!! Probably too busy munching on my Haribos!!!

Limp wristed photo seems to have been erased :lol: :lol:

As for Mary Poppins..... you do manage to store an awful lot of stuff in that rucksack!!! Or maybe you would prefer it if I referred to it as TARDIS like...eh Garry???? :shh: :shh:
pollyh33
Walker

Postby gagfax » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:14 pm

I am not a Dr Who nerd. Im Not! Im Not! Im Not!!!!!! :lol:

Even though my text alert tone is a dalek saying exterminate :roll:
gagfax

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:16 pm

kevsbald wrote:Well done! Having straddled the Devil's p.....oint last night my next title will have to be good to beat this.

You're the epidemiologist. If you can't wangle (catching?) Mephistophilis into that title no-one can!!!!
pollyh33
Walker

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:27 pm

tomyboy73 wrote:well done again Gagfax, and for putting up with Polly, did you wear those invisible ear plugs i suggested , oops, she can see this :lol: Great report and title Polly , so did u go up between the two, i thought about goin up More first and then on to stobbinian and down the bealach from there. hopefully goin tomorrow :)

Thanks Tommy, now I know what he was doing with the Haribo jelly babies!!!!

Yes we sort of cut across the grassy slopes and approached the bealach that way. Other walkers did use that option on their descent. What you could do is just use the WH recommended descent path for your ascent, which takes you directly up to the bealach. From there both climbs are really straightforward- honest!!!
Last edited by pollyh33 on Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
pollyh33
Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland