walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tipsy on Stob Ban

Tipsy on Stob Ban

Postby dogplodder » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:33 pm

Route description: Stob Ban (Mamores) and Mullach nan Coirean

Munros included on this walk: Mullach nan Coirean, Stob Bàn (Mamores)

Date walked: 19/06/2010

Distance: 13 km

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With two 60th birthdays to celebrate we set our sights on Stob Ban and Mullach nan Coirean. I liked the look of the ridge between the two when I was up the Mullach in 1997 so was keen to get up there again. We decided to use the route WH suggests starting at Polldubh where we were so excited to get going we forgot to put a parking ticket on the car, which was a slight worry when we remembered about it but not enough to spoil our day!

Here's a view of the two hills taken early one morning from the Ben Nevis path.

DSC00298-small.jpg

Stob Ban and rescue helicopter

DSC00299-small.jpg

Moira and I left first and followed path up east side of Allt Coire a'Mhusgain. Chris and Janice were to catch up later.

DSC01269-large-small.jpg

DSC01270-large-small.jpg

We saw walkers ahead which distracted us from a left turn we should have taken. We followed in their direction until the path came to an abrupt end at a piece of vertical rock beside a gully. Thinking it strange WH hadn't mentioned this we dithered around for a while trying to find handholds before resorting to a bit of inelegant grass-clutching to heave ourselves up. We then realised our mistake - that we should have gone left up the zig zag path - and had some steep climbing to put ourselves back on track where we found Chris and Janice sitting patiently waiting for us! :lol:

DSC01271-large-small.jpg

As usual Jack was up ahead scouting out the path. If I'd known then what I knew later I'd have encouraged him to go and take a drink at this point!

DSC01274-large-small.jpg

Now we got a proper view of the east side of Stob Ban.

Hillwalks 2010 106-large-small.jpg

Looking down into Glen Nevis with the bulk of Ben Nevis appearing opposite.

DSC01276-large-small.jpg

DSC01277-large-small.jpg

The final climb was steep with loose stones - the kind I'm happier going up than coming down so I was glad we were doing it this way round. My feet were so hot at the top I took my gaiters, boots and socks off and wandered around taking photos in bare feet which got me strange looks from the next folk up who must have wondered if I'd done the climb in bare feet. :D

DSC01279-large-small.jpg

Sgor an Iubhair from Stob Ban

DSC01280-large-small.jpg

The Ben from Stob Ban

DSC01281-large-small.jpg

Jack checking out the way down.

DSC01282large-small.jpg

Once we'd all arrived Chris produced the champagne to celebrate Janice and Moira's 60th birthdays!

DSC01283-large-small.jpg

The four of us on the summit cairn - all a bit tipsy, including the dog! :shock:

Hillwalks 2010 131-large-small.jpg

So begins the rocky descent.

DSC01286-large-small.jpg

DSC01287-large-small.jpg

Finding water for dogs on the hill is not usually a problem but there is no water on Stob Ban or for most of the ridge. :? Jack was feeling the heat so I gave him some of the water I was carrying and went on quickly until we found peaty pools at the col below MNC where he had a long drink and a wallow while the others caught up.

Hillwalks 2010 122-large-small.jpg

DSC01289-large-small.jpg

From the pale grey quartzite of Stob Ban to the red granite of Mullach nan Coirean.

DSC01291-large-small.jpg

Hillwalks 2010 140-large-small.jpg

Ben Nevis

DSC01292-large-small.jpg

The ridge

DSC01293-large-small.jpg

Start of the descent off MNC, the grey top of Sgurr a Mhaim opposite

DSC01294-large-small.jpg

DSC01295-large-small.jpg

The last part of the descent was steep with bog hopping and we were glad to get on to the forest path that led back to the car to find we didn't have a parking ticket. :)

Another fabulous day ended with a meal somewhere in Glen Nevis but can't remember its name. It was still too warm to leave Jack in the car so I fed him and tied him outside where I could see him and the staff made sure his water bowl was kept well topped up!

I was waiting for gizmogirl to do her own report on this walk, but since she hasn't I've added a few of her photos (which are different from mine) in an additional post.
Last edited by dogplodder on Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Stob Ban & Mullach nan Coirean

Postby skuk007 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:53 pm

Great report and stunning views, enjoyed reading. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby soulminer » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:29 pm

Fine day out on a pair of cracking Mamores 8)
Reversed your route and tagged on Sgurr a' Mhaim and the Devils' Ridge(because he made us :shock: :shock: :twisted: ) :lol: on a similar day. Mind you we enjoyed it as much as you enjoyed yours :lol:
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby dogplodder » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:32 pm

Any tips for Devil's Ridge? I'm planning Ring of Steall - probably other way round than WH suggests - to avoid steep drop off Sgurr a Mhaim for the poor old knees :shock:
dogplodder

Postby soulminer » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:59 pm

Don't be phased by it, take your time. One small hands on part, once over that your fine :)
soulminer

Postby monty » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:31 pm

Hi Dogplodder. You must be the infamous bare foot munro walker :lol: happy birthday to the two youngsters. Yep there is not much water on those hills once you get to any real height. Nice report with excellent photos.

p.s. i done the ring of steall walking up Cairn a mhaim only a few weeks ago. There is no real scrambling required on the devils ridge, just use the clear bypass path. :D
monty

Postby dogplodder » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:54 pm

Thanks guys.

Hey monty just read your excellent Ring of Steall wrong way round report and now I'm raring to go! :) And oh yes all authentic dog plodders go bare foot on the hill - my two have yet to resort to boots although I do believe such items exist 8) Other reason I want to go same way as you is I don't fancy the wire bridge and would rather get wet boots at end of walk than at the start!
dogplodder

Postby monty » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:20 pm

Hi Dogplodder, Just remember I went round quite fast. Take your time going up carn a Mhaim and expect 8 hours for the trip. Also take water for the dog because there is no water for the full trip. :D
monty

Postby dogplodder » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:57 am

Yes, I did notice how fast you did it - wow! You reckon I need to allow 8 hours for the round trip? Errm... I think more like 9 or 10 - I'm nothing like as young and fit as you and I'm up there to enjoy it and that includes lots of breaks to soak up the views! :D
dogplodder

Re: Tipsy on Stob Ban

Postby dogplodder » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:38 pm

Janice on ridge between Stob Ban and Mullach nan Coirean
Hillwalks 2010 139.jpg

Chris and I about to drop down before the final ascent
Hillwalks 2010 142.jpg

Someone will know which these are...... I'm not sure
Hillwalks 2010 144.jpg

Summit cairn of Mullach nan Coirean
Hillwalks 2010 148.jpg
dogplodder

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland