walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Lyon Horseshoe

Glen Lyon Horseshoe

Postby pruney84 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:22 am

Route description: Càrn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Càrn Mairg & Creag Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm, Càrn Mairg, Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean), Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg)

Date walked: 30/07/2011

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 19.7 km

Ascent: 1403m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Did the horseshoe a couple of weeks ago with my workmate Chris and his dog. This was to be a walk of a couple of first's for me. I broke into double figures for a start :D It was also my first munro walk where i could get walking in shorts and t-shirt which was very pleasant compared to my last outing!! Finally it would be the first time I had attempted more than 2 munro's in one outing :)

We left home at 6am tired but raring to go, Chris had just done his 50th munro through the week in a 50k epic in the Cairngorms so I didn't think he'd be keen to come but there was no stopping him.

Arrived to a full car park so after finding a space we were off and walking by 9am. I was looking forward to this walk all week as MWIS had forecast 90% chance of cloud free munro's although I know they can get it wrong and I was slightly worrried we couldn't see any tops early on. This only lasted around half an hour though (relief) as the clouds disappeared and never really returned all day after that.

The ascent up Carn Gorm was fairly tough going as the heat picked up slightly but with some great views starting to open up I was really enjoying it. After stopping for a bit lower down we made the summit in decent time just after 11. The toughest ascent of the day had now been completed as the drops between the rest of the hills aren't to bad after this.

100_2250.JPG
Carn Gorm

100_2257.JPG
Carn Gorm

100_2259.JPG
Carn Gorm Summit

At the summit there are two cairns, the actuall summit on the map seems to be below the other cairn further along although we vistited both, maybe my eyes were just playing tricks on me!

Continuing our walk it didn't take long to reach our 2nd Munro of the day, Meall Garbh. This was to by my 10th Munro Climbed...Double Figures..Woo..early days yeat but progress all the same! Not the most memorable of summits for my tenth with the rather strange fence post trig point but at least we were getting superb views all around for it!

100_2261.JPG
looking to Meall Garbh from Carn Gorm

100_2268.JPG
Number 10!!!!

We didn't hang around for long here and pressed on to our third munro of the day Carn Mairg. We decided we would have lunch at it's summit but it was further than it seemed and i seemed to be getting hungrier. By the time we got there I was starving and the food was consumed in a record speed! :lol: With some good views over to Schiehallion this was a great wee spot for lunch and also this would be our highest point of the day.

100_2276.JPG
Surrounding View

100_2277.JPG
Carn Mairg Summit

100_2278.JPG
Schiehallion

100_2281.JPG
Carn Mairg Steep Descent

The descent from Carn Mairg is steep and quite rocky so is one of the trickier sections of the walk. By the time we had started ascending our final munro of the day Meall nan Aighean my legs were really starting to get tired and the heat was wearing my down, for the first time in the day I started to feel well...knackerd really :lol:
Upon reachin the top we had a wee ten minute breather and got a couple of more photo's and a blether with some fellow walkers which was good. I could have sat there for ages but with a three hour drive home to be done still I wasn't wanting to be to late home!

100_2289.JPG
Meall Nan Aighean Summit

100_2284.JPG
Looking back to Carn Mairg

100_2285.JPG
Looking Back to Meall Garbh

100_2286.JPG
Looking Back To Carn Gorm

100_2287.JPG
Schiehallion

On the final descent to the car I was really feeling it on my knees, wished I brought the poles now but I guess it saved carrying them at the other parts, the descent took around an hour or so and was tough but we were rewarded with some fine views down into Glen Lyon

100_2290.JPG
Glen Lyon

We returned to the car and I was glad to get a seat, it had been a great day in great weather, sure I was finding it tougher at the end but that's what it's all about i guess, the weather and the views had been tremendous and with this bieng my longest walk so far it helps prepare me for what will be even longer walks in the Cairgorms etc. This would be a good walk done in reverse also i'm sure, would recommend the walk for it's views.
pruney84
Mountaineer

Munros:42   Corbetts:1
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Glen Lyon Horseshoe

Postby pruney84 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:33 pm

Had trouble uploading this, didn't seem to be on reports board till i put this reply in
pruney84
Mountaineer

Munros:42   Corbetts:1
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby rockhopper » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:46 pm

congrats on your double figures and you got a good day for it :thumbup: nice to see what I missed in the clag 8)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby lomondwalkers » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:30 pm

Well done on getting to double figures, still to be let loose on the Lawers Range, An Stuc looks a bit tasty! 8)
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby DFriedrich » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:06 pm

Nice report and it is especially nice to see what the second half of the route looks like in good weather. I did the walk a couple of weeks after you and it were also my munros 9 to 12 ;-)
DFriedrich
Hill Bagger

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland