walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

schiehallion -west ridge

schiehallion -west ridge

Postby AlisonFox66 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:44 am

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 05/08/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 880m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Being a perverse sort of person , this route had been on my mind for a while .
Most other Munros usually have at least one alternative route , but not Schiehallion - I guess this was the reason for trying this
I got off the train at Pitlochry and the 8.52 Broons Bus to Kinloch Rannoch was in the west end car park . The driver recognised me , I travel that bus around twice a year but for some reason people remember me .
it is a good bus service and I got chatting to the driver before we set off . I told him my intention and he gave me some advice on my route . I promised that i would get the 16.45 bus back just to reassure him that I had got down safely .
The bus dropped me off at Kinloch Rannoch . The problem I have with the east ridge of Schiehallion is that it is such a long way to the start from the bus route and I usually need to hitchhike .No such problem with the west ridge . It was quite a short walk (2 miles) round to the start at grid ref 690576. I went up the track next to a farm and followed the Tempar Burn easily upwards . Schiehallion looked magnificent in the distance .

At about Grid Refernce 697560, I set off up the ridge of Schiehallion.There wasn't much of a track but there was no real difficulty either . the going was very heathery at first , getting less so as I climbed . The climb was steep but no scrambling and I was at the top in just over three hours from Kinloch Rannoch.

The summit was a delight , both for the hill itself and also for the number of children on the summit . It seemed to be the fourth or fifth Munro for a lot children - what a great starter hill.

I returned the same way , to keep my promise to the bus driver . I resisted the temptation to break this promise and hitchhike back to Pitlochry , but could not resist an ice-cream in Kinloch Rannoch .

I great day and guess little things please little minds - I had been up the hill the naughty way and was pleased

I would like to return in winter as I think this ridge would go really well with crampons .

if you have a car - er... could be tricky , no i am not sure where to park for this

The timings for this walk include the distance walked from Kinloch Rannoch and back and I was slower than usual so it isn't that long a day
AlisonFox66
Ambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:497   Hewitts:311
Wainwrights:214   

Re: schiehallion -west ridge

Postby malky_c » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:14 am

Hmm...doing this ridge then dropping down into Gleann Mor on the south side would give a completely different perspective on the hill to the usual route. I'm sure the Tempar Burn is mentioned in one of my Munro books, but with a note saying access is discouraged. Lucky we now have better legislation :)

Does the bus go all the way to Rannoch Station? it could give some useful additional options for when I do Beinn Pharlagain if so.
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:313   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby AlisonFox66 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:11 pm

The bus goes all the way to Rannoch station on Mondays, Wedesndays and Fridays only
AlisonFox66
Ambler

Fionas:219   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:497   Hewitts:311
Wainwrights:214   

Postby morag1 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:01 pm

Didnt know there is an alternative route up Schiehallion, thanks for the info :thumbup:

Have just looked at your hill-bagging count. It is very impressive Alison, cant be many hills you have not climbed?
Think you must have more hills ticked off than anyone else on this site :D
morag1

Postby kinley » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:42 pm

You can park a car near West Tempar - NN 690 505 if I remember right. We took a look at a N approach to Carn Mairg a few years back from there.

Considered that approach to Schiehallion at the time - sounds alright. 8)
kinley

Postby Klaasloopt » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:18 pm

All approaches to Schiehallion seem more interesting to me than the standard east ridge option. For instance, there's routes from the south: across from Fortingall (bus from Pitlochry), from Garth Castle, both including Gleann Mor and the caves. Or from SW, across the Cairn Mairg / Carn Gorm set of hills to the foot of the east ridge. For campers.

Good to hear from someone who doesnt use a car. And what a list of climbed hills!
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

Postby Graeme D » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:54 pm

No piccies??? :( Interesting route - one I'll bear in mind for when I finally get around to revisiting my first Munro.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland