walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Fuar-mhonaidh

Meall Fuar-mhonaidh

Postby Mover68 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:59 pm

Route description: Meall Fuar-mhonaidh, near Drumnadrochit

Fionas included on this walk: Meall Fuar-mhonaidh

Date walked: 11/08/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 561m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The day before the walk, it had rained all day, so we prayed to the sky Gods that tomorrow would be a better day. Sure enough, we awoke to blue sky above Moray, so the car was loaded up and we headed off for Loch Ness.
As my wife and I are new to this hill walking lark, the sight of the days objective looming large over us as we approached the car park filled us with a mix of excitement and a hint of trepidation. The hill summit was clear but the grey clouds were gathering just above it.
After walking through picturesque woodland, we soon emerged onto open moorland, and began the steady climb to the ridge. Once on the ridge and over the deer fence, the path turned left and a steady climb towards the top was begun. The views on the ascent were excellent, with Loch Ness coming more into view with every step along with the surrounding hills. Unfortunately the legacy of the previous rain was all to obvious, with a number of detours neccesary to avoid the excessivley boggy bits!!
The final 200 metres became more steep, so it was head down and go for it until the top was reached. The views were fantastic, with the Great Glen sweeping down towards Fort William and Ben Nevis, and virtually the whole of Loch Ness visible. Then it was lunch and photo's before we turned round and headed back. A perfect way to spend a few hours in the Highlands!!
Attachments
Meall Fuar-mhonaidh 001.JPG
Meall Fuar-mhonaidh 004.JPG
Meall Fuar-mhonaidh 005.JPG
Meall Fuar-mhonaidh 011.JPG
Meall Fuar-mhonaidh 014.JPG
Meall Fuar-mhonaidh 017.JPG

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Mover68
Mountain Walker

Re: Meall Fuar-mhonaidh

Postby Shuggy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:50 pm

Has anyone tried to walk to the summit from the opposite side at Alltsigh Burn? I was thinking of trying that.

Thanks,

Shuggy.
Shuggy
Mountaineer

Postby starrynights » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:34 pm

Shuggy wrote:Has anyone tried to walk to the summit from the opposite side at Alltsigh Burn? I was thinking of trying that.

Thanks,

Shuggy.

Yes, I've done that Shuggy, prefer it to the other direction, - views back down the loch are better I feel. Not sure if I have a record of the route I took, it was a few years ago but will see if I can remember it and put on here. I know I started from Invermoriston or thereabouts! :)
starrynights
Munro compleatist

Postby HighlandSC » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:05 pm

Good stuff. It's a cracking hill with great views and a good one for newcomers to hillwalking (as I was when I did it). I hit it on a brilliant day with an inversion over Loch Ness and views from Ben Nevis to Ben Wyvis, like the entire Highlands sprawled out infront of me.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:55 pm

Will have to put this on the to do list next time i'm up at Inverness, looks a good walk with some nice views :thumbup:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Shuggy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:24 pm

starrynights wrote:
Shuggy wrote:Has anyone tried to walk to the summit from the opposite side at Alltsigh Burn? I was thinking of trying that.

Thanks,

Shuggy.

Yes, I've done that Shuggy, prefer it to the other direction, - views back down the loch are better I feel. Not sure if I have a record of the route I took, it was a few years ago but will see if I can remember it and put on here. I know I started from Invermoriston or thereabouts! :)

Thanks,

I guess one follows the burn to some extent. Is parking allowed near the Youth Hostel at the bottom?

Shuggy
Shuggy
Mountaineer

Postby fraochydug » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:28 am

I guess one follows the burn to some extent. Is parking allowed near the Youth Hostel at the bottom?

Shuggy[/quote]

if you park by the youth hostel, theres a track opposite, next to a guest house. take a left and follow it for about 250m SW, then theres a sharp right N. the track follows a deep gorge for about 1.5mi before a marked track up the hill. its a longer but easier walk than from Bunloit
fraochydug
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   

Postby Shuggy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:40 am

fraochydug wrote:I guess one follows the burn to some extent. Is parking allowed near the Youth Hostel at the bottom?

Shuggy

if you park by the youth hostel, theres a track opposite, next to a guest house. take a left and follow it for about 250m SW, then theres a sharp right N. the track follows a deep gorge for about 1.5mi before a marked track up the hill. its a longer but easier walk than from Bunloit[/quote]

Thanks,

We are going to try the Alltsigh route this weekend. Hope the weather is tolerable.

Shuggy
Shuggy
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland